serenity prayer tonight

Old 10-08-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

serenity prayer tonight

My addicted sister and abf came to my parents on Friday admitted to their problem and wanting help.
They let the guy stay thru the weekend, telling my sister she would need to call and get help on Monday. My sister called places today, but can't get a rehab appt. until next Saturday. I don't know much about rehabs, but if someone wanted help right away, wouldn't it be possible? Not my issue.

In the meantime, my parents said the bf can't stay there anymore. If he can't stay, my sister said she isn't either. So, they both just left on foot and said they'll sleep in a park or somewhere else.

My dad is staying strong with this choice, but my poor mom is breaking down all over again. I reminded her of the phone list from our meeting.

I'm repeating the serenity prayer and trying to turn it over for the night.
Please let them stay safe.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is really hard to get immediate help for addiction. They do not consider detoxing an emergency. I think some hospitals will give you something for the discomfort.
You pretty much have to tough it out until you can get an app. It is a shame that there isn't anywhere to go for immediate help. At least that is the way it is where I live.

If your sister is really serious about getting help she will. Tell your mom not to worry that addicts are very resourceful people and she will find a way for herself.

Hugs and prayers to you and your family...........Lo
Old 10-09-2007, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

your dad is right.if he is uncomfortable with all of this they had to go.it is not your parents responsiablity. i hope they find rehab soon & get the help they need.prayers for your family.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

My alcoholic husband got help by saying he was suicidal and a danger to himself in the ER. (He WAS a danger to himself but that is a whole nother story). They would take him in and get him in the psyche ward. From there he would go to rehab.. of course he had good health coverage.

No idea how it works if you have no health insurance.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is all new ground for me. I do know that getting into rehab can take some time, especially for the ones that don't cost a fortune. But I thought detoxing WAS a medical emergency and the hospital system would get someone through that part?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is an emergency depending on the drug. Some cause seizures, etc and that is emergent and they have to keep you for detox, others...cocaine, met, marijuana have no withdrawl or side effects, of so I was told on our past round, first time w/ no insurance!

Most county's have places and there are detox centers for indigent, but they are usually first come, first serce. google your city, free or indigent detox or rehab. That's how I found one.

Prayers for your family, it is harder on a parent than you will ever know!

susan
Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, they tried to come back to the house around 1 am. Dad said my sister could come in, but the bf couldn't. Sister said a few choice words and they took off again.

In the morning, they came back and my dad was going to take the bf to get an ID for the rehab appt. on Saturday. He told both of them they couldn't stay and lie around all day. My parents do not want the bf there. My sister won't be without him, so dad dropped them off somewhere they asked. Been there all day and night. No calls. They may need to look into getting some kind of temporary guardianship of my niece.

In the meantime, my parents picked up my niece from pre-school and she had a super day. The sticker said so. I stopped by to play and read to her after work.

I'm looking at the positives even more so now and living my life. My serenity is too precious to give up. My sister will make her choices and my parents will keep making theirs.

Thanks for all of the responses. Sometimes it feels like it gets worse before better, but there are lessons to be learned through it all.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((aztchr))))))

It's true what they say...
"it's always darkest before the dawn".
Whatever the he!! that means.
Man! I am so sorry for your mom, your dad, your sister, and even her abf.
I have had to turn my own son away before. He slept in the closet of a laundry room
in my apartment building until I woke up. He then asked me to take him to the "boonies". He's been there ever since. God love'm.
Sending you prayers for strength and serenity.
Linda
Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Wow! What an awesome sister. I am sure your attitude and help gives strength to your parents.