Being Wile E Coyote in Recovery

Old 09-01-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Being Wile E Coyote in Recovery

You know.. it seems I go along doing well in recovery. I really do. I bop along and keep moving forward.. feel pretty good about life in general.. some blips from meno (mental?)pause that cause emotional things that surprise even me....

And then I hit a wall. I wonder if, with all I have been thru, how in the he** I am even alive today.. why I am not locked in a psyche ward is beyond me. I just CRASH... or feel as if I am going to.

I know EXACTLY how Wile E Coyote felt when the Road Runner gets to the edge of a 3,000 foot vertical cliff and runs vertically down it... but not Mr. Coyote. Nope....

He is running as fast as Mr. Road Runner and is so focused on his goal that he never sees the cliff coming and runs right out into thin air.. and hangs there.. and the camera zooms in for a close up of his face and he is looking straight at you and he knows.. HE KNOWS.. he is about to drop off and CRASH.....

Well, somedays on recovery road I feel just like that.. Like I have run out into thin air and there is nothing down there but 3,000 feet of southwestern AIR.. and I KNOW I have the same look on my face that Mr. Coyote has...

So far I have NOT crashed, but I have these moments when I feel like it.. I have run into thin air... and I have Mr. Coyote's look all over me...

You ever get them days? You ever get to feeling like Mr. Coyote?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I love the way I can visualize everything you say.
It's funny too, how I wonder the same things. Why HP spared me and kept me alive. Probably so I could actually experience recovery.
I am so thankful for that!!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

I go through that A LOT!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the time Elana. And I love that analogy... it's perfect. The other day, in fact, when I was here upset about my sister's blog, was one of those very days. I felt like I was about to fall myself, I was even crying... but somehow, I'm still here today

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels like that sometimes.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

Elana,

That was too darn funny.
What great perception you have about Recovery Road.
It's exactly like that for so many of us, I think.
Thanks for giving those feelings of ours a great visual.

Hugs,
Linda
Old 09-01-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

OH I can soooo relate. I find myself there more often than I'd like to admit... there are times that I seem to snap out of a fog and look around, shaking my head and saying "HOW in the heck did I get here?????"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Wile e coyote.jpg (7.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-02-2007, 03:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Wile E. Coyote is my hero. So is Sponge Bob Square Pants. Because he HAS square pants and I know a LOT of guys I would love seeing square pants on.

Thanks for the images Cats and Book... To think kids want to play video games when the dialog-less Road Runner cartoons are around. I don't care about winning against the dragon beast master... I care about what the latests ACME invention is and how the Road Runner does not get caught in it, but Mr. Coyote does!

I always wanted to do that thing where Wile E. gets hit with an object and his head takes on the object's shape.. and he shakes his head and it goes back to normal shape.

Oh yeah.. I'm a Codie... Maybe I already do?!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what an incredibly awesome and accurate visual.....I can even feel my feet and legs spinning maniacally in the thin air - just prior to the 3 story plop!

What always gets me is the unexpected appearance of the cliff. Why do I keep thinking that I am running on level ground???????

Thanks for the great insight! Donna
Old 09-02-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

We are so focused on the target we forget there IS a cliff or even the POSSIBILITY of the cliff....

Seriously.. if you have a dog that loves to play ball.. I mean is truly maniacal about chasing a ball, you can throw the ball ANYWHERE and the dog will chase it... over a cliff, into traffic, into a POND.. and the dog will go. (BTW I don't recommend this test if you have a dog.. it is just in illustrative point).

I have seen a dog run into a fence looking over his shoulder at you as he anticipates you throwing the ball and starts his run b4 you throw (another reason why expectations can get us in trouble?).