Language of Letting Go - September 27

Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - September 27

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Temporary Setbacks

Sometimes, after we begin recovery, things in our life seem to get worse for a time. Our finances, our relationships, or our health may seem to deteriorate.

This is temporary; this is a normal part of recovery and healing. It may be the way things will be for a time, but not for long.

Keep working at recovery, and the trend will reverse. Before too long, things, and us, will be better than they were before. This time, the foundation will be solid.

God, help me trust You and recovery, even when I have setbacks. Help me remember that the problems are temporary, and when they are solved, I will be on more solid ground.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Keep working at recovery, and the trend will reverse. Before too long, things, and us, will be better than they were before. This time, the foundation will be solid.
Trust this, if you are new to recovery, I promise you that it is true.

The foundation, for me, was built by working the steps, each one a solid block that held firm while I worked the next one. That's why they are in the order they are in, each one gives us something solid to stand on as we take the next step forward.

Recovery doesn't promise us that we will never have dark or difficult days. It doesn't promise us that our lives will become wonderful overnight. What it does promise is that we will accumulate tools that help us cope with life on life's terms and that we will be capable of finding peace, beauty and happiness in our lives, regardless of how our addicts are doing.

Today there is not a problem in life that my steps and recovery cannot see me through. Today I see obstacles as learning experiences and perhaps God's way of setting me on a different, better path. Today I welcome them as a strangely wrapped gift that will help me grow in my recovery with confidence that I will make it through the hard times and find better times ahead.

Hugs