breakthrough for my AS

Old 08-18-2007, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
krhea75

breakthrough for my AS

Well, my AS has finally seen the wisdom of going to a recovery house after his stay at rehab. He will take the GED in the next 3 weeks, and then go to a recovery house for 3-4 months. Then we'll see where we are. I went to see him yesterday and we spent his pass in Bloomington. It was a much better time than last week-end. He really has turned around in his views. His counselor has done so much to help him understand. He finally realizes that he will go to jail if he doesn't comply. It took him a long time. And he is sad that he won't be graduating with his class. But I've decided to make the best of it. He will be alive. He won't harm anyone with his abuse (stealing my car and driving while high). He will mature being on his own. He will be away from the user friends. I know that he will eventually come home, but hopefully by then he will be stronger. Thank you all for your support and wisdom after last week-end. It really does help to have you people to bounce ideas off. A couple of things could have hastened his turnabout. First, they found a confusing drug test after his last visit home. He insists he didn't use and they are retesting to make sure, but his counselor thinks that may have made him more cooperative. Also, the judge in his case is married to my best friend. He sent a message through me to my AS that unless he finishes successfully, it will be jail. Those two things have made a difference.
krhea
Old 08-18-2007, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like he's making a good decision and it's nice that you had a pleasant visit this time. Those can be such spirit boosters. Best of luck to both of you...hope things continue to go well!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay!!!

I'm so happy that he's coming to his senses. Give him a pat on the back for me, and let him know that there is life after high school. I have a GED, and I still got my bachelor's, will be starting my master's in the next 6 months or so, and have the career I wanted as a teacher. If I can do it, so can he. And what a bit of luck to go into this knowing the judge... the legal system can be so useless if you don't get someone in there who cares to make sure it goes the way it should.

Sounds like time for some much deserved R&R for everyone

*hugs*
Old 08-19-2007, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Krhea, It is amazing how fast they can turn around when the possibility of jail becomes a reality. Sending prayers that your son will continue in his recovery and that he will acquire the skills needed to live "life on life's terms". Now take a deep breath and put the focus back on you and find something nice to do for yourself. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-19-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i hope this is his time. you have been through so much.sending prayers for both of you & hugs to you.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad he is seeing the benefits. I really think every day clean helps the fog to lift and helps to discover the benefits of being sober. Glad you had a good visit too.

I try not to dwell on what could have been, for I've found that is just my expectations...and you know what happens with them. It's better to look with hope to what my HP has planned for me if I just open up and let him.

Hugs and prayers...now celebrate by doing something special for you!!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

this is great news, krhea. i am glad he is making good choices today. blessings, k
Old 08-19-2007, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

krhea,
Well, that is some uplifting news. That sure makes life a little easier for you.
Blessings on both of you.

Lo
Old 08-19-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Sometimes a little self esteem can go a really long way.
Once they have something to look forward to that improves their life, then it can be all up hill from there. Getting a GED is a first step.
I hope things do work out for him. Time will tell for sure.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
krhea75

Thank you all. I talked to him tonight and he sounded upbeat and ready to go. He starts GED classes tomorrow morning. I think he will be a bit busier at rehab and that will help. I told him I was still going to get his senior picture! I'll just call it his GED pic or his Done with HS pic, or Thank God my kid is still alive pic! lol! For now, we can rest. Just for today.
krhea
Old 08-20-2007, 02:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I know the relief when they finally start making some good decisions, and your son sounds like he is heading for a good path.

It's amazing, when their options start running out, when it becomes "jail or rehab", that's the time that they turn around and make better choices.

Good for you for not making more options for him. He will be in my prayers and I have a feeling that God's already got him covered.

Hugs