All About Me

Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I'll say it again

What an awesome bunch we are !!!!! And we have so much to be grateful for.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
If I were stranded on a island, and could only bring one c.d, it would be any of Nina Simone's collection.
I wanted you to know that thanks to you I'm walking around singing this this morning:

My baby dont care for shows
My baby don't care for clothes
He cares for me

My baby don't care for cars and races
My baby don't care
He don't care for high-tone places

Liz Taylor is not his style
And even Liberace's smile
Is something he can't see
I wonder whats wroooonnnnng with baaaabeeeeeeee
My baby just cares for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYSbUOoq4Vg

Thanks, Mavis!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Like HappySoul, I am also a member of the SR Witness Protection Program, although I may be ready to "come out" soon. (no, I still like guys.. not THAT kind of coming out)

I am in my late 40's, and I'm single. I am the mom of 2 sons ages 22 and 24. I love to read, mostly fiction. I am a fast reader, so when I travel I take a book for each flight. I enjoy my dogs, although I'm envious of Elana and the others who are able to train them. I have enrolled us in an obedience school so we can learn...I enjoy working on my old house. It's the first place I've lived that has a personality, and the first house that my sons say feels like HOME.

I am fluent in spanish and I have traveled in Mexico and Central America, for work and for pleasure. I live in the midwest again, and I'm thrilled to be able to enjoy all 4 seasons to their fullest.

I've taught rock climbing and rappelling, I enjoy watching sports, and yet I can be a girly girl. (However, I don't wear full makeup while on an island in a lake in the middle of NOWHERE Canada. )

I am grateful every day for the As in my life who led me to Al Anon and a program of recovery. I'm blessed to be able to use my tools in every aspect of my life, and I'm honored to carry the message to others.

And if I were stranded on an island? Send me George Clooney. I'm sure we'd get along famously.

Cats
Old 08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi, I am 39, I have a 15 yr. old son, and 12yr. old daughter. I always say to my kids that they were gifts from heaven. They keep me strong and I am very proud of them. Thier father was my highschool sweetheart, we married bought a house had our family, than cocaine entered the picture and that was that. I have wonderful friends and family! My Mom died suddenly in 2001, my brother was missing and found drowned in 2005. Alot of loss for us. I love to play slowpitch, I play on 2 teams each spring and fall, and watch my kids play thier sports. We are very active and enjoy camping in the summer, going to Mexico for winter vacations. I have been at the same place of employment for 23 years! I love my job. I am a catering manager, I help people plan weddings, seminars, anniversary parties, meetings... I love to read fiction, watch movies, watch a good sit-com.
I am still very much in love with the man who brings me to this site, we have been together for 10 years, he is my best friend. Not ready to lose him yet. Thanks for letting me share too!!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am 35 yrs old and have a 14 yr old son. I love to read (something I haven't done in a long time). And Heather, I love grapes too. In fact I usually bring some to work with me every day. I love my family and because of everything that has happened with my husband, I have actually become closer to my mother and sister. I had drifted away the past few years. I love to watch my son play football and soccer and I am a huge Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan. My favorite place to vacation is Gatlinburg, I love the mountains. It would be so nice to live there one day in my own little cabin in the woods.

My greatest joy in life is my son, God bless him for having to go through what he has. I hope for him the greatest joys in life and I hope that one day he will be a rich soccer or football player so he can buy me that cabin...LOL!!!!

Sue
Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Okay, I finally have a minute to post. I've enjoyed reading all about you so much!!!!
I am 48 and am lucky enough to have a fantastic 15 yo son and 13 yo daughter. I work as a Special Ed Paraprofessional, and I'm going to school nights for Medical Tech and American Sign Language. We just moved in with my parents, so are adjusting to a new home and city.
Besides my family, I love animals. You probably figured out I'm a guinea pig lover! We guinea pig people are slightly mad but loads of fun ~ who could have guinea pigs and not be silly??? I have four misfit pigs right now, Petunia, Corkster, Pippin, and Minnie. I lost my oldest and first guinea pig, *****, in July at age six. That one still hurts.
I also have two dogs, Pepper and Jack, who were rescued from Puerto Rico, and a 17 year old cat named Lyle.
I also love horses and used to own one. I'm hoping to get back into the horse world by volunteering at my friend's therapy riding program now that I'm able to have a life again!
I love to draw and do crafts. Right now I'm working on a line of greeting cards ~ featuring guinea pigs ~ that I hope to get out there. I once illustrated a book about guinea pigs!
I am a rabid fan of the New England Patriots and Boston Red Sox. I took my son to Patriots training camp this summer ~ it was awesome!!!
I love to read anything, but have a guilty passion for true crime. My favorite authors of all time are Barbara Pym and James Herriot.
Love to walk the dogs and beach comb, and above all love to connect with my HP. He keeps me in line when He needs to, holds me up when I'm going down, plays jokes on me when I least suspect them, and keeps me safe and sane.

Hey Cats, I saw George Clooney in person once. Believe it or not, he's even more gorgeous in person. And nice to boot!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I’ve realized how much more I know about our respective addicts that I do each of us. Heather, thank you so much for doing this!

I am 50 years old. My passions are my two sons (and my furry son), work, and learning. I am a physical therapist at a Level I trauma center. My specialty is trauma and I do all of the PT/OT department’s orientation in that area. My patients are the major traumas that you read about in the newspaper. I’ve developed a sub-specialty in non-pharmaceutical methods of pain control and lecture in that fairly regularly. That came about from when my kids were young and having lots of issues and hospitalizations with asthma. I went and researched all the options for healing and ending up training in Guided Imagery, Craniosacral Therapy, myofascial release, therapeutic dialogue, and somatic recovery. I also became a Reiki master.

One of my loves is writing…I’ve journaled all of my life but have recently begun to write and submit for publication. I met a lifelong goal in May by becoming a published and PAID writer! More to come! I am currently working on a book regarding preparing for and recovering from surgery.

I have many spiritual interests – especially in the Buddhist tradition. I enjoy reading and learning about that. I tend to get obsession about a topic and exhaust the literature about a subject.

I have become addicted to Suduko……I can feel the “ommmm” chemicals release when I’m solving one! I love to go to the beach and listen to the waves and smell the sea air. I’ve been a regular exerciser through the years but have recently fallen off the wagon….my tailbone has begun to bother me over the last several month and that’s slowed me down. Finally went to the doctor yesterday and the xray showed it turned to a 90 degree angle ---looking forward to getting it fixed so I can get moving again.

When I graduated from college the first time I worked in the travel industry – travel is a passion but I don’t get to do it much anymore….I miss it! I went back for a 2nd degree in PT when I was 31……so that means I’ve been practicing for almost 19 years!

I love to laugh, eat ethnic food, and enjoy my family.