Language of Letting Go - October 5

Old 10-05-2007, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - October 5

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Knowledge

Learn to let yourself be guided into truth.

We will know what we need to know, when we need to know that. We don't have to feel badly about taking our own time to reach our insights. We don't have to force insight or awareness before it's time.

Yes! Maybe the whole world saw a particular truth in our life, and we denied it - until we were ready to deal with it. That is our business, and our right! Our process is our own, and we will discover our truths at the right time, when we are ready, when the learning experience is complete.

The most growth-producing concept we can develop for others and ourselves is to allow ourselves to have our own process. We can give and receive support and encouragement while we go through this process. We can listen to others and say what we think. We can set boundaries and take care of ourselves, when needed. But we still give others and ourselves the right to grow at our own pace, without judgment, and with much trust that all is well and is on schedule.

When we are ready, when the time is right, and when our Higher Power is ready - we will know what we need to know.

Today, I will let myself and others have our own pace and time schedule for growth and change. I will trust that I will be empowered with insights and the tools for dealing with these insights, at the right time.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Maybe the whole world saw a particular truth in our life, and we denied it - until we were ready to deal with it. That is our business, and our right! Our process is our own, and we will discover our truths at the right time, when we are ready, when the learning experience is complete.
I remember the first time I drove my son to rehab. It was a 30 day program and when we got there the counselor had a meeting with both of us individually. I remember him telling me about addiction, about relapses and how the recovery process can be slow and even shaky for some.

I remember thinking "You don't know my son, he's done with using drugs and in 30 days we will all live happily ever after."

I remember meeting that same counselor several years later and saying to him "You must have thought I was so deep in denial. I don't understand why I didn't listen to you and understand what you were saying."

His reply was "I remember you and you just weren't ready yet to grasp the truth."

Thank God I wasn't. If I had know "the truth" in its entirety at that time, I think I would have driven off the first bridge I found. The truth was more than I could handle, so I handled the truth of that one day and left it at that.

It's been like that through my recovery. I could handle one day's worth of truth, about me and about addiction. But I have learned that living one day at a time, taking that day all by itself and making it through it with the help of my program, my support group and God, was all I ever needed. I learn more when I am ready to accept more, and not a moment before.

I need to remember that when I meet a newcomer. I need to remember that they are living in their truth of that one day. And I need to remember that one day is enough for any of us to handle and we no longer have to handle it alone.

Hugs
Old 10-05-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cmc

Thank you Ann for sharing.
Today, I will let myself and others have our own pace and time schedule for growth and change.
One benefit of my recovery, and in all areas of my life, is to learn how to give myself that same space and time that I would so easily allow for another person.