OT The wildlife rehab center where I volunteer made news

Old 09-14-2007, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Smile OT The wildlife rehab center where I volunteer made news

My dear friends and colleagues,(( David )), ((Shirley)), and ((others)) at Ohlone Wildlife Rehabilitation Center are on this video. David is the one paid employee/manager, all others, myself included are dedicated, passionate volunteers.
A number of the ((young volunteers)) are pre veterinarian school students.

Click on the link. Scroll down the page to Multimedia Features, click on the baby birds, finches. Enjoy.
www.insidebayarea.com
Old 09-14-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Frankie!

That was so cool. What a great way to start my day!

Cats
Old 09-14-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Talking

Cats, we who work to raise and rehabilitate orphaned and injured wildlife get to
make a great start to our day often. I'm so glad the video made a great start to your day.
The center is open year round and our busiest time is from mid April through the second week of August. That's when so many orphaned baby birds and orphaned baby mammals ( not shown in the video) arrive at the center. I work an 8am through 1 pm shift three days a week and sometimes more during our busiest time.
I love love every moment of it! Now that I'm retired I have the time to pursue and do the things that make my heart sing.
The releases, once we have successfully rehabilited, nurtured and raised the animals
in our care are thrilling and so very very rewarding. We are specially trained in the care, handling, feeding and diagnosing the animals that arrive at our shelter.

In April a woman brought in a mama wild mallard duck and eleven sweet one day old
fluffy ducklings. They had wandered far away from the lake and were in peril, trying to cross a busy street. I released the dear family on another lake adjacent to my home a few weeks later. As I gaze at the lake today, I see many mallards and smile
knowing the family we protected are likely among the flock. I enjoy their quacking. LOL

My theme song is : Wild thing You make my heart sing. LOL

We care for the tiniest baby hummingbirds through my favorite raptor, the large
incredibly beautiful wise great horned owl you see on the video. I feel so fortunate
and blessed to have the privelege of being up close with all the wildlife in our care.
They give me so much more than I give them. That's the reward!!

The ducklings in this video are hybrids, meaning half wild and half domestic ducks.
Grrrrrrr seller entrepreneurs sell them at our local county fairs and any one can buy them, having no clue how to take care of them. Geeeez, what are these people thinking? Oh I get it. They're making money!!!!!!

Enough of that! Please friends before you get that cute live baby bunny or chick
at Easter time, think twice! Living creatures are not toys. Thanks my friends.

Last edited by frankie_b; 09-14-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Frankie -
I haven't posted on here before, but have been reading for months. I was watching the video with my cat (Elvis) beside me - as soon as he heard the birds his head popped up and his ears have been moving around, trying to figure out where the birds are! He's still looking at my laptop, now wondering where they went!
That's great work ya'll do and you all should be proud!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Welcome to SR Impurrfect. As you've beeen reading here for months, I'd like to say
I'm so glad you are here. This is a safe place. We share, care and support one another.
When you feel ready, you may want to post a new thread( see the blue button at the top of this forum) and tell us a little about yourself so more members can welcome you. Many may not see your first post here on this thread.
Love your name Impurrfect. My cat, Scarlet's been here this morning next to me
by the puter and she too is oh so curious as to knowing where those birdies are. LOL
Cats are so purrfectly LOL special.
Hugs
Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Frankie, I can't wait to get home and watch this (Shhhhh...i'm at work and sneaking in...The "internet police" have blocks on videos and things like that but they haven't found this yet, lol) I think what you do is awesome...I'd love to be working with you!

Now that I'm retired I have the time to pursue and do the things that make my heart sing.
This is something I am looking forward too. I am finding/making time to insert more wonder in my life, but when I don't have to work...oh the wonderful nonpaying but oh so inspiring things I can pursue!

Thanks so much for sharing your passion here. I love feeling your excitement in your post. Hugs
Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Greet, isn't it Dr. Phil that says I want you to get excited about your life?
Well, I've been getting excited about my life since before he got his own tv show
Recovery is a large part of what led me to where I am as well as other blessings I've had in my life, like my Buudhist monk friend who helped me practice and grow in compassion for all living beings.
Glad you are thinking about following your joy and passions.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This IS it...the ride of a lifetime. Enjoy the ride.
We have many volunteers who work full time and come in on weekends
and sometimes evenings as we are open til 8pm during the busy season.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That's a wonderful video and a terrific thing they/you are doing.

I live on a lake and have wild mallards come up to my deck and my door to fetch me and each morning and evening I throw bird food out on the lawn for them. I get to know some of them, and I would hate to see harm come to any one of them.

