Language of Letting Go - August 1

Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - August 1

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Gratitude

We learn the magical lesson that making the most of what we have turns it into more.
--Codependent No More

Say thank you, until we mean it.

Thank God, life, and the universe for everyone and everything sent your way.

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, and confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. It turns problems into gifts, failures into successes, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. It can turn an existence into a real life, and disconnected situations into important and beneficial lessons. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.

Gratitude makes things right.

Gratitude turns negative energy into positive energy. There is no situation or circumstance so small or large that it is not susceptible to gratitude's power. We can start with whom we are and what we have today, apply gratitude, then let it work its magic.

Say thank you, until you mean it. if you say it long enough, you will believe it.

Today, I will shine the transforming light of gratitude on all the circumstances of my life.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Early in recovery I discovered an "attitude of gratitude" could change my perspective on any situation and keep the positive energy flowing.

I was grateful for the lesson that each experience, good or bad, brought me.

I was grateful for a support group that could encourage me to keep trying new ways to make my life livable.

I was grateful for each challenge that taught me how to use my recovery tools of tolerance, compassion and boundaries. Each time made me stronger.

Today I am grateful for that wonderful gift called "life".

Today the sun will rise and this evening the sun will set, regardless of how I choose to live my day. Living my day in gratitude lets me see the beauty of all that surrounds me. It's a good way to live.

Hugs

Last edited by Ann; 08-01-2007 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ann

I have so much to be grateful for, but this last week I have once again dove into my depression after my daughter. I am climbing out, ever so slowly, but I will make myself say thanks for everything I have. I needed to read this again this am,
susan
Old 08-01-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann
I belong to a group that every day we have to come up with three things we are grateful for and post it to the others. We can not repeat any for one year. Some days it is hard, but I can always come up with at least three new gratitudes each day.
Great Post
Terri