okay, so now i'm homeless!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

okay, so now i'm homeless!

so, i've been living with my parents till my fiance got clean and we could sort things out, but my step dad had a freak out today and kicked everybody out. i won't go into the specifics, but my family is crazy! anyway. i have no where to go, no money, my truck needs new tires, and i'm out of options. then i called my fiance (i'm going to refer to him as "M" from now on) and asked if he would give me some money so i could find a place to stay tonight. he said he didn't have any, but told me that i was welcome to come and stay with him. i didn't go because i'm not leaving my pregnant sister in the house with my stepdad... as he almost hit her today and it almost got really ugly.
anyway, the point of my blog was... i have no idea what to do. M says i can come and live with him again and we'll work things out together, but i know that everything will just go back to the way it was before. and i definitely don't want that. i will not have a dime to my name for the next two weeks and i have to be out of this house by tomorrow. i don't know how i'm going to swing that because i have to work.
my whole freakin life is falling apart and i'm desperately trying to pick up the pieces. only i end up dropping them again and breaking them into hundreds of even smaller pieces. my heart is broken. i'm in so much pain. every time i think i've hit rock bottom, the bottom falls out and i'm free falling again. i just want to be happy. is that too much to ask? i think i'm having an anxiety attack! or some sort of break down.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh Cass.... I am so sorry these things are happening to you. Are there any shelters that you can go to? They are very accommodating, especially with people who are leaving a place that has some domestic violence.... if your stepdad almost hit your sister then that certainly means DV.

Hopefully you'll be able to look back at this time of your life and you'll be able to see how strong and smart you were in the decisions and choices you made. Perhaps you could go to M's for just the next week or 2 until you find some other place that works for you.

Just take a few deep breaths, know that we're here for you, and that you matter.

Hugs
Cats
Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

we're in the middle of nowhere... there are no shelters that i know of.
i'd go to M's but he doesn't get along with my sister and i'm not leaving her stranded. she's pregnant and she's so stressed there's a possibility that she'll have a miscarriage... verything is just getting worse and worse
Old 08-12-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

*hugs*

Do you have any other friends you could call? And yes, you are in a small town, but how far away from I-85 are you? I'm sure there's something relatively close by... in fact, I just googled Homeless Shelter in Lagrange, GA, and I pulled up this site that has a list of places to call:

http://www.artistshelpingchildren.or...s.html#georgia

There's even a listing in Lagrange on there, as well as one in Newnan, and a few in Columbus... And like Cats said, surely these places will be eager to help you guys, especially with your sister being pregnant.

Shoot, I'd let you come stay with me, but hubby and I are currently in a hotel room too.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

here's another one; some of the listings are the same, but I don't know if maybe there are others on here too:

http://www.koolmission.com/Georgia_k..._ministry2.htm

and this is the state of GA's website for DCA (dept of consumer affairs, ie housing authority):

http://www.dca.state.ga.us/housing/S...eeds/index.asp
Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((cassmeister))))

Gee girl there just has to be a solution. I admire you for not going to your b/f's though. What about the babies father? Is he in the picture at all?

A shelter can help you get yourself together. There probably are several programs that could help your sister too.

I have a very crazy family too lots of addiction problems and the crazy crap that goes a long with it. I have faith in you. I know you are strong. Let this incident make you stronger and help you find your way. I know you can do it.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

no, the baby's father is not in the picture. i'm trying to help myself and my sister and my drug addicted jerk of a fiance. i barely have the strength to breathe. i don't understand why my parents would just throw us all out that way. they have three empty bedrooms and four homeless children... it makes no sense. i always thought of my mom as this amazing person who would never do anything to hurt anyone.. but suddenly her and my stepdad don't want to share the house with us anymore... it's crazy... it makes no sense!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cass, is your mom safe with your dad around if all you kids leave?

Maybe you could reach out to a co-worker until you find another situation?

Sorry this is happening, hugs, Lisa
Old 08-12-2007, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

*hugs*

Girl, you are so strong. I know you can get through this. Hopefully something in that info I sent will be helpful... you can do this! There are women younger than us who are forced into a similar situation to yours everyday who manage to make it... and you will to. I was so shocked when I read your post, I can only imagine how you must feel... but everything happens for a reason, and you will come out ahead somehow.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
cunning. baffling. powerful.

I ended up in a homeless shelter for about 5 weeks this summer after I discovered my folks weren't in recovery anymore (after I'd moved in and started a medical school externship.)

As the externship was 8 weeks long, and I was only at my parents' for a little over a week - I needed to use the shelter to keep the externship. (I was paid a minimal stipend - not enough to live on.) I'm sure I looked a little odd cruising out of there at 6:30am with my lab coat and stethoscope while everyone else was just waking up preparing for a day of being unemployed... But, it was there for me when I needed it and it wasn't so bad.

