OT Dog Gone it...

Old 08-19-2007, 02:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I thought abut the skillet too...
and Lady.. I have these cats.. had them when I was marriend, had them when I got divorced, had them when I lived alone, had them at the Crack house (another story and NO I do not use crack!), had them here when Steve moved in, had them here when Steve moved out and I STILL HAVE MY CATS! I know how you feel!

and I was not awakened last night at 1:00AM so maybe the issue is 100% straight food intolerance which is cheap and easy to fix......

BTW anyone need some really top of the line completely domestic made premium, granular dog food? I have about 65 pounds of it....
Old 08-19-2007, 04:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

65 pounds of granular food would last my 3 doggies 1 years or longer. A 5 pound bag lasts about 2 months, of coarse, I mix dry with moist, so it really goes a long way.

Elana, I do have a question for you. I have a cat too, she has not been declawed, and just refuses to use her scratching post, she likes the couch, and has done a bang up job on it. I have not had her declawed as she sneaks out, and disappears for a night or two, then comes strolling back in. I want her to stay in or out, she won't do either. Yesterday morning she snuck out, last night a storm was a brewing here, lots of thunder and she ran in when I was letting the boys out.

Is there anyway to break her of this? I wouldn't mind so much, but, she brings fleas in with her. I treat her with Advanatage, but, she still gets them, she jumps over the fence and runs around the neighborhood, picking up riders as she roams. I bomb the house, I spray the yard, it's a cycle, as long as she goes over the fence I can't keep the fleas away.

Anyway, any tips on how to keep her in the house? Or am I just wasting my time.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I have 4 declawed cats and Oliver is slated for this in another week.. However, I may cancel the declawing as he is quite good.. tho with the other cats with no claws we do have a dilemma.

The REASON the other cats are declawed is that they had a real taste for the wood work when I was married. My husband told me I had to either get rid of the cats OR declaw. I found both choice unpalatable but got the cats declawed. They don't seem to miss 'em tho the operation is rather brutal.

Declaw and No Declaw can really get people going so I am not in that debate.

Keeping a cat IN usually means setting up a baffle so they can't get OUT the door when you open the door. IOW if you have storm doors or a place where there is an enclosed porch to go in before going out the second door to the REAL outside, that can help (allows you to catch 'em before they get out the door!).

Once a cat has gotten a taste of being out side and roaming it is real hard to change their minds on it and they will always sneak out if they can... and they are (as you know) way smart about this.

Oliver LOVES to go out but I only take him out on a leash. He is at the age of learning to go out and roam if I were to let him, so I don't. He can roam when I get to the garden (it is fenced and is cat proof) and when I leave it is back on the leash and we walk back to the house. He is learning that he cannot go out unless there is a collar and a leash on so he is not bringing me his collar (and leash if it is attached) to put on him to go out. They learn quick.

So, getting a cat who has learned to roam to want to be indoors only is probably going to always be a matter of you managing to intervene everytime the door opens. You might want to try to show her a leash.. you put a collar on her and when she is used to that attacha leash and let her drag it around. Then, every time you go to go out, attach the leash so she cannot go zooming out the door (it isn't the zoom that has you, its the need to have a stop on it which the leash can provide).

There are pheremones and cat nip that you can get that will attract a cat to a scratching post. Some cats prefer to scrtch while laying down and others while sitting.. so you need the scratching thing to accomodate the preferred scratching position.

I will look around and see if I find anything that looks promising (pheremone attractant and repellant).. but it is very hard to change a cat's mind once they have it made up!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Thanks, she was born on the street, I adopted her from the Humane Society, so, I think her ways were set long before I adopted her.

I have had two collars on her, the breakaway ones, she has lost both when she has been out on one of her toots.

The thing is, I have a doggie door for the boys, can't use it because she will go through it. They are prisoners because of her...I don't like that.

