SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Laughter (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/133048-laughter.html)

CatsPajamas 09-20-2007 06:34 AM

Laughter

The most useless day of all is that in which we have not laughed.
--Sebastien R.N. Chamfort

When we wallowed in the self-pity of obsession, we were sure we'd never laugh again. How easy it was to weep, alone and secretly, inspired by sad music like "Born to Lose" or "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry."

What a shock it was to hear people laugh in our first few meetings! How could they laugh about something as serious as addiction? What an awakening when we were able to join the laughter!

We laughed with them as they laughed at the sad objects they once were. Today we can also laugh for pure joy at being free of restraints, and in gratitude for the resolve not to return to our old ways. We can laugh just for being alive.

Laughter is a source of growth for me. It keeps me thinking positively. It reduces the stress of problems. It tells me that any effort at progress is worthwhile. Laughter is progress.

You are reading from the book: Easy Does It by Anonymous

CatsPajamas 09-20-2007 06:45 AM

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 3/13

I’m apt to think of Step Seven – “Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings” – as a Step I take tearfully and on my knees. I’ve had that experience, but I want to entertain the possibility that Step Seven might be taken with joy – and even humor.

Sometimes the sign that I have actually gotten humble enough to ask my Higher Power to remove a shortcoming is that I can laugh about it. Suddenly a past action or decision of mine seems so ludicrous and I can stop taking myself so seriously. When this happens, I realize that my Higher Power has lessened the impact of another shortcoming. Real change often announces itself to me in the form of a belly laugh.

So the next time I want to tear my hair out because I haven’t gotten rid of some nagging shortcoming, I’ll try to lighten up and see how silly my intensity can be. When I’m willing to step back and see humor even in the areas that fall short of my expectations, I get out of the way and give my Higher Power room to work.

Today’s Reminder:

Desperation and pain can certainly lead me to humility, but in Al Anon I’m cultivating a new and eager willingness to follow my Higher Power’s guidance. Because I am willing, I am freer to learn from all of life’s lessons, not just the ones that hurt.

“’Humbly’ … means seeing myself in true relation to my fellow man and to God.” – Lois’ story.

CatsPajamas 09-20-2007 06:46 AM

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 3/31

Al-Anon is where many of us who have lives with alcoholism begin to grow up for the first time. We learn to face the world as it really is and to take responsibility for our actions. We deal with our feelings and share honestly about our experiences. We learn about ourselves and nurture our spiritual growth and our physical and mental well being. We become responsible adults.

An important part of the serious business of recovery involves recognizing our need to have fun – to take a trip, fly a kite, attend a concert, make noise, race down the street, or blow bubbles. Light-heartedness can put troublesome situations into perspective. It reminds us that there is more to life than the problem at hand.

Taking ourselves too seriously won’t solve a problem any quicker. In fact, taking a break may help more than continuing to struggle – even Jello must be left alone in order to form as it should. A good laugh may be the best tool available to help us let go, and we’ll come back to our task refreshed.

Today’s Reminder

A well-developed sense of humor helps me detach from my personal struggles and triumphs. I will avoid taking myself too seriously today.

“One inch of joy surmounts of grief a span,
Because to laugh is proper to the man.” Francois Rabelais

CatsPajamas 09-20-2007 06:51 AM

A well-developed sense of humor helps me detach from my personal struggles and triumphs. I will avoid taking myself too seriously today.
There was a time in my life when all I had was pain and fear and sorrow. I resented the people around me who could laugh and smile. OBVIOUSLY they didn't understand how horrible my life was...

I thank my HP every day that I have found a new way to live and to view my circumstances. TRUST me, I still have a fair amount of ick in my life, but today I can choose to be aware of, accept it and not let it ruin my whole day. If I can see it for what it is, it loses its power to dominate my thoughts and my life.

A belly laugh is good for the soul.

