Greet has her lawn, I have my blueberries!!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greet has her lawn, I have my blueberries!!

Hi guys,
I was just reading Greet's latest post about her daughter, and how she mowed her little heart out to let go of a little stress!. Well, for me, I've been picking, and picking, and picking wild blueberries....you know, those nice little ones we have here in New England. I've picked at 6 am and 8 pm and everywhere in between, and had several conversations with my hp at the time, shed a whole lot of tears, and am still just trying to understand it all.
Sooooooo, what do some of you do to release a little frustration??
And by the way, I have thanked hp many times for the abundant berries this year!!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I luuuuuvvvvv blueberries, so if you take a notion to bake a blueberry pie, just call me and I'll bring my own fork.

When I need to get the frustration out, I walk and I walk and I walk....some days I feel like Forest Gump when he just kept running. Walking releases the pent up energy and it also takes me along the lake and up beautiful walking trails...now who could stay stressed in such a nice setting.

Maybe if I start now I could walk toward your place and get myself some blueberry pie.

Hugs
Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, Ann, it doesn't stop at blueberry pie!!! How about blueberry buckle or blueberry layered dessert, blueberry crisp, pancakes and muffins ( 3 recipes for those ) blueberry cake and jam?? Then there's blueberry cheesecake......not to mention that my freezer is FULL!
My daughter, who is a total chocoholic asked me yesterday if I wasn't getting really tired of the blueberry baking by now.....guess I had better whip her up some real brownies!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I can'th type becauth I am drooooooooling all over *slurp* the keyboard.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Hmm, blueberries, I just love them...I ate two of those store bought containers last week, just nekkked....
Old 08-02-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Blueberries are really good for you to eat. A lot of antioxidants, so pick away I am like Ann, when I am stressed I walk. I have also been known to talk to myself a lot. I just talk it out until I feel at peace. Petting and talking to my dogs help too. Today I made homemade cherry vanilla ice cream and I was letting the dogs lick the beaters. Petey is quite a bit shorter than the other 4 so the ice cream kept falling on his head and back. The other dogs were trying to lick it off and Petey was not taking too kindly to it and was snapping at them. I just laughed and laughed and then I picked him up and washed him off. He is such a goofy little guy. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I go linedancing to get my frustrations out. I haven't been there in a while. I usually take the summer off because I go to my summer place a lot. There I can sit on my deck on the swing that overlooks a huge pond. Beautiful scenery, watch the ducks. Meditate and swing away.

Marle, You made me smile with the dogs ice cream story. I had a visual and it made me laugh. Don't you wish we could pass some of the good things that we make through our computers? If we could.......tonight we would all be having some of my Texas sheet cake. And maybe a little of your cherry vanilla ice cream with a blueberry on top................Yum!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

mjpaao,

If you would care to share your blueberry pie recipe, why, I think a few of us would be most grateful. Not that we can get YOUR quality of blueberries in most parts of the world, but we can try....

GL
Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lobo, I love Texas sheet cake. One of my fondest memories is making myself sick on it Hugs, Marle
Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not beyond begging for a care package I came across a huge field of wild blueberries on a hike last Saturday...really is a good season.

Aside from the lawn and weeding, I too am a walker and when I am really filled with the kind of stress that makes me feel like I will implode, I run...Never used to run...couldn't stand it; now I need it 3 or 4 times a week to feel right. I wish I could go for a run right now....
Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by marle View Post
Lobo, I love Texas sheet cake. One of my fondest memories is making myself sick on it Hugs, Marle

Marle, you really crack me up. Now pass me some of that ice cream, please.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I stumbled upon a really good blueberry crumb cake recipe if your interested! I liked it so much I ended up making four cakes and delivering them to my neighbors about a month ago!!

For anyone who's interested...

Cake:

1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries

Topping:
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flower
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup cold butter

In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powerder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternatively with milk. Fold in blueberries. Pour into greased 9 inch square baking pan.

For topping, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over cake.

Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

Enjoy!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oohh....when I am having some rough days, I cook and bake and use up the stock in my pantry.........I'm sure I must be a sight talking to my rolling pin and beating dough up but fortunately, no one can see me except hubby.....he always finds something that "needs to be done" outside when I have this problem......

Hmmm...one really bad day recently I made chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, brownies, pecan pie bites, and Scottish Shortbread cookies in one afternoon. I ended up giving them away as little gifts to family....sheesh I must have been mad that day....
Old 08-04-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

GiveLove,
I have 2 good recipes. They both came from my mom's recipe box. She was a great cook....but some of her recipes are a little "vague." I remember when I asked her how to make fudge, she said 2 cups sugar, then some cocoa. I asked how much, she said "oh, you know, til it looks chocolatey!"
With that in mind, the first recipe
Blueberry Pie
Mix together 6 tsp flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Mix lightly through 4 cups blueberries. Pour into pastry lined pieplate. Dot with 1 1/2 T. butter. Cover with piecrust.
Bake 400 degrees.
See what I mean??

The next one is better!!
New Hampshire Wild Blueberry Pie
Spread over bottom of cooked 9" pie shell 1 (3 oz ) package cream cheese, softened. On top of this pour one pint blueberries.
Mash one pint of blueberries and add water if necessary to make 1 1/2 cups. Bring to a boil and gradually stir in mixture of 1 cup sugar and 3 T. cornstarch. Cook over low heat stirring constantly til boiling and boil 1 minute. Chill. Pour over berries in pie shell. Chill about 2 hours. Serve with whipped cream.
Outonalimb, your recipe sounds terrific, thank you, I'll definately try this one!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My recipe for blueberry pie is to fly North approximately 800 miles, land on the Other Island that is near Moose Island and go to a Chinese (yes, Chinese) restaurant.... which was, incidentally, the only restaurant I saw there) Unbelievable Blueberry Pie for dessert.

It's a bit expensive, roughly $800 or so... but it was a heck of a piece of pie....