Hope for Today pg. 265 9/21

Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Hope for Today pg. 265 9/21

I read this page this morning and really got a lot out of it thought I might share it with my recovery family . . . .

Hope for Today (Al-Anon Family Groups)
Sometimes as I struggle with the effects of having grown up with the disease of alcoholism, the path seems too difficult to travel. I forget that there are ups and downs to any journey, and I feel overcome with disappointment with my seemingly slow progress. Then my Higher Power reminds me of a history lesson I once learned, and I regain hope.

An expedition of the Grand Canyon traveled along the Colorado River. Halfway through the canyon, the explorers encountered dangerous rapids. Some of the explorers were killed as the thrashing waters hurled them about. The others managed to get ashore where they gathered their wits to assess the situation. Although the river ahead looked choppy and menacing, some of the crew decided to forge ahead. They felt they had traveled too far to turn back. The others decided to return home on foot. The explorers who went ahead faced dangerous waters for a short period, but the remainder of their journey was safe, calm, and beautiful. Those who turned back actually face greater dangers, and they did not survive.

This story reminds me how valuable it is to persistently move forward in the program. When the road ahead looks threatening and I want to turn back to my old attitudes and behaviors, I remember that I'm not alone on my path. I have the wisdom of a Power greater than myself, the tools of the program, and the experience, strength and hope of my fellow travelers in Al-Anon to support me.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
During bleak periods of my recovery, my Higher Power reminds me that the best way out is through.
"Today I will pause at a crossroad and listen for my Higher Power's voice". Courage to Change p.81

So many times for me the road ahead does look very scary, but I know the road behind me was miserable - so I'm grateful to have what this reading talks about - my HP, tools of the program and my Al-Anon family to help me walk down those scary roads of the future - One Day at a Time.

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

So many times for me the road ahead does look very scary, but I know the road behind me was miserable - so I'm grateful to have what this reading talks about - my HP, tools of the program and my Al-Anon family to help me walk down those scary roads of the future - One Day at a Time.
Amen, sister, I'm walking with you.