New Here!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here!

hello all.

i am new here and thought i would introduce myself. i am a student about to start my junior years of college and am home for the summer working and visiting my parents. it was this past week that i was informed that for the past 30+ years my father has been an addict. about an hour after getting the news, he checked into a rehabilitation center. i was completely unaware of anything and the whole thing was completely shocking to me. my whole life, all my friends told me that my family was the leave it to beaver family and i was under that same impression and in this past week i am finding out more and more that i certainly have a hard time hearing but also things that confuse me to no end. in joining this community i hope to learn much more about this disease and also i hope to hear stories from the family side on how to cope. like i said this is all fresh and new to me so any stories of encouragement and support are welcomed... but by all means, let me know what im in for.

thanks.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

*hugs*

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I can only imagine how much it must hurt. The addict in my life is my sister, so my perspective is a little different.

Addiction is a disease, and a very tough one to beat. You should be very glad that your father is going to rehab... addicts rarely go to rehab before they are ready to admit that they need help. So, the fact that he is there is a great sign. Not to say you should assume that life for him will be clear skies from this point on, but at least his heart is in the right place.

Feel free to stick around. Read some of the other threads. Read the stickies at the top of the page. I could tell you all kinds of stories from my experience, but I don't know what you're looking for exactly, so I would be typing in circles.

And please, please, keep coming back. This place has helped me so much, and there is always room for one more.

*hugs and prayers*
Old 08-11-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I dont' know what to tell you are in for, but if your Dad has been an addict for 30 years it will take A LOT of perserverance on his part to stay clean.
I am just wondering (and you don't have to respond) what was he addicted to for 30 years? Most addicts are clean or dead way way way before then.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, you'll meet lots of great people who have answers and can help you.
You and your family are in my prayers,
susan
Old 08-11-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R. i am sorry for what brought you here. i am glad you are reaching out for help on this.that shows alot of maturity. i do not know what your dads story is but you are a very lucky person to have lived a childhood where you were protected from the facts of the addiction. read around the post & you will see that addiction can be ugly. get someone to go to meetings with you,nanaon or a.a. they both study the 12 steps. i am saying a prayer for your dad,you & your family.do not get discouraged.there is nothing you can do for your dad.he has got to do it all himself.just let him know you love him & pray for his recovery. hugs,hope
Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

p.s., keep coming back & let us know how you are doing. we care,hope
Old 08-11-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Fallingslowly!

Each person's experience with addiciton is different. Unfortuantely no one can give you a really good grasp of what you are in for - you just have to do what ever you can to prepare yourself for the ride. Coming here is a great first step. Finding a local in person Naranon meeting to go would be another. While virtual hugs are awesome - somewhere down the road you might need a real one (all hugs do wonders)

You can survie through someone's addiction, and lots of people come through to tell the tale and you will find a lot of them here. if you want to do some reading - one book that I always recommend for folks to get and read is Codependent no more by Melody Beattie. It will make you laugh, it will certainly make you cry and if like everyone else I know that has ever read it - it point out the behaviors that must change not in the addict but in those around the addict so they can live thier lives with the least amount of disruption possible.

again - welcome and we hope to see you back soon!

Ogly
Old 08-11-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I just want to welcome you too and assure you we understand and are glad to have you join us.

Make yourself comfortable, read the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum and know you are among friends who care.

Hugs
Old 08-11-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Gosh, I am sorry about your situation.
The more you come here the more you learn.
Keep coming back and posting. It helps you vent any feelings, and it helps you heal.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

tropikgal2... Unfortunately the more I go through this the more I find out. The first time he went through rehab it was for crank, cocaine, alcohol, marajuana, opiates, too much to name. This time it is for perscription pills only. The thought process was that since they were no longer "illegal" drugs then he could still claim sobriety. I guess that's why my mom didn't ever catch on. The symptoms weren't as severe.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

fallings,
You are a very wise girl to reach out as soon as you got the disturbing news of your father. You are among friends. There are a lot of people on here who are struggling with a family member who is addicted. One very important thing to know is that you can't cure it and you can't control it. It is all up to your father to take care of his recovery. I hope we can all be a help to you.

Blessings on your family..............Lo