Just wanted to share....we had a breakthrough!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to share....we had a breakthrough!

Last night I “caught up” on a show that has become near and dear to my heart, Intervention. My RABF came in the room and started watching with me. I used to be afraid to bring up the show with him because of how he might react. Instead, he did the EXACT opposite. After the one episode was over he questioned me on it. He asked me if that was how I felt about him, was this something I considered doing, etc. I said yes. His reactions to watching an addict from the “outside” was amazing. He was shocked to see it. It was enlightening to watch him see his addiction battle from the outside looking in.

The best had to be when the one man in the one episode talked about being a codependent and M looks at me and goes, “Cate, that’s you”. And I agreed. Yes, it is. I am that father/mother/daughter/friend/aunt/cousin that loves too much. And that FINALLY made sense to him.

For the first time, I believed him when he said how sorry he was for what he has put me though and how he wants to stay “better”. Baby steps. . .I guess. I am still battling my own issues, but one thing at a time.

I just wanted to share. I thought you all would appreciate that.

HAPPY FRIDAY!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That show is wonderful and I try to watch it when I can. I have also attempted on several occasions to have my daughter watch it...but..that never worked out. She always found some reason to leave the room. I went online and requested to be put on that show over 8 months ago but never heard back. I don't think it would have helped her much because she isn't ready to get help.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay, I am glad for you Cate....baby steps is always good. Maybe this will help him want to stay sober!!! I a mhappy for you today!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

It triggers me and the scenes of active use trigger my daughter...so we neither one can watch - but I "get" how it can be a catalyst to good conversation.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not able to watch that show either, it's just too painful.
When the commercials come on, I actually change the channel.

hmm... maybe "I" have issues.... NAAAAA!!!
Colleen
Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I hardly ever miss that show, I even watch the reruns. I saw that show before I found SR in fact I think that show gave me the insentive to go surfing on the internet for something like SR. Hey, I'll have to write and tell them thanks.
I'm glad it had a good impact at your house and I hope it continues for you