Success Stories

Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Success Stories

I feel like I 'really' need to hear a success story about now. Any out there? My AH is addicted AND has chronic pain...those two just don't go together. Dealing with one, aggrivates the other. I know I need to make decisions that are best for me and the kids but my heart is still wrapped around him as a person and hope and pray 'someday' HE finds relief and control. If any of you have a success story to share, it would be wonderful to hear. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Frog, Have you tried reading any of the threads on the Substance Abuse Forum. I know there are people on there that have pain problems but have managed to find a way to overcome and seek recovery. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-06-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i do not know your husbands health problems. my husband had 3 vertibras removed from his neck & still is in alot of pain at times. he goes to a pain dr. every 3 months & has cortizone injections. maybe that would help your husband. prayers,
Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Since you asked for success stories...I have a couple:

1. Before my wife got clean I learned how to detach while continuing to love her. I was able to stop worrying and losing sleep, to just say to her "I love you. You can get better" and go on with my life. I don't have any magic tricks for making that happen--I did go to Naranon (and AA--I'm a double winner) and kept busy with work, and was just lucky that my wife woke up from her disease in time.

2. People can and do recover everyday, including people with all kinds of seemingly insurmountable problems. My wife's case seemed pretty hopeless at times, but she now has two months clean, has cut off all contact with her sources for drugs...my serenity doesn't *depend* on her staying clean, but we have found our lives together again and are happy again. That seemed impossible less than a year ago...

So I know this situation isn't exactly like yours, but I hope that's inspiring.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree that reading the AA and NA forums will show you miracles happen every day and many of them live right here at SR.

Success story? Well, my son has been missing 3 years and I don't know if he is dead or alive or where he might be....but I have been able to turn his care over to God every single day and ask Him to look after it all, and then trust that He will. I find beauty in every sunrise and each sunset and all that falls between, and I am happier and feel more inner peace than ever before in my life. I'd call that a success story.

Success stories here are not about whether our addicts get well today or tomorrow, but they are about how we learn to live well, to find our own happiness and learn that life is too precious to waste even one moment.

I see many many success stories here, and I don't recall ever seeing one single failure.

Hugs
Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On a tear

My mom has been sober (alcohol) for about 27 years (since Feb. 1980). My sister has been clean and sober (alcohol and meth) since November 2004. My daughter has been clean (meth) since June 2005.

Like the others - I read upstairs (AA/NA forums) or attend open AA/NA meetings when I want a really big dose of "hope".

It is everywhere - and Ann, for one, is a wonderful example to me.

((hugs))
Old 08-06-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kevin, my xagf brother was a meth addict for 20 years or so. He quit everything, turned over a new leaf and is doing good now. He says there is no way in hell he would ever go back or get near it again. It was about 2.5 years ago when Kevin came to stay in a spare bedroom to detox at my home. So far so good.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I have a friend in NY who had the daughter from hell. I can't begin to tell you the torment my friend went through with her. From her leaving and hitchhiking all over the country, dumping her children on my friend, one of which is a severe diabetic at 10 years old.
This girl is now 29. She began her downward spiral at 18.
Well, to make a very long story short, she finally reached her bottom and has been clean for over a year. She's in school, and has something to look forward to.

Believe me, this was a huge accomplishment. It happens. It may take an awful long time, but eventually it happened with my friends daughter.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My son has been living and recovering in a christian facility for over a year....he is dealing with mental health issues (used his DOC to self medicate for years )

good days and bad days...(bad days are full of anxiety etc...the drugs that truly address those issues are narcotics so they are not an option)...learning to cope is the only option and that takes time and work...

this is a journey not a destination...

no one knows what is waiting around the next bend...we can only pray that it's continued recovery for those who have started the process and a beginning for those who still suffer...
Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My RAH has been sober for 1 year and 10 month. He was addicted to coke/crack 6 years. Before that it was pot and speed. It's been a though ride, it's still hard some days.

Miracle does happen sometimes, I truly believe it.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

I haven't been around the rooms of recovery for as long as many around here, but I know what I consider a success story:

The people who make up my face to face Al Anon group such as:

1. The lady who has been coming for over 30 years. She comes in order to give back to those of us struggling and to show her gratitude to the program that has helped get her life back on track, DESPITE what her alcoholic husband is doing.

2. The other lady who continues to come even though her alcoholic husband passed on 10 or so years ago. She, too, comes in order to share her experience, strength and hope.

3. The mother whose AS just got out of treatment. He went at it hard for 10 years and this mother says, "I came into the room of Al Anon on a stretcher. It was my last hope." This mom has been coming for 2 years now and doesn't miss a meeting. I've seen this woman change from a near suicidal mother to a mom who now refuses to love her son to death by her enabling. She realizes SHE has to have a life and "letting go and letting God" is the best plan for both her son and herself now.

4. The precious elderly lady who started coming to Al Anon 6 or so years ago. She had to be 70 at the time. Her AH has passed on, but she continues to come. She is proof to me that one is NEVER too old to change and improve their life.

And then there are the women and men on this board who were here when I walked in in my broken and terribly fearful state. Women such as Ann, Mooselips, JustTired, Morning Glory, Ozier (Cats Pajamas), Big Sis, Marteen, Abtchonamission, Wolfstar, Best, and the list goes on. Some welcomed me, some joined after I did. And I can't remember all the names, but all have been so instrumental in my recovery through sharing their recovery. THEY gave me hope. THEY encouraged me by telling me they were making it, one day at a time, despite where their addict was in his/her life. THEY taught me a better way to live.

All these I have mentioned are the "ANON" success stories. I think their stories are remarkable. They are the ones who have shown me the light, shown me a better path to take as I walk this road of recovery. I am so very grateful God put them and all you on this board in my life, for there was/is a lesson for me to learn. And God just knew I'd need women and men like I've mentioned and the other women on this board to show me the way.

Success stories? Look around this board. They're right here. :-)
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Success stories? Look around this board. They're right here.
Amen, sister, amen.