Old Timer's Prayer

Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Old Timer's Prayer

Found this in my archives and thought it was worth sharing tonight

OLD-TIMERS PRAYER

God, keep me from thinking I must share in every meeting, no matter the topic. Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details and give me wings to get to the point. Remind me to guard confidences and to keep still when I feel it is necessary to speak up “for someone’s own good.”

Release me from the need to straighten out everybody else’s thinking and program. God, I ask for the grace to listen to newcomers. Please help me to remember the patience with which others listened to me when I was new.

Please seal my lips to giving advice, and help me to remember to share only my experience, strength, and hope.

Remind me that my purpose is to fit myself to be of maximum service to You and to the people around me. Help me to remain teachable. Teach me (again) the lesson that, occasionally, it is possible that I may be wrong; and remind me, please, of the freedom that I gain when I am able to promptly admit I’m wrong and make amends where necessary.

Help me to remember the difference between making amends and just saying, “I’m sorry.” Help me to be a worker among workers, a friend among friends. Please keep me from being a bleeding deacon, and help me to walk the path towards being an elder statesman/stateswoman. Keep me ever mindful that I cannot manage my own life through my own unaided will. I know that I am not a saint; please show me the way to seek You so that I may continue to grow along spiritual lines.

Remind me, please, of “Rule 62”-to not take myself so damn seriously. (It is so easy to take myself way too seriously.) Keep me free of gossip, character assassination, and judgment. Remind me that-because I am not perfect-although I have humbly asked my character defects and shortcomings still arise unexpectedly, to cause damage to others and to myself.

Help me to walk with faith and acceptance, to see good things in unexpected places and talents in unexpected people, and give me the grace to tell them so.

Help me to see that You love each of Your children, and that You do not need my opinion of them or suggestions on what they might deserve.

Thank You very much. Amen.

“May today there be peace within, may you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be…”

St. Theresa prayer.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post

Please seal my lips to giving advice, and help me to remember to share only my experience, strength, and hope.
What a great prayer and an important part that I need remember to remind myself of often is in quotes.

I still get told... two eyes, two ears...one mouth.
God made us that way for a reason. Look twice. Listen twice...speak once.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Amen to Cat's prayer and amen to Best's reminder. Amen, Amen and Amen
Old 08-21-2007, 02:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you CatsPyjamas..I ssooo needed to hear this tonight...
Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On a tear

I will print this out and carry it in my Courage to Change.

Thank you, Cat.