I met a lot of interesting people - both those who ran the place and those who stayed there. If you've got a bad situation at home and it's no longer safe - don't overlook this option.

~SK
Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

maybe if all else fails you can get in touch with social services.i am sure they will help you if you explain the situation to them.how old are the other children? can you all combine & find a place to stay? i am saying prayers for all of you.keep posting.hugs,
Old 08-13-2007, 04:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((cass))

excelent advice above. Sometimes, when the peices keep breaking into smaller peices, and we keep trying to put them togeather, nothing goes right. Everything we do seems to just get worse. Sometimes, in desperation, we have to give it all up to HP. Imagine yourself bending over and gathering up all those little peices and just handing them over to your HP, give them up, trust and have faith that once you give up the outcome, that what is meant to happen, will. I used to try to save the world, and my family, turns out I wasn't qualified for the job and I was stepping all over my HP's toes, preventing him from doing the job.

Even if the shelters are a distance away, get to one, get your sister to one. They can help you get re-established, and on your feet. Especially for your sister. She has a little person on it's way into this world, she needs to provide a good clean safe home for this person. "She" does, not you. If you do it for her, how will she ever do it for herself and her baby? I'm not saying to abandon her, be there for her emotionally and help when you can, don't take this on your shoulders alone.

All said with love and concern.
B
Old 08-13-2007, 05:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cass,
I am so sorry,, honey. I know it seems as if the whole world is falling apart. All I know to do when I feel I have NOONE is cry out to my HP. There is no doubt in my mind that it is during these times of utter desperation and emptiness and He is with me the most, revealing Himself, and I truly believe that He NEVER leaves me (or you) or foresakes me (or you). And I know it may not be a comforting thought right this minute.....but as I look back on my weakest and darkest moments, those are the times that I became the strongest, learned the most, and found out what I am really made of.

Just think about this one night at a time....just for tonight...where can you and your sister stay and feel safe? I know you do not want to "imposition" anyone, but even a friend or caring co-worker, look into the shelters mentioned above...or maybe with your sister being pregnant there could be a women's home for mother's and children. One night at a time. That is all you have to do for this day. Praying for you....from the bottom of my heart!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
krhea75

Cass,
Sorry for the chaos. I do understand how it feels when things seem to be getting worse. There's got to be a friend or something. Stepfather sounds dangerous. Good luck, i'll pray for you.
krhea
Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
On a tear

In my state there is something called Safeplace for abused women. If your stepdad was being threatening and abusive, please give your local women's shelter a call- soon!

Think of what they tell us on the airplane... put the oxygen mask over YOUR face first, then try to help others.

Same thing applies here... get yourself safe, THEN you can better help your sis.

Please post again (libraries have internet access) and let us know how you are doing).

((hugs))
Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Social services might be the answer, especially if you take your sister with you. Tell them your situation and they might even help you find a place to live.
I am sorry you have to go through this
Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Survivor

I am feeling your desperation and I don't want to say anything that would add to that.......I don't know your parents situation, but as the parent of adult children, I can also feel for the parents.....you are adults, you have made your choices and just like we say to the addicts.....we should not enable....it does not matter how many bedrooms they have, maybe they are just tired of the chaos of adult children's problems and want some peace.....

I am sorry if this sounds mean, but sometime we parents have to cut the apron strings and yes it hurts......
Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The first thing to do is breathe and quell the anxiety attack... You will not be able to think straight if you are operating from a spot of panic. Also - as horrible as this sounds - it is not your job to protect your sister. If she was old enough to get pregnant - she is old enough to help be part of the solution. If she wants out of the house because she fears for her safety - then she should be out there pounding the pavement to find her a place to live and maybe helping you out. You do not have to be everyone's saviour.....

All of the suggestions above are fabulous ones. Call social services and tell them what is happening and look into the shleter links that everyone gave you. No situation is ever truley hopeless unless you are in a casket.

As cliche as this sounds - you are never handed more than you can handle. You may think that is the case but speaking from personal experience I know you will get through this...... it might make you feel better to go out and scream at the sky - that is what I do and as weird as it sounds good things always happened when I vented all my frustrations....

How this situation turns out is directly related to how you approach the problem. Approach the situation with rational thinking and calm and you will find that you will have a roof over your head.... ( who knows maybe your parents will change thier mind if you talk to them from a place of calm instead of emotion)

But I can guarentee that if you let you mind take over and run wild - you will stay in this heightened state of chaos.....

I'll say a prayer for added strength....

Ogly....
Old 08-13-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cass,
Sending you prayers and hugs. Please take some of the advise above, and call for help. Take a deep breath, and try to relax for a few minutes, easier said then done I know.
Will keep you and your family in my prayers
Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Cass, If there is domestic abuse in your family, there is a nation-wide number you can call. They will help you with a place to stay.

1-800-799-safe

Hugs, Lisa