Why is it called a disease???

Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Yes I agree.... The Book a "Child called It" made me cry... It was really a wonder he turned out the way he did.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I have read David Pelzer's books and it does make a person wonder how on earth that child ever lived like that or didn't become dependant on something such as drugs to take his memory and pain away.

Thank you for your kind words...you have no idea how much they mean to me. I am going to take me time this weekend and try to rest my mind somewhat. As for all next week I have a party to plan and will be too busy to worry much about anything but the party. I also finished up school this week....just really worried about what to do with my brain when my life slows down after next week. I guess one day at a time will tell.

Thank you all so very much again!!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by TrishaV View Post
just really worried about what to do with my brain when my life slows down after next week.

YOGA
LOL
Old 09-21-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

If it is a disease then how is it that the addict can pick the time when they are ready to give up their disease? It is a known fact that the addict will chose to give it up when they are sick and tired of living the addicted lifstyle. If I have cancer I can't decide the time that I want to go into remission.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
cmc

Trisha,
It took me awhile to realize I was not at fault. Just like any other mom, I wanted only the best life for my son. Addiction didn't fit into my plans.
It's not your fault.
hugs,
cmc
Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Living in the light

A's have a disease that no one caused. Other people are affected by As behaviors.

Codie's have a condition the As did not cause. Codependency often has roots in childhood or perhaps it arises when one is the parent of an A. Other people are affected by codies and their ill-at easeness. Codies do not cause As to drink or use.

The good news is As can live clean and sober once they decide they want a better way of life and are willing to change. There is a solution.

Codies can live a better way of life once they become willing and decide to work a program of recovery. Again, there is a solution.
There is no blame . It is what it is.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I asked earlier but no replies. So is addiction to healthy foods, church or exercise a disease too?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by TrishaV View Post

Thank you for your kind words...you have no idea how much they mean to me.
Funny thing is...

Many on SR do know and you are bringing them smiles as they read your post.

As for the pain and hurt you are feeling... I can't say that it goes away but I do know that the more I learn about addictions, the better I deal with the emotions and feelings that come from addictions.

Your not alone and you will find many who are willing to share what has worked for them. Those who have been there and done that and then found solutions of how to deal with it. It does get better,...maybe not easier but it does get better.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Afraid2succeed............ I'll try to answer you in the way that I understand. I think we all use the term "addiction" loosely. When we are extremely fond of something we say we are "addicted to" I think you can be extremely fond of healthy foods and consumed with the reasons why you should eat them. I wouldn't call that an addiction. I think you can be a very religious person who would not chose to live life without having a church be a very big part of your life.....an addiction? No. Some might call one a religious fanatic. An extreme obsession to exercise sometimes associated with anorexia could be a form of mental illness. I hope this answers your question. I am certainly not an expert on any of this....I am just giving you my viewpoint in the way that I see it.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

The person who is addicted to church can have the same brain activity as the alcoholic around alcohol. But one is socially acceptable while the other is not? If it is called a 'disease' and the brain activity is the same, shouldn't they both be considered 'diseases'?

Or the person who is addicted to mathematics (and they exist, they can even have orgasms from mathematics) is not considered an addict, but an opiate abuser is one?

I'm having trouble discerning what really are addictions. Is what's socially acceptable a factor in this judgment?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:29 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I asked earlier but no replies. So is addiction to healthy foods, church or exercise a disease too?
ONLY addicts will be addictive to the things you mentioned. With others it might be a habit.

I like this simple definition of addiction:

Using a belief, person, (yes you might call it codependency but it's really addiction)
or substance, to change the way you feel.. against your will.

When most people think of addicts they think of booze or drugs .. maybe gambling.
I'm just going to throw out a couple of things I have used as addictors in my lifetime that you might find funny, but for me it's real.
Video Games, Soap Opera's, The Gym.
To NON addicts this might not seem so bad.. I'm not out there robbing banks for my next fix, I'm not hocking my kids stuff..HOWEVER I can tell you that each of those three things ( This is aside from the booze and benzos) made my life MORE unmanageable than the booze did!
When I started a video game, NOTHING else existed .. I remember sitting there for HOURS when Halo first came out and I didn't care if WWIII errupted, just don't screw with my gaming time (8-9 hours at at time)
When I got on the Gym addiction cycle.. I was going every day for hours and let me tell you the high I got from the gym was better than any pill I could pop (for me anyway) but I was putting off other things/priorities just to spend time at the gym, I even one time forgot to pick up my daughter because my workout was more important. (that is still hard for me to realize looking back)
And I could go on about my very real addiction to soaps on TV. They ruled my days.
ALL OF those came before the booze and drugs.. so there is no question I was born an addict.

An addict can OVERDO, ABUSE and become addicted to almost anything.
Again, I repeat..addiction is not the disease.. it's a SYMPTOM of the disease.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

The person who is addicted to church can have the same brain activity as the alcoholic around alcohol. But one is socially acceptable while the other is not? If it is called a 'disease' and the brain activity is the same, shouldn't they both be considered 'diseases'?

Or the person who is addicted to mathematics (and they exist, they can even have orgasms from mathematics) is not considered an addict, but an opiate abuser is one?

I'm having trouble discerning what really are addictions. Is what's socially acceptable a factor in this judgment?
Your confused because I think your mixing opinion with science.. socially acceptable vs. fact/reality.

I can spin this in a way that might offend people..and please know I don't mean to.
The Bible quoting, every sunday church goer is always going to 'look" better to society than the booze infested drunk or drug infested addict.. (recovering or not)
That's SOCIOLOGY .. That is not fact, Why do you think we can't make progress with stem cell research when we know it's the answer to cure spinal injuries...? BECAUSE SOCIETY puts religion (superstitious beliefs) in front of medical evidince.
Evolution vs. Adam & Eve. Now I'm probably treading on thin water and don't want to get stomped on.. so I hope you get the idea of what I'm saying.

Once people understand that ADDICTION IS NOT THE DISEASE.. IT IS A SYMPTOM of the disease, it then becomes easier to understand.

ADDICTS ARE BORN... NOT MADE.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

:horse
Old 09-21-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

ROTFLMAO!!!!!