I'm slowing down to a stop on the feeding because I want them to fly south with the rest of their flock, but it's taught me a lot about nature and birds.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in the light

In the video, David mentions we do see sad things. It's true and most of the sad things have to do with humans taking the care of wildlife into their own uneducated hands.

After closing hours,we leave a message on the answering machine with instructions to people on what to do when they've found a wildlife species. We specifically ask they not feed the wild birds and animals they find as they require very specialized diets and other foods can harm them fatally. For reasons beyond my comprehension
some people go right ahead and feed them anyway. Grrrrrrrrrrr
In August a woman brought in three baby robins. She had called during closing hours the night before and listened to the message but went ahead and fed the birds anyway!!!!!!! She and her kids stuffed their mouths with bread and milk and forced
the food into them,overfed them. Their systems could not tolerate this. They had tried to vomit the food and the junk got into their lungs, compromising their breathing. We had no choice but to euthanize them, which is the merciful thing to do.
Please, please, if you ever come upon injured or orphaned animals, do not feed them.
Call your local wildlife rehab center asap or call your local animal shelter. Animal shelters have the phone numbers of wildlife rehabilitators and centers where professional care is administered.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Frankie,
So very very wonderful.
XOXOX
GL
Old 09-14-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Originally Posted by frankie_b View Post
Enough of that! Please friends before you get that cute live baby bunny or chick at Easter time, think twice! Living creatures are not toys. Thanks my friends.
oh how I agree, thats one of the reasons why we have zoo's
Old 09-14-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by frankie_b View Post

In April a woman brought in a mama wild mallard duck and eleven sweet one day old
fluffy ducklings. They had wandered far away from the lake and were in peril, trying to cross a busy street. I released the dear family on another lake adjacent to my home a few weeks later. As I gaze at the lake today, I see many mallards and smile
knowing the family we protected are likely among the flock. I enjoy their quacking. LOL
You need read this book...
Old 09-14-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Talking

Best, I have read that book. Used to read it to AS and daughter when they were kids. It's wonderful! Thanks for reminding me. Some quacking is music to my ears
Old 09-14-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I live just outside of Boston and have a picure of the duckling statues that are in the central park in Boston.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in the light

That's cool Best. AS was and still is an animal lover. I've sent him photos of the hawks and other raptors he likes. He sure doesn't get to see much of nature or wildlife in prison. That's something I can do and enjoy doing...send pics now and then. Works for me.

Last edited by frankie_b; 09-14-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by best View Post
I live just outside of Boston and have a picure of the duckling statues that are in the central park in Boston.
I'm not sure what it is, but Boston calls to me. I am not at all a city person, but I love Boston. The first time I was there, it stole my heart. I've never gotten it back. I somehow think one day Boston will be a part of me...
I love the swans and the park, and just walking around Boston... I have always loved Make Way for Ducks...Thank Best, for bringing me back to a precious moment...
Old 09-15-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I am trying to download and watch the video now.. I am on dial up so videos are bad news to download and watch. LOL

One year we were mowing hay and hit a female mallard on her nest (they do not MOVE off that nest as the eggs are hatching). One duckling survived.. had just hatched and still had the egg oopening hook on his beak.

I had no time to raise this creature so called my Dad (we had an incubator and raised pheasants, Ruffed grouse etc. when I was younger). My Mom raised the duckling and named him/her Francis. He learned to swim in their pond.

Had the duckling all summer.. she would run across the lawn and flap her arms and Francis would flap his wings. He eventually fledged and would fly a ways ahead of her. One day he flew and instead of flapping and landing ahead of her he circeld the house twice and was gone.. heading south. It was early October.

My Mom was heart broken. We must assume he found a neighboring pond with ducks but always wondered if he made it or not.. if inborn instinct was enough to get him into a group socially and if he ended up living a normal mallard duck's life.

You do wonderful work Frankie!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

frankie,

That was so cool! And thanks for sharing and for David sharing in the video that you should not feed the wildlife. People think they are helping by doing so but the contrary is true.

I hate it at Easter time when they sell those adorable little "chicks" that parents buy for their children! What are they thinking? The poor birds suffer the consequences.

Great stuff!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Living in the light

((( Marteen ))) It's great to see a post from you. I've missed you.
You are so right. People somehow think they're helping. As well, people like to be entertained and feeding wildlife is entertaining for THEM. There are many signs posted at a large central lake here DO NOT FEED THE WILDLIFE. I see people do it anyway.
It's the same with the selling and buying of cute fluffy live animals. It's strictly for entertainment, it's never about the animal's welfare.