Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Morning News or Why You should never Leave Your Kids with an Addict Spouse

Old 10-02-2007, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

The title should really read why you should never leave your kids with an addict parent, or any other person in active addiction.....

Last night in a very close by City here the Police broke up a prostitution ring. They arrested 12 women.

One woman had her baby and her 5 year old with her as she turned tricks (including oral sex on a man in front of her 5 year old). She smoked Crack in front of her kids and was snorting coke.

While she was breast feeding her infant, she was seen snorting lines off of the baby...

Yup. She is breast feeding (so Junior is getting Hi too) and SNORTING LINES SHE HAD PLACED ON THE BABY WHILE HE WAS FEEDING!!!!!

If you have ANY thoughts about letting your kids go somewhere unsupervised with their addict parent, you might just want to think again.

When the story is in the Newspapaer I will include a link.....
Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Leaving a child with anyone active in addiction is leaving a child in a very dangerous situation.

Someone must be the voice of the child, never be afraid to speak out or do what is necessary to ensure their safety.

Thanks for posting this, Elana. It's a truth that must be faced, no matter how numbed we get to the devastation of addiction.

Hugs
Old 10-02-2007, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

As promised, here is the link to the story.
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...date=10/2/2007

The next time you worry about the "strength" to leave him and you have young children, read this story.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank God she was arrested and the children are now safe with relatives.
Trish
Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I heard on the news yesterday that Britney Spears has lost custody of her children until she passes long term tests of sobriety.

I was so relieved to hear that even though I have compassion and pray for the lost soul called Britney.

Protect the children first, everything else comes after that.

Hugs
Old 10-02-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ann, I was JUST going to post about the same thing. Addiction, alcoholism and irresponsibility know no status, no boundaries. THANK GOD for a judge who sees past money and power and fame and takes action in the best interest of the innocent children.

My heart breaks for those involved in the story Elana posted, as well as the celebrity one. No one chooses that life. Addiction is an ugly thing.

Cats
Old 10-02-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Thanks Elana. Although this story may seem extreme, the truth remains children are never safe when left in the care of an addict.

Addicts are not in their right minds and they have a profound affect on kids be it subltle or otherwise.

Who can afford to deny, bury their head in the sand over how the kids are affected?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

As I have said before.. Addiction is a leveler. Addicts pretty much all do the same things regardless of their social or financial status.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Addiction = It will take you there ....

As the addict spirals further and further down they descend into deeper darker levels ... down into the pitch black where it is cold and damp the addict can no longer see or feel anything for anyone INCLUDING THEMSELVES they are completely desensitized .. have demoralized and are being dehumanized ... it is here that pure evil resides. The addict has crossed over and into insanity and at this point death follows closely around every corner ... salivating and waiting with arms wide open.

(Thank God she was caught .. thank God the children are safe) Thank God, now maybe she will finally get the help she so desperately needs.

Passion
Old 10-02-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

now here is where I believe in capital punishment
Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

oops
Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not surprised at all by this...I've seen the ugliest things I ever saw in life surrounding the use of crack-I'm glad that none of it involved kids, though (what I witnessed that is). crack really does rob people of their humanity.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good thing she's in jail.

One down, how many millions to go?

God, sometimes it's so depressing.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A woman recently went to prison up here for killing her baby. The baby died from an overdose of cocaine that he got from breastfeeding. The mother was found guilty and is now doing time. When addiction affects children, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the addict. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, Elana. It's stories like this that put everything into prespective, isn't it? God, how I really truly hate addiction. I'm so glad the children are safe, and I hope services work with them for a long, long time.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I tell you when I hear of bad things happening to children, the innocent who didn't ask for this, I break down and cry for them. It tears me up so bad to see all these horrid things happening to them.
I was especially upset to hear about the little 3 yr old raped by a 37 yr old man ( all over the news).
When will it end, and why is it continuing to get WORSE instead of better?
I HATE drug addiction.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Exclamation My feelings too...

When I went to in-patient alcohol treatment a young mother was there that had been smoking crack and she dropped the crack pipe on her babies face and it burned a big hole in her face. Her Mother had the baby and brought her to the mom to visit. I just hated the whole scene....that is all I could keep in my mind for days. I chose to abuse my body with alcohol and I was lucky that none of my children were taken away from me. I always felt if I kept a clean house, food in the house, bills paid, kids fed and clothed, that I wasn't an alcoholic. :sweat

I did not realize the emotional harm I did the children and also my husband. He drank too & sometimes abused alcohol but he could take it or leave it. I couldn't leave it alone.....had a drink in my hand doing housework...etc.

When young mothers use drugs and nurse their babies, they should be investigated..I guess hospitals do report babies born with drugs in their systems. A child is precious and doesn't ask to be brought into this world. I never drank when I found out I was pregnant but it has been reported that the time from conception to knowing you are pregnant is when a fetus can be damaged. My babies were all healthy when born but I would go back to drinking as soon as I got out of the hospital.

kelsh