Cats

parentrecovers 09-20-2007 07:07 AM

live, laugh, love - cats! k

Ann 09-20-2007 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas
There was a time in my life when all I had was pain and fear and sorrow. I resented the people around me who could laugh and smile. OBVIOUSLY they didn't understand how horrible my life was...

'Scuse me, Cat, but I think you were living "my" life. I didn't even know that I hadn't laughed for a very long time until I came to SoberRecovery and met some of the funniest, most wonderful people I have known.

I don't remember the precise thread, but Morning Glory, Debbie, Smoke Gets In My Eyes, and JustTired got me laughing so hard it hurt and how wonderful it felt to just let go.

Today, my sense of humour can get me through almost anything. Laughing at life, laughing at myself and laughing with friends here keeps my days filled with sunshine.

Hugs

frankie_b 09-20-2007 07:39 AM

Laughter IS the best medicine. A day without laughter for Frankie is like a day without sunshine. I'm so glad hub has the best witty dry sense of humor. He keeps me laughing at home and of course feeds off my laughter too. I love love the fun threads here, and the people that get me :lmao at myself as well as with others. I often think HP has the best sense of humor.
Life may have been a vale of tears for codies before recovery and shared laughter heals, lifts us up and helps us put our troubles behind us where they belong. Woohoooo
I am grateful that in my family while growing up, laughter was always
part of our lives no matter what happened. Trust me alot of stuff happened! LOL

BigSis 09-20-2007 08:48 AM

I am very fortunate, as laughter is a coping mechanism in my family.

In Alanon, I have learned to temper my humor so that it is less sarcastic and cutting and much more self-deprecating.

:accf:

Elana 09-20-2007 12:12 PM

I have always tried to temper the worse circumstance with humor.

Let me share this:
I have had a couple of near faints pretty close together. The first one I explained away. The second one there was NO freakin' xplaining it away and it happened TWICE in a short amount of time.

Soooo.. time to see the Dr. and she orders tests up the Wazoo..

1st they draw blood. This is 3 vials. I sit down at the lab with the intake person and she starts asking me questions (name, DOB, the usual). Then she asks me my Religious affiliation if I have one.. I think it is odd, but I answer. Next she asks me who my next of kin is for notification... At this I said, " Wait a minute.. I am here so you can take 3 vials of blood, right? Or do you intend to take it ALL???" Brought the house down.. apparently the computers were down and all this is verified every time you go in, so they had to write it down.

Next test ordered is a CAT Scan of my brain. I said to the Dr., "are you SURE you want to look IN THERE????? This may not be anything you REALLY want to SEE!" she is not native to this country and she got all serious and looked at me and was silent for a minute then she GOT it... Started to laugh....

I get heart checked out next.. will find out if that is still working in a couple of weeks. I assume it is since I am typing this.

Now, don't get me wrong.. this could be real serious stuff. I could be in real trouble. Or not. I could worry and ruin my life until the tests are in and I go back to my Dr. to discuss the results.

However, I have chosen not to worry. Whatever is wrong has likely been wrong for awhile and I am quite pragmatic. Life will continue or not. Likely not much I can do to change that right now and I am eating right.. walk 3-4 miles a day so I know I am behaving in a healthy and responsible way (taking care of me).

If I drop dead well, I am doing what I can right now (and I believe this is unlikely.. Geeze loueeze MY Hp doesn't want me up there aggravating him and letting him know how he could IMPROVE the job he is doing... HE is going to keep me down here aggravating codies and A's alike.. as long as HE can I am sure!)

OTOH my life may change. I may end up on some sort of medication or whatever. I may have to change the way I do things.

So, I laugh and make a joke of it. Laughter IS the best medicine. I DO laugh.. and I did even when I was in so much CoDie Pain I thought my heart would explode. It is ESSENTIAL to laugh.

BTW while in the CAT Scan machine today and b4 the test started I was laying there and looking at the magnetic ring thing and I said, "Beam Me Up Scotty!"

