Thanks for being part of my Recovery!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Thumbs up Thanks for being part of my Recovery!

This has been a very long, rough journey that I have been on. Not one of my choosing but I was one of the fortunate ones, just like many of you, who discovered before it was too late, that “I” needed recovery in my life.

Once I realized and was made aware of the fact that my daughter’s addiction was HER addiction and NOT mine, and that I was powerless to fix it or help her through it, the focus shifted on me. My original purpose in seeking such a site was negated. All my energy and purpose had been in finding answers to “fixing” her so I could subsequently be fixed. To me, it was that simple.

However, it is not that simple – there is no answer to a fix or cure for any of our loved ones when they become entangled and manipulated by substance abuse. Their lives simply revolve around getting their next hit of the substance of their choice and all else is lost to them. They don’t do it because of us or to do it “to” us. We just become another victim to the substance they are controlled by, whatever it may be.

However, until we realize that we cannot fix it, stop it or cure it, we are taken for a ride that will, I truly believe, destroy us and who we are if we let it. Once we take responsibility for ourselves and shift our attention to getting help for us, only then can we truly recover from the devastation that addiction wields.

I may not have the time to come here often anymore to post (I sneak on a lot to read) but my recovery is an ongoing venture and I take each and every one of you with me wherever I go and whatever I do. Just like the saying, WWJD, I have come up with one for my own survival, WWSRSD – and that stands for, “What Would Sober Recovery Survivors Do?” And believe me, a lot of you come immediately to my mind’s eye. You walk with me, you talk with me and you guide me. I take my time now to react to things because of all of you. My life has been made a lot better. Now, it I could ONLY make others see things the way I do! LOL LOL

I just wanted you all to know how much I appreciate what you all contribute each and every day. And to you newbies, please realize that the path you have chosen by coming here is a wise one. And to you who have been around for a long time and have directly affected me, you know who you are, I sincerely celebrate you and your contributions.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Marteen
That's beautiful, thanks for sharing that with us. You have been one of those people who helped me along when I first arrived here. I always appreciate your sharing and support!!
I love your "WWSRSD"!!!!
As always, it's wonderful to hear from you!!
hugs,
cmc
Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Marteen, I agree with cmc, that was beautiful and I know it came from your heart. And thank you my friend for being one of my guides when I first came here. You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((((Marteen)))))))))

You welcomed me here when I first arrived and were my blessing in disguise.
I love you and am so glad to walk this journey right alongside you, sweetie.
I'm with you.....Soberrecovery Rocks!

So do you. Love ya, Marteen.

Linda
Old 08-08-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We've walked together a long time, Marteen, and I consider myself blessed to have such a wonderful friend in recovery.

Your words touched my heart, I love you dear codie friend.

Now who has the tissues??? *sniff*

Hugs
Old 08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Marteen,

Your recovery is awesome. One nice thing about SR is that we can go back and read old posts of yours and remember your wisdom, your humor, and your love.

We'll keep a rockin chair open for you in case you find a few minutes to drop by and sit a spell.

Hugs
Cats
Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Marteen, this is a beautiful and hope-filled post, thank you for sharing your heart. And thank you for being one of the wonderful senior members (but not senior people, lol) who welcomed me and provided the strength, wisdom, encouragement, kick with the bunny slippers when needed, and love that picked me up and helped me find my way on this journey I am taking with all of you. I love you, dear Marteen and I have you and yours in my prayers always.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

((Marteen)) Thanks for showing what recovery looks like and demonstrating that if we live this program, we can give it to others. May whatever is keeping you busy also bring you joy. Our own recovery is the silver lining in our child's addiction, 'cause evey cloud has one.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Marteen))
Thank you for such a wonderful post. It shows your love for all of us here, and it gives us hope for the future.
You have helped me so much since I came here and for that I want to say THANK YOU!! You show us your strength and give us hope that maybe we can be as strong as you are someday.
I wish you all the best in the future, but know I will be missing you here. Please come back to visit when you can. You will always be in my heart for everything you have done here.
Keeping you and your family in my prayers
Old 08-09-2007, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((Marteen)))
Once again your example is shining.
You've come a long long way from hanging with the "poopie-heads" Huh?
That phrase always made me smile
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((marteen))

Can you please share those tissues?

B
Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
grateful rca

thanks marteen, you have also helped me in more ways than you could imagine. you have been like a diamond in the rough for me. i appreciate you too. sr has been a sanity saver for me, and i too am around you guys even when i'm not, can't get you out of my head.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
krhea75

Marteen,
You made me cry reading this. I knowwhat you mean about the sober recovery family being with you. I find myself thinking of you all during each day.It's funny how you can feel such love for people you have never met but shared so much with. Thanks.
krhea
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thank you, k
Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

OMG! There just aren't enough tissues!

You guys are too much.

You know, it's funny; I don't know what most of you look like but your names conjure up visions (Oh, that is scary!) lol
I feel your personalities, your strength, your weaknesses, your smiles and your tears - all this through the magic of the internet! Amazing!

And what is more amazing is that the intense devastation that brings us all together from the beginning of our journeys, binds us together with a glue that is more powerful than anything man can make.

Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff.....
Old 08-10-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Thanks for sharing, Marteen. Your strength and wisdom helped me so much when I first came here. I am honored to call you friend!

...tissues, please......