What SR has done for me..

Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What SR has done for me..

It was mid February when I logged on to SR and read an enormous amount of information on addiction, and this site comfirmed my reasoning for leaving my husband. My doubts had come to a complete hault, and it was then, that day, that I had told my Husband I was leaving. SR gave me the strengh to realize, that I was in a situation I could no longer control. This site, and all of the amazing people here, gave me hope and clarity on a situation I had know idea about, even though I was living it every day for seven years.

I have learned many things on this site.
I have learned, in my recovery, that I do not have to make decisions quickly. I can wait a day, or two. I can wait a month, if thats how long it takes me to see answers to questions I am unsure of. Funny thing is, after waiting a few weeks, I normally get the answer I already knew... -he is still using-

I have learned that it is okay to have bad days. I embrace the pain that I feel, because it has been years of trying to hide it, always being the strong one. I know, that during my days of sadness, that it is normal, and I would not be growing if I did not feel mourning of a marriage that I desperately wanted. The best part about having a horrible day is: I know that tomorrow is near, and that the next day, I always feel better.

SR has taught me, that my AH will never be the husband I need. He will never be the father I needed for my son. This is not a biast opinion about my situation, it is obvious through my husbands actions, and his continous drug use. SR has shown me how to live with my head above the sand, and to pay close attention to "red flags."

SR has given me hope. All of the wonderful people on here, have shared such inspiring experiences, giving me perserverence to know, that one day, I will be walking in your shoes. Free from addiction. Free from manipulation. Free from quacking. Free from pain.

I needed to share that tonight. I wanted to share the small road of recovery I have made so far and thank each and every one of you. I would not be here now if it were not for this forum. I would love to hear any one else's recovery .. I think we could use it right now..
Old 08-08-2007, 02:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You express yourself beautifully, Mavis, and I have always believed there is a magic to SR, a magic that connects us and helps us see with clarity, a gift most of us could use when we came here tired and befuddled.

Like in the rooms, I think that when we gather and share, our spirits connect and just as I may feel your pain, you may feel my courage or faith. This may all reverse the next time we meet, with me seeking out strength from you.

Together we walk sharing our tears and our laughter, our healing and our pain, and most of all our hearts.

Hugs
Old 08-08-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thank you Mavis!

I found SR when I was finally living on my own, during one of many sleepless nights. For me, it's a 24/7 meeting. Anytime I need to share, or to read, or to celebrate, SR is there.

And when I moved to another city? SR kept me working an active program of recovery as I looked for another Al Anon meeting that met my needs. If I share that I am going to take an action, there are people here who hold me accountable. And if I am in pain, there are people here who will listen with empathy and compassion, because they truly understand.

There is a lot of wisdom on these boards... many old timers with a lot of recovery and many newcomers with unique insight. All of us sharing... walking together.

Thanks for the post!

Hugs
Cats
Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I posted this as a thread, but I hit "ENTER" too soon, so the ridiculous title of my thread is "IT", instead of It's Never Too Late. It fits here...

It's never too late to find recovery!!

At my meeting last night, one of my favorite members shared her story. She has been in Al Anon for 25 yrs, and she's 80 yrs old. That means she didn't find a program of recovery until she was 55.

Her message is one of heartache, humor and hope. Today she lives a full and wonderful life, doing volunteer work. Her son has been clean and sober for 10 years, which means he found HIS recovery in his mid 30's. Their relationship has been enriched, and they are happy to share in each other's recovery.

This is just one of the many stories of recovery and hope that I hear. I think it's important that we all remember that recovery can happen any day, anytime. It's never too late!

Hugs

Cats
Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i am glad you are here. you are doing so good with your recovery.your post mean alot to alot of us.hugs & prayers, hope
Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

thanks for sharing your story of hope. i'm so glad you are here to share this with us, it means to much to me too.