Collection calls

Old 09-27-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Collection calls

I have been getting calls everyday from my daughter's creditors. Usually I tell them that she does not live here anymore and I don't have an address or phone number for her and then I politely say goodbye and hang up. Well there is one person who keeps calling. Finally today I was rude to him and when he started to complain that I was being rude, I told him f you three times and hung up. Next time when they ask for my daughter I am going to tell them that she is dead. I don't want to change my number, I don't want to pay for caller ID. I don't want to give up my land line phone due to not totally trusting cell phones. So short of being rude everytime they call, if they continue to call I will just hang up as soon as I hear them asking for her. Just royally p*sses me off because I know that she has not given my number to anyone despite what they tell me Hugs, Marle
Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've thought about doing the same thing! :uzi2:
Old 09-27-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just curious, how do you think your daughters collectors got your number if you don't think your daughter gave it to them?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Our number is on file from the time that she was living at home and paying her bills (student loans, etc.) I have politely explained the situation and have requested that they do not call here again. Two of the collection agencies have stopped calling. It is only one person that calls repeatedly. The last time he called, he hung up on me when I started to question him. This time I returned the favor Hugs, Marle
Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get them too, Marle. I refuse to pay for anything of hers that went into collection.
It is her problem to take care of someday when she can. I do have caller ID, so I don't answer any restricted numbers or numbers I don't know.
I would do the same thing as you and maybe they will stop calling.

The beat goes on..........Lo
Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ask them to hold for just a moment - wait a few seconds - then ask them for THEIR name and number and tell them YOU'll call THEM back in an hour. They always hang up!

LH
Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh Marle, I still have calls from very small balances that were owed years ago.

I made the mistake of getting into it with one who actually asked me what kind of mother I was to raise an irresponsible son. Had I not gone off like a rocket I could have tried to get info to report him, but I blew it

I now just hang up. Believe it or not I used to feel guilty dong that. And it used to give me that sick feeling in my stomach knowing why he owed everyone and their mother (and his own mother of course)

Caller ID is free for me and I like it. It gives me choices.

It funny but reading this I just realized the calls have stopped recently. But I have no doubt they'll start up again, they always do. Every "round" he must get higher on the "crap" list because they call as early and as late as allowed.

(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Marle
You can check this in the internet to make sure, but as far as I know if the call is coming from a collection agency, once you tell them to no longer call you, they are not allowed to call you - I think you can even press charges if they continue. This doesn't work if it is the actual creditor.

I think I googled "collection calls" and found it. I could be wrong, but I think it's part of the Fair Standard's Act or something like that. I have told collection agencies "I am asking that you know longer call me and I know I have that right by law" and they've never called back. Of course, now I get letters

It's worth a try.

Amy
Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

I got a lot for my daughter. I told them...she is homeless, if you want her, call the police, I've listed her as missing. Due to the privacy act, the police cannot tell me where she is...but perhaps they will tell you!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

All you have to do is send them a certified letter telling them to stop calling.
I know it's a pain. Here's a great site that explains it well:
http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/...ion-calls.html
Old 09-27-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by hello-kitty View Post
Just curious, how do you think your daughters collectors got your number if you don't think your daughter gave it to them?

They found out my old roommate lived here, and we never shared a phone.
They must have looked up the address and found my phone number.

The others are right it's pretty easy to get them to stop calling after you request them to stop you can sue them for $5000.00 per call if they call again after that.
Or that's what it is here.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Marle....I know..it stinks...And I so relate to what you did...I did something similar to a very rude supervisor at a cable company said the wrong things at the wrong time....I think I called her a female dog It's so aggrevating...I think in your shoes I would feel as if my privacy is violated. I hope some of the suggestions above are helpful...or maybe he will now be afraid to call you back.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Marle, Same thing happens at my house. Thank God for caller ID. As soon as I see a phone number that's way out of state I know not to answer. The eventually do slow down. When I did answer I told them he didn't live here anymore. So they'd stop calling for a while. Once my husband answered and ask what they wanted and they wouldn't tell him, so my husband said you have no right to call my house all day and not tell us what it's in reference to. They hung up.

The calls stopped for a couple of months, then they start up again about once a week, then stop. That's cause we don't answer the phone anymore.

Hang in there. It's annoying, but they will eventually stop.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I get this from XABF stuff. He never had a phone number listed in his name. When he moved out I got an unpublished number. I get calls on occaision... and have sent the letters (about revery 6 moths) because he has incurred debts since then that he has not paid.... and they remember ME (and he figured out my number so maybe he gave them that one, who knows?).

so, I send the letters to EVERYONE, including the IRS, State Income tax and DMV... and he gets upset because "I" amd hurting "his" reputation. Uhhh... Wait a minute.. I have a huge credit score and perfect credit.. and I pay my bills. I think he is ruining his own reputation by NOT paying his bills. (He is an addict and does not see it that way).

BTW the letters work unless they incur new debt.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When my husband was in jail, I told them just that - he's in jail. And then gave them the number to the jail.

The calls stopped almost immediately. lol!

(I wonder if they actually called the jail and asked to speak to him.....wouldn't that be hilarious!)
Old 09-28-2007, 06:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

when my xhb was in jail, I just simply told them they had the wrong number. Not a lie, they asked for him and no such person lived there <wink>

My mom still gets calls from my sisters debt collectors and she does same thing, she also always makes sure they document that the number they have is Incorrect
Old 09-28-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i just screen them and give my daughter the name and number. she never calls them back. so they keep calling...

annoying.

hugs, k
Old 09-28-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My ex owes close to $20,000 on a storage unit and every month the bill comes to my condo which I own. Before he left on the binge, he opened a new bank acct and credit card with my address. I just don't want to deal with harassing phone numbers from collectors. That will tick me off.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((((marle)))) I think we've all done it. I've got collectors calling my cell phone for some man that I have never heard of....I tell them all the time that I must have gotten his old number but they don't listen. So now, I just pick up the phone and do something goofy.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We get this too from my ADIL. It is annoying. Some are really nasty and persistent. You have to be careful how much you say because I have had some accuse me of lying and pretending to be someone else and say I was her. The letter thing is legal. Once you send a letter asking them to cease they have to stop. If they call again you can sue them.

It is just an irritation. INHO...I would say sorry wrong number and hang up.

-Broken