Dealing with regret. What works for you?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Originally Posted by frankie_b View Post
Loves, I recall a friend I met in Alanon some years ago.
After a meeting he shared with me how grateful he was for all the troubles, pain and difficulties he experienced in life. At the time I wondered What? Hellooo?
I told him I sure wasn't. LOL I was honest. Well, I wanted what he had and one fine day,
I found myself grateful for all my life experience too. It didn't happen overnight.

It was a gentle, gradual awakening and acceptance through the grace and love of my HP.
I have times when I'm not so grateful for what life brings LOL. Progress, not perfection. Each day I have a choice to get into gratitude when I find myself sliding.
You are so right girlfriend. Why wallow in the past? Live for today, have a plan ( focus) for the future works for me.

I've done my fair share of wallowing in the past and I find that it does nothing for me but bring me down which in turn keeps me sitting still rather than moving forward. I don't want to be sad, angry and depressed all the time. I got to a point where I was no longer asking "Why me God?" eventually I went with the thought "Why not me?" I believe in my heart we are given paths to follow for a reason......weather it's to build something inside of us that's lacking or to show us we have something special inside of us.......maybe a courage we never would have known exsisted until we went through a process.

Like clay is molded into a beautiful piece of pottery so are we. It's a process that takes time and patience and is never without a few flaws. That's what makes it so unique and special.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is just what i needed to hear today. My AH who I am seperating from is in jail, I should say finally. So why do I feel so confused I geuss it'sa time I finally found a meeting nearby. But I also found as I was packing to move a zipper pouch with a spoon, needle and his weed pipe) he never admitted to heroin use to me before--crack,etc,etc..) I don't know why I feel like this I am so mad and I also want to go visit him just to see why he lied again..
Just when I thpught I was moving on sorry for rambling... Have a great week thanks..
Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Depends. Are we talking reget about my actions towards others? then I have to make an amend to the best of my ability (step 9) and then, forgive myself. If we are talking regrets that only effected me (Why did I drop out of college, etc) - yes, the past is gone and what can I do different today to make it better...