I thought she had learned her lesson, as one of the neighborhood bully cats attacked her, she ran in the doggie door(I left it open so she could come back in) and so did the other cat, they were fighting in the living room, it was 5 am, I ran to the LR, my 17 year old dog, jumped on the back of the other cat, and started fighting with the cat. I had a 2 x 4, I wacked the bully over the head, and tossed him outside, he was ok, just stunned. She was injured, I took her to the vet, she recovered fine.

In some ways she reminds me of my ex, he would disappear into the night, be gone for a couple of days, and then return, hungry, broke and stinky, and he never learned his lesson either.

I should have named her Mini Me, after the ex.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

our animals are our family & most of them treat us better than our family. i hope your dog will be ok & it is not as serious as you think. hugs,
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Elana,

Our guys eat Wysong, slightly pricey but since we don't have kids it's our only big food expense...never any digestive upset. We did battle with giardia for nearly a year when we had the same issues as Anka. It didn't turn up on the test until the third time around, but they've been 100% healthy ever since. We tried regular-food stuff with them but their bodies found it too rich. Now we do dry mixed with a little bit of vegetable (carrots and greens, if we're eating them) and some leftover meats when available. Cheaper than straight kibble and better for them.

Good luck with this -- I'm glad you got a good night's sleep finally!!

GL and her critter crew
Old 08-19-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I was feeding Abady Dog food.. it is really good stuff and dogs who eat it die of old age dog diseases not kidney failure. It is way pricey.. 35 pounds is $100... so I have $200 of dog food I cannot use.

Today she was fine. We went to the Sheep Dog Trials and she could not keep her eyse off the sheep. She caught on real quick that they come out at the top of the hill 1,000 yoards away and the dog goes out and brings them down and takes the sheep through a series of obstacles. When they missed the pen Atka Would stand up and want to go "help" the dog.. (of course that would REALLY screw things up!). She got to watch.

I am going to start working her on this. She is very interested in the sheep and she may work quite well, tho the Border Collie is still king for this work.

The fact taht she felt better today and is doing better is such a relief to me. I do not think she has Giardia. I think she is simply intolerant of some ingredient in the pricey dog food that is left out of the Premium Kibble.

So, right now she is eating part my home made dog food and part kibble. My home made dog food is good enough for ME to eat!

In a week she will be switched to all kibble and I will add to this similar to what you are doing GL.

Again. thanks for your responses and caring. I have been so concerned. The idea of putting down a dog like this is just gut wrenching.

I mean she sat and watched those sheep today and behaved so wel.. she sat still or laid down.. and people were all around and dogs and she didn't aggravate everyone who walked past or try to jump on them or any of that. She sat there and WAITED for them to come to her.

She does her commands well.. and she stays very focused on me. For 8 months old she is doing fabulously.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I sure feel for ya, so I'm sending hugs from me and hugs and kisses from ceara (15yr old pit) duece (2yr old husky) tug (1 1/2 yr old american husky) and of course my sylvia (2yr old white with blue eyes cat)
Old 08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am smiling as I read this thread... Yup, count me in too as a pet lover, specifically my 3 year old rott/lab mix. We got her during our "empty nest" period when my 2 youngest kids (AKA AD and AS) left home to "make it on their own".... Yeah, well we know just how well that went over.... Sometimes I think that I am trying to "raise" my dog better than I raised my kids... couldn't do worse... hahaha

My kids are constantly telling me that I love my dog more than I love them... hmm.... I didn't think it was that obvious.
I love this dog, I tolerate my children......

Colleen
Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Love my cats and my dog.

Little tolerance for most single, available men my age.. Most are "damaged goods" with so many red flags attached they look like an attention getter outside a Used Car dealership.....

Cats and Dog are way better!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love my dogs. I recently got the dog back that I watched for a guy last fall. he wouldn't let me keep him even hough he wasn't taking care of him. So I adopted from doberman rescue a fawn dobie named Mojo. Last week the dude tells me he is splitting up with girlfriend and is taking his dobie to the humane society if I don't want him. So now I have 2.