OT- Denied Health Insurance

Old 10-13-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT- Denied Health Insurance

My husband is closing his company and I am starting a new full-time job on Monday. They will not insure us for 90 days, so I applied for Keystone online. My husband was accepted, but I was rejected because of my fractured elbows, (which I only have 1 more doctor's appointment left then I'm done), and my daughter takes one medication.

I am totally floored. It's not like we have chronic health problems. I'm now wondering if I should have lied on the application. I didn't think we would be rejected because of a couple of minor things. It's not like we have heart disease or diabetes, etc. How the heck do the elderly get insured. I guess I'll try Aetna, and lie.

Thanks for letting me vent. Any advice?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Who is your ins throught now? You should be able to get a cobra plan where pre existing things don't matter. They are very expensive but worth it if you can swing it.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We have Keystone right now, but it's under my husband's business, that is folding next week.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

I always thought a health insurance company would pick you up as long as you have had exsisting insurance with no lapse. I'm going to ask my boss about this. He sells that sort of insurance. Either way that really stinks. Have you checked with your husband's health insurance company to find out if they will still cover you for a certain period of time after the business closes?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think COBRA would depend on the size of his business - very small companies do not have to provide the coverage. Some states have guaranteed coverage with pre-x, others don't ...perhaps PA is one that doesn't.

You did the right thing even though you are unhappy with the outcome. I know something better will come along. Telling a lie on the application is called insurance fraud and can have serious consequences. If you filed a claim and they checked prior medical claims, not only would they void your policy and deny your claim, they may refer it to the State's insurance fraud unit for fines or other penalties.

Hugs
Old 10-14-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Many years ago, after our daughter graduated from college, she had health insurance with her job. She went to the doctor for an ear infection, when she filled out the medical history; she checked that she had had ear infections in the past. Her insurance would not cover that visit, because they claimed it was a pre-existing condition. What child has never had an ear infection? Insurance companies are getting away with murder ~ and have been for a long time.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just emailed my husband's insurance broker, and asked her if we can just continue to pay our coverage under my husband's business name until my insurance kicks in at my new job. As she probably doesn't work on Sunday, I'll find out tomorrow. If not, I will look into the Adult Basic and chip, Notmenoway. I was awake all last night worrying about this. I woke up my husband in the middle of the night and told him I guess we're going to have to go to clinics if we don't get insured. He told me to stop worrying, everything will work out. I sure hope he's right.