Boundaries

Old 08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boundaries

I have read alot about drawing boundaries and writing down rules for yourself to follow --

I think that's a very productive idea.

My abf is 35 days or so into his recovery. He is very supportive of me working a program. I've been thinking about sharing my list of boundaries with him. Perhaps he can even point out additional ways that I can work on worrying about myself first and foremost. He shares alot of the elements of his "treatment plan" and often asks for my thoughts as I have another viewpoint. Would it help to hear his thoughts? Or is this something best kept to myself?

I don't see the harm in having a conversation about it as long as I stick to my guns. He usually encourages me to do so anyway.

...but i don't see the harm in alot of things that those much wiser than myself are able to point out....
Old 08-14-2007, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Under the circumstances you describe, I see nothing wrong with sharing your boundaries. You seem to recognize that they are about you and what you will or will not accept in your life, and not rules for him to follow. That's a huge step.

With a good attitude and communication that you two seem to have, I think you'll be able to share your recoveries in a healthy way.

Hugs
Old 08-14-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I like what Ann said. If you have open communication, then help each other!
Good luck with this.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i think it is great that you two can work together on this. just remember his recovery is his recovery,yours is your.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've always believed in communication too. Its healthy, and if it begins to feel otherwise, you can keep some things to yourself.
With my son I always felt that I should "share" my boundaries, especially if it was changing the rules so to speak.
I felt uncomfortable with the possibility that had he known, he may have decided differently.
Whether guilt was valid or not, I took a few steps to avoid it.
Good luck...it sounds like you both are on a healthy path
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 08-15-2007, 03:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

It is great that he is supporting you.

I think writing out your bounderies is a good idea, no room for mis-communication.

I wish you both the best!
Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi -

we haven't met but I wanted to add my belated welcome. Life with a recovering addict is quite a journey. It was awhile before I realized that I was talking about myself........my addictions run just as strong as RAH's - if not stronger. That is why I know that I, too, must work a program. Not because of him, because of me. Unless I stay spritually fit then I will always return to unhealthy ways emotionally.

I share my boundaries with RAH BUT only after I have clearly defined them for myself and run them through my sponsor. He and I are both pretty blind to the wiley, crafty, and majician type ways of our addictions. When they get togeher w/o outside input we get led quite astray. I could share a long list of ways that what we came up with together made a mess! In early recovery we both had to live and learn what did and what didn't work. One of the best things that I've learned to do is to stay out of his program and he stay out of mine. We still share a lot with one another but the nuts and bolts are mine (and my sponsor's) alone. I always have done better decerning my boundaries with someone that doesn't have a "dog in the fight". I also don't make a boundary w/o having a consequence that I am ready to make good on. My RAH and I do have a written contract that we have updated over the last 2 years and it absolutely helps to have it in writing - and to review it frequently.

Early on, a drug counselor told the two of us that the only way that our relationship MIGHT make it was if we both worked a strong recovery program. Also, she said that for the first year of recovery that it would be a very bad idea to work on the relationship - all efforts needed to be focused on our individual recoveries. Then - after a year we could work on our couple issues. That turned out to be great advice. I gave myself that first year and it was awesome! We were living together and figured out a way to do what we needed to do but just didn't get deep into any of our "stuff".

One of the best things that I did was find this forum - it's helped me so much and has taken the place of my sponsor when I couldn't get in touch with her. It's not a substitute but it's a great adjunct.

BTW - RAH just came into the room and asked what I was typing about....when I told him about the concept about helping each other with boundaries he became VERY excited over the thought of helping me with my boundaries......for us, that would be a most wretched idea....his addict wants me right where he wants me....he never will ever be able to think of anyone else first. And that is 2 years into recovery!

Looking forward to getting to know you better. Always - take what you want and leave the rest. This is nothing at all but my own experience and every relationship is different!

Love, Donna