CatsPajamas 09-20-2007 01:14 PM

(( elana ))

You have such a positive outlook. I really admire that. And you're right, the medical stuff will be what it is. Not much you can do about it until you know what you're dealing with.

We're hear for you... and we can laugh with you and cry with you thru all of it.

HUGS

Cats

Elana 09-20-2007 01:29 PM

Hi Cats and Thanks..

At least when they did the CAT scan the technician did not run screaming from the room yelling, "BATS! BATS!!! It's FULL OF BATS!!!!! DON'T LET EM LOOSE!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!"

embraced2000 09-20-2007 01:44 PM

laughter has always been one of my coping skills.....i learned it early on in childhood as a way to diffuse real yucky situations.

now, as an adult, i find humor in almost everything. i tend to have a dark sense of humor, but that has lightened somewhat since i have become healthier.

thanks for the thread, cats.....very good one

ctrom40 09-20-2007 03:19 PM

I have also used humor to get me through the worst of times. Growing up in a large Irish Catholic family you had to do something pretty wild to get noticed by my parents.

I think that I am funnier in person (no, really) than I am in print. I have to remember that people cannot see my eyes rolling and me smirking when I type something, so I do have to be careful not to offend anyone..... so I have learned to use the "LOL" often.

When things don't go as I thing they should, I find myself reminding myself that God does have a sense of humor...... and if you want God to laugh, tell him YOUR plans....

Also, I try not to take myself too seriously, cuz I am not getting out of here alive...

Laughs,
Colleen

Lovestoomuch 09-20-2007 05:56 PM

Taking ourselves too seriously won’t solve a problem any quicker. In fact, taking a break may help more than continuing to struggle – even Jello must be left alone in order to form as it should. A good laugh may be the best tool available to help us let go, and we’ll come back to our task refreshed.

Laughter is a source of growth for me. It keeps me thinking positively. It reduces the stress of problems. It tells me that any effort at progress is worthwhile. Laughter is progress.
This has soooooo been me since my first post here on SR. I've always been able to find something humorous about almost every situation I've ever found myself in. I find for myself anyhow.....it made this journey a whole lot less sad and depressing. I'd rather laugh at myself than cry over something I simply can't fix.........

frankie_b 09-20-2007 06:40 PM

:haha: Queen Colleen....If you want God to laugh tell him YOUR plans
Elena...:lmao Woman, you and your GREAT sense of humor are the best!
Thanks for the belly laughs you two....oh AND the snorks too. LOL

Hey, maybe we can start a jokes thread here. After all laughter IS the best letting go
I know.

Wascally Wabbit 09-20-2007 06:48 PM

Oh what I'd do for a really funny joke some days.

frankie_b 09-21-2007 06:55 AM

happysoul, I do that too! hehe Yeah well oh well is right!!!!
Homer Simpson is too funny! This is one of his:

Operator, give me the number for 911 :lmao

Bette Midler in concert is hilarious.
Through the years I've attended a number of Bette Midler concerts and she is one spirited hilarious woman!
One of her classics is Eff em if they can't take a joke!

It's sad when a person can't laugh at themselves or allow for laughter to flow...they are blocking their own inner jester.

GiveLove 09-21-2007 07:05 AM

I love laughing. It's medically proven to heal, even if you don't WANT to feel better, you're not READY to feel better, there's no WAY you could feel better...laughter goes under the radar and lowers your blood pressure, strengthens your immune system, activates the endorphins in your brain to feel good. Norman Cousins fought off cancer by watching hours of Marx Brothers movies every day...

So...if one WERE to start a joke thread here on SR....what would be the ground rules to keep it comfortable for everybody?

-Keep it pretty clean
-No slurs, please. We don't need any more hatred.
-Jokes, not funny anecdotes about our addicts' stupid behavior
-What else?

Just...hypothetically speaking of course. :D