OT I think I'm crazy today

Old 08-30-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT I think I'm crazy today

Hello all,
I think today I really went crazy!! I am out of work and the state will pay my college tution if I go back to school. Today I went and filled out the paperwork with the state and I am now going to start college on Tues.
I am going for my teaching degreee. I know I am crazy now!!! I want to work with the younger kids, the heck with middle school or high school they are to much trouble.
I have prayed about this for the past month and today I felt like this is what I need to do for me and for others.
So here I am 50 yo and going back to college. I am nervous yes, do I think I am crazy YES YES YES. But I feel like this is the right thing for me to do.
Can anyone let me know if you think I am crazy for doing this now at my age, or if you think this is the right thing for me?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Oh Pam...........I don't think you're crazy at all!! I think this is WONDERFUL!!!! You're an inspiration honey!! Go for it!! You'd make a great teacher. I'm so happy for you! Love you lots!!!!!
Hugs
Kris
Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Kris, I am so scared to do this. I guess that is normal or at least I hope it is.
You give me a lot of strength, so thank you
Hugs
Old 08-30-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pam, I think its great!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

yippee for you!!

I will retire from my state career job in about 8 yrs - I'll be 52 at the time. I would love to go to college but have look at the "practical" side of it.
Why spend all that money for a piece of paper? After working 30 + yrs - then I'm going to school for what? To get a degree to do what with it?

Then I read wonderful stories like yours & I think - why shouldn't I go to college if I want to, why should I get that degree if I want it? - College is not just about a job - it's about doing something I want to do

And I guess if you're crazy - you've just inspired me to think maybe I want to be a little crazy too!!

Best Wishes - sharpen your pencil - bring out your handy dandy notebook & have a blast!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Just wait till all those cute little kids are raising their hands "Miss Pam.....Miss Pam" and they make you stuff cuz you're their favorite teacher. I'm so excited for you.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's a wonderful thing to do. The best of luck.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all, I guess I needed someone to tell me I wasn't as crazy as I think I am.
If I help someone else to go crazy in the future I'm glad. Thanks for the encouragement. I know my family here would support me, or tell me if they thought I shouldn't do this.
You all made my night.
Thanks again,
Love you all
Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
krhea75

You go girl! My mom went back for her nursing degree when she was 51 and she worked as an RN for about 15 years. If she can do it, so can you. We always need good teachers who want to be there. I'm proud of you.
krhea
Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On a tear

Everyone should be so crazy.

Wishing nothing but the best... and sending prayers of gratitude that such a kind and loving person will be caring about and teaching our precious babies....

(((hugs)))
Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I think you confused the word crazy for brilliant! You have been given an opportunity. Take it.
I am 52 and I am trying to figure out how I can get back into college!!!
We live till the day we die. We might as well do what we want to do while we still live. Can't do it when we're dead, right?
You go for it!!! I am happy for you.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Originally Posted by pjbs55 View Post
or tell me if they thought I shouldn't do this.

Love you all

Oh yeah, as for the family, my mother told me it was a waste of my time to go to college! can you believe that? I went any way and never ever have I regretted it.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Smile

What a wonderful thing to do. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Wishing you well as you go for it.
A good firend completed her university degree at 65.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Congratulations! You are never too old! You have to move forward anyway, so why not do something along the way that brings you to a better place?

Way to go!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by BigSis View Post
Everyone should be so crazy.

Wishing nothing but the best... and sending prayers of gratitude that such a kind and loving person will be caring about and teaching our precious babies....

(((hugs)))

So well said...I agree 100% and I am really, really excited for you. if you change your mind, would you like to take my job and I will go back to school? I love learning! I always kinda felt like school is wasted on the young...we don't really appreciate the learning part of it til later! Congratulations, Pam!!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I sit here crying from all the encouragement and love you should me. I never realized how many people want to go back to school, I will take this chance and do the best I can do. I want to help the younger ones, and maybe teach them what addiction does to the family, if the subject comes up. I want to teach them to love everyone and not to judge each other if they are a little different since we all are.
Love you all
Old 08-31-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

OT I think I'm crazy today.....

meet ya there!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

We're only as old as we dress. lol

I am soooo happy for you!
I want to be a teacher, too, but thought I was too old. (43)
You are my inspiration.
I've done storytelling for young children and had 2 bookclubs for kids 7-12, for the past 4 years. I think I would make an excellent kindergarten teacher.
Can I get a Whoop! Whoop! too? lol
Congratulations, lady. Your gonna do great. I just know it.
Let me know everything you have to do to accomplish this and I may just follow in your footsteps.
You may just be the one person who can get me to make a dream of mine come true.
Besides hubby's money, that is. lol

Love ya,
Linda
Old 08-31-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I got my degree when I was 32. It took me 8 years to get it. I majored in psychology. I have never worked in my field, but I have never regretted going to college. It gave me so much confidence in myself and I love learning. That is why I love my job as an interpreter in an educational setting. Every year I learn something new and so I have this store of knowledge. My brain is always working and I think that keeps me young. I work with all age groups but prefer elementary because they still love their teachers. Good luck. It sound so exciting. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-31-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Way to GOOOOO!

Good for you!! Age doesn't matter as long as it is something that you want to do!! I am almost finished with my Associates Degree and will be taking some much needed time off before returning to school for my Bach in Teaching too!! If it makes you feel better..i a 42 years young and I also want to teach 2nd through 6 grade students. I don't ever think that you are too old to go back to school!!

Although..word to the wise..things are not what they were when we were in school!! A noun use to be a person, place or thing...and...just when we thought we knew it all...they added "idea" to the nouns!! I wrote to my governer telling him they can't change things like this..but..it did no good (only kidding..i didn't write to him).!!

Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you!!