ah is doing heroin .

Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

ah is doing heroin .

Hi all . I usually post on the F & F of Alcoholics .. My husband is an alcoholic and when he went into rehab for the first time in May 06 he was also doing drugs . crack , coke , and tried heroin . Hes been in & out of rehab about 8 or 9 times since for alcohol abuse . As far as I knew he never relapsed with drugs , only with alcohol . Until now that is .

He is getting out of his last rehab tmrw and told me before he went in that he was doing heroin again . I dont know much about this drug except that it is highly addictive . We have been seperated since Apr and theres a restraining order preventing him from talking to me or seeing our kids except for supervised visitation once a week . ( he has seen them once in the past 6 wks ) . He hasnt worked since March (Id love to know where he gets the money for drugs , arent they very expensive?) so he has given me no money to support myself or our 4 kids .

I guess Im just venting , I dont even know what questions to ask . I have no intentions of reconciling or even having contact with him unless it has to do with our children but I do feel like I need to educate myself as much as possible . Our kids are 11 , 9 , 7 and 1 . Im trying to find ways that I can keep them from feeling the need to use drugs or drink when they get older . I know there is no guarantee as there are many parents on this site with broken hearts because their sons/daughters are addicts and I would never imply that they could have prevented it somehow . But maybe they can help me and others in my situation to see some early signs . Hind sight is 20/20 while trying to predict the future is very blurry .

Thanks all and Peace

(())S
Old 08-20-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

*hugs*

I wish I could give you some comfort here... I know how bad heroin is, that was my sister's doc. As far as the way he pays for it, more than likely he's stealing or pawning stolen items, or he's running drugs for a dealer and taking his pay in product.

early signs:

-being consistently late for any and all appointments, including dinner, work, school, whatever, and having **** poor excuses

-poor hygeine for days at a time

-wearing long sleeves in times where he or she normally would not

-sounding "tired" or "stoned"

-nodding off while sitting down for a normal conversation (not like a normal "I'm tired" kinda nodd off... they will literally be sitting there, like nothing is wrong, and all of a sudden their eyes will close and the head will go down... it's really strange looking)

at least these are the signs I've seen in my sister.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

thank you Lady .. Thats a good list !
I have seen all those signs in my husband . He wouldnt shower for days and he would stink ! He feel asleep once while I was cutting his hair , he was standing up !
that was over a year ago and I thought he was done with the drugs since then but I was wrong . He actually told me on Thursday that he was doing heroin again but it was going to be easy to quit because the drug disgusted him .

What ?? It cant disgust you too much if your doing it !!

So sorry for your sister . You said it 'was' her doc , Im hoping that means shes in recovery now . My prayers are with you & your family !
Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks LG She is in recovery. I keep forgetting that, to people who don't know my situation, anything past tense could mean something really bad too lol. She has been doing remarkably well, to the best of my knowledge. She lives an hour ana a half away from me, with my codependant parents, so it's hard to be certain, but things are definitely looking up. She's been out of rehab for a little over a month now, and she's found a job, going to meetings, and she even plans to go back to school next month. So, for the moment anyway, I am blessed to be in a position to enjoy rebuilding our friendship.

Thanks so much for the prayers. They always mean so much to me. Please know that I am praying for you and your kids as well tonight.

*hugs*
Old 08-20-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi LG,
My son was involved in heroin a while back...thats what brought me here.

I'd have to say that the one thing I would do differently, if I could go back, would be to move aside when my kids had troubles, knowing that allowing them to work through would have allowed them to learn, and be proud of themselves.

I spent most of their childhood making things good for them...not big events, I think I did hold them accountable, but the little stuff that would have given them the confidence to know they could overcome. And when addiction hit, I would have known my son could take responsibility.

It may not have stopped anything from developing, but it may have arrested it sooner...I just couldn't seem to get out of the way.

I have a two year old grandbaby that I feel the same about as you mentioned. I pray that she doesn't ever "go there" every night. You could say I pray my fool head off over that one. And I pray that I WON'T be the meddling Mema because I fear I might...yep, I'm wrapped that tight already

I figure by the time she reaches a vulnerable age I'll have a lot of "credit" built with my HP
((((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 08-20-2007, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

honey, i am the mom of an addict son.there is no way you can prevent your child from using any drug,alcohol included. i would have never believed my baby son would grow up to be an addict & a convict. i did not CAUSE it, i can not CONTROL it & I can not CURE it. read everything you can on drugs. their are a million different kinds out there. i wish every parent would. i was so innocent whern my son started using.i had no clue.you are a good mom for wanting to protect them.saying a prayer you & yours, hope
Old 08-21-2007, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

Hi,

My AH is also a heroin addict. He's in rehab for the third time, 90 days clean. We have a three year old son.

My husband supported his habit thru doing side jobs at his work, stealing money from our son's piggy bank, pawning his stuff and finally stealing my credit card and fraudulantly running up $1500 (in one week) in cash advances. I'm sorry your AH is trying to tell you it will be easy to get off of, it won't. Heroin also creates a physical dependency where withdrawals happen quickly depending on how much the person is using. My AH has gotten to the point of getting high every few hours because after like two hours, he would be getting sick. Heroin withdrawals are like a bad flu and take anywhere from 3-7 days to get over the worst of it. However, lots of addicts will use withdrawals as an excuse to not stop using. My AH had to use just to maintain, he wasn't even buzzed anymore it just made him feel normal.

I also worry about my son in the future but as the child of an addict/alkie myself, I know how I am going to handle it. My parents were very open with me about my dad's struggle with addiction and what happened to him. I knew from an early age it could happen to me too and that pretty much kept me on the straight and narrow. It doesn't always work that way but to me substances always seemed like a yucky thing rather than an exciting thing. I plan to tell my son exactly what his dad has gone thru and us too. Right now he knows his dad is "sick" and has to live in a "different house" to start getting better.

Sending you hugs and strength!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

prayers, k