From Gwen *some details may trigger*

Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

From Gwen *some details may trigger*

HELLO!

Laurie is gracious enough to post this for me so I can continue my connection with all of you. I am doing the best I can here. It’s nothing a person can truly be prepared for. I have 2 weeks down and 14 days to go in this housing unit. I am in what they call R&O (receiving and orientation). This is where they run you through various doctors, dentist, psych and vision.

This is a Level 5 Maximum Security Facility. There are girls from all walks of life. There are about 120 women on my wing alone. There are abut 10 that are pregnant and will have their babies here. They are chained to the bed and only have 24 hours to spend with their babies before giving them over to family or the Amish to be adopted. One of the officers said yesterday that 86% of the women released will return in less than a year. What really bothers me the most here is that 90% of these women show no remorse for what they have done wrong and can’t wait to get back out there.

The majority of the girls here are in for drugs – no surprise there. The others are here for murder, armed criminal robbery, grand theft, identity theft, DUI, and probation and parole violations. I share a room with 6 other women who are here for: the armed robbery, 12 counts of identity theft; a woman who killed 2 teenagers while driving drunk; a woman who was a drug user and her baby got a hold of her drugs and she found the baby dead with his brain oozing from his nose (sorry to be so graphic but these are the crimes); and another who had a dirty UA for drugs while on probation.

The woman who killed the teens is to serve a 22yr prison term. The woman whose baby died got a life sentence…………and the other 3 have drug treatment.

I tend to stay by myself on my bunk. We have a dayroom where we can watch TV-at Full Volume, there are several kinds of card games, dominoes, pictionary and scrabble. There are 6 bathrooms, 6 showers and 2 phones. We have to sign up for the showers and the phones for 15 minutes a day. We spend the rest of the days waiting to see the various doctors.

I really look forward to Wednesday. That is when we get to go to either the Law Library or the Recreation hall. At recreation they have an aerobics class, volleyball, softball, basketball, exercise equipment, weights and every board game you could imagine. They even have hoola hoops and jump ropes…..we get 2 hours to be like kids!!!!! Fridays we put in our orders for the Canteen and pickup the orders on Monday mornings. They have everything from cigarettes, junk food, cereal, candy, stamps, paper, pens, envelopes, phone cards, and personal hygiene products. Stuff to make life here more bearable.

We also have Church on Sundays and Bible Study on Mondays and Tuesdays. I haven’t been to the Church Service because it is o very crowded and it gets really loud, but I do attend the Bible Studies, I learn more that way.

Well I have been here 2 weeks, I was able to talk to my daughter for about 10 minutes yesterday. She is doing pretty well with this so far, but started to break a bit when she heard my voice……..I comforted her by telling her how proud I am of her and hw his will be over soon. Paul said the baby gets upsets and cries when he hears my voice and wants me, he is taking this separation very hard, so we have agreed that I won’t talk with him on the phone. I am thinking maybe I shouldn’t have them come visit, I don’t know yet for sure.

I have been getting a few notes and cards from some of you and I wanted to thank you so much, I will respond as soon as I get more stamps. I cannot tell you what ‘mail time’ means to all of us girls. We crowd the dayroom hoping to get letters from home, pictures, and drawings from our kids.

Well I am going to go now it’s time for lunch. I will keep in contact with all of you through Laurie.

Gwen

This was mailed Aug 3rd and I received it today Aug 7th.

I will post her letters to y'all as I get them.

love and hugs,
Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks, Laurie. My prayers go out for Gwen, that the time passes quickly and that her light may shine on some others who share her space.

Hugs
Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Laurie...sending love and light and prayers to Gwen and you too Laurie...what a good freind you are!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Thanks laurie for posting Gwen letters you are a true friend!

Jewel
Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for posting. i feel as if gwens H.P. may do some work thru her. prayers for gwen & you too.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

prayers and support to gwen. blessings, k
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
grateful rca

thanks laurie, i'm keeping gwen in my prayers. let gwen know that i am thinking of her and that she is so loved. let her know that i think she is a very strong and brave woman.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gwen, it is so good to hear the strength in your letter; I can recall how terrified you were, and yet you sound as though you have walked through much of that.

It reminds me again that faced with impossible, heartbreaking situations, so many people find resources, strength and loving support they never knew they had....
Write again! We'll be looking to hear from you.

And keep journaling ~ I was in...hmmm.. an "enclosed situation" a few years ago, more voluntary than not, and still retain the journal and its descriptions of my feelings and the people around me . It's almost a touchstone, to help me guage where I was then, relative to where I am now. & of course, what I learned then.

Hugs and prayers ~ Nitelite

p.s. Laurie, what a great friend you are!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting Gwen's letter. Her light will shine on others, and maybe help others change their ways when they get out. I know her HP will keep her safe.
Prayers going to Gwen and you too Laurie for sharing this.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thanks laurie, how blessed Gwen is to have a true friend like you! Prayers go out for both of you.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks again Laurie for the update. Hey I have an idea...its lazy in a way of me but why don't we open a thread now and then...we can post to our support to Gwen and someone can print it out, fold it up and mail it to her. I will chip in on the stamps but I have ADD and writing a letter and putting it in the snail mail is like trying to reinvent the wheel to me. Just a thought.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Noah I already send her copies, lol but can send no more than 5 pages in an envelope, prison rules.

So I print out from this site and another and send off every few days.

We had a thread going. Maybe it's time to start a new one.

love and hugs,
Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((((Gwen))))))

I know you are gonna make it and that maybe your light will shine on someone there that can make it too. i have always admired you. Know my prayers are going out for you and your family.

As Jesus said: take my yoke for my burden is light...that is how I am going to see you. Take good care my dear.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

It's so heartbreaking to read about the women who have ruined their llives, and why they're there. This would be a great post for the narcotics addiction and the alcoholics boards.

I am so glad you're doing ok. It won't be long and you'll be free.
Keep up the good attitude and take care.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Laurie - thanks for posting Gwen's letter.

Gwen so great to hear from you - have to be careful about reading this at work - getting tears in my eyes & laughing at the same time - people at work will think I'm nuts - oh well they already do -

HulaHoop for us!!
((Gwen))

Rita
Old 08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I rec'd a letter from Gwen today, she said to say Hi to all her friends on SR. She seems in good spirits, trying to meld into the system. It was good to hear from her, I have sent off another letter.