Good news

Old 08-29-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Thatswayworldgoesround

Wink Good news

Well, guys, our son got out of his 28-day program Monday. He came back to our home, got some things together, got a hair cut, talked to a couple of friends for a short bit, we ate steak.................to celebrate his beginning of recovery and to wish him well as he went to a halfway house on the coast Tuesday morning via Greyhound.

I will miss him more than words can express, although I won't miss having to hide money, my pocketbook, my medicine, etc.

Only the Good Lord knows what will happen, but I have been praying that I could step out of His way and let my son get on a path that will give him a future. The halfway house has a really good rep and a high recovery rate for several years after people have gone through.

I really like having my kids in my life, not under my feet, just able to come and go
and see them occasionally. I don't know if he will ever be in that situation, but I did promise God that even if I never saw him again, I would rather know he has a chance at a sober, clean, happy life.......................I wish him so much good, I am really missing him this week. It was good to see him, to see him clean and proud of himself, but also so tough to say good-bye once again.

J, I love you so much, I love you enough to let you go wherever you need to make a life for yourself that you will cherish............

Love,
Bets
Old 08-29-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((((bets))))) i wish him the best. i really hope this is his time & yours. prayers,
Old 08-29-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ahhh Bets, that's a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart and your hope. I'm so happy your son is on the right path for today. I suspect you will be having him in and out of your life (in a very good way) as he makes his way. I suspect that you will be hearing words spoken by him that you never would have thought possible...words that echo what you say about letting go and letting God.

J, I love you so much, I love you enough to let you go wherever you need to make a life for yourself that you will cherish............
This is unconditional love...thank you for sharing it. You are a beautiful person inside and out and a wonderful mom! I hope your own life is filled with the blessing that you so richly deserve. Hugs and prayers.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bets, I really hope this is his time. I can imagine how hard it must be to let go of him. I love you and I am keeping you in my thoughts!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know how proud you must be, and scared. I pray for his growth and peace for you.
prayers,
susan
Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bets,
Thank you for such a wonderful post. You are a really wonderful person, it is hard to let a child go but your recovery is showing as much as his.
You are giving your son what he needs at this time, and that is the power to work on his recovery.
Hugs to you,
Old 08-29-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Bets,

What a great post. Thanks for sharing this part of your journey. You've given your son a tremendous gift - your support and your love, and your willingness to step back and let him make his own choices and experience his own consequences.

You get the tiara for the day. You're the queen.

Hugs

Cats
Old 08-29-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How wonderful....

This was a wonderful post and one that I would love to be able to post one day! Your post makes me beleive that it can happen...it just has to be the right time! I am so happy for you and your family!!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post, I love to hear positive stories. I think the recovery home is the absolute best choice for an addict in recovery. I pray this is his time. Good luck
Old 08-29-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh Bets, I love your post and the words that you said to your son. Sending mega prayers that he continues on a good path. And I don't think you have to worry, he will be in your life. Hugs and thanks, Marle
Old 08-29-2007, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You are in my prayers
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a beautiful post!

I understand just how you feel....my son is also away (15 months) and I miss him so much....I always thought my sons would be a part of my life....holidays and special ocassions are bittersweet because I feel his absence keenly....

but I quickly remember that I could have lost him forever and I've learned to accept our present situation (not only accept but celebrate) and know that altho it's not the path I would have picked it is the path we are on and all things considered we are fortunate...

focus on the positive and remember to count your blessings (whatever they may be...)
Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thatswayworldgoesround

I just want to thank all of you for your responses and for your positive support. Our son has called both nights since he left, I think he is feeling very alone and confused.

I hope this place is supportive. He sounds as though he doesn't have a clue on how to begin there. I know this kid pretty well, and I have a feeling he isn't asking many questions to let people know he needs help with direction, how to get a job, how to get somewhere with no car. Maybe he's getting more than I suspect, but I know he is without any money except for about $50 I left him with to begin on.

But I know that many others have started out clean on much less. At least he went in with clothes on his back and a family who supports him in his efforts.

For whatever reason, this has not been an easy week.

Take care, and my prayers are with all of you in your
own situations,

Love,
Bets
Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

One of our new members asked if anything ever gets better. I pointed them to this post.
It's always GOOD NEWS when an addict starts to see the light and begins their path of recovery!
I am happy for you.