He's going for help today

Old 07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up He's going for help today

It's been almost a week since I've been out of the house. I've kept my distance from AH as much as possible and basically kept my mouth shut. I gave him the phone number for an addiction counsellor the very first day. Told him what I was and was not willing to live with and have pretty much left it at that. He's called every night begging me to come home and I've firmly stood my ground and told him no everytime. I've learned, that like many of you say, NO is a complete sentence!
Anyways, yesterday he stopped by here to see the kids for a little while and told me that he'd made an appointment with a counsellor. I'm, too say the least, a little bit shocked. He's always said that he would NEVER go talk to anyone. Last night he said that he knew he had a problem, that he was fed up with living this life, he wanted help, and that there's going to be some changes happening because he's finished and never wants to go there again. I'm happy for him that he's realized and admitted that he DOES have a problem. At the same time I'm apprehensive because I'm not sure if it's just an act to get me home. I'm still standing my ground and will not go home until I am ready.. 100% ready. I have told him that I'm glad he's trying.. but I cannot and will not go home until I see a change.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

He took a very hard first step...now his actions need to line up with his thoughts.
I'll keep you and he in my prayers
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 07-27-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

so many times our A's would love for us to base our opinions on their intentions rather than their actions but we know that actions speak so much louder.

Keep taking care of you and stand firm on the boundaries that keep you and the kids safe and serene.

((Big Sis))

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 07-27-2007, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a step in the right direction...maybe this counselor can convince him to get more help... Outsiders seem to have a way of impacting us that those closest to us can't sometimes...

In the meantime, I am so glad that your recovery is going so well.

*hugs and prayers*
Old 07-27-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's wonderful! Glad to hear that he took a step in that direction. I, too, am glad to hear of your recovery.

I wish that I had insisted on more "action" from RAH prior to tying our stars together. He's still sober after two years but his recovery program has not been very strong. The "isms" have been really tough to deal with.

Glad to hear about this news however!

Love, Donna
Old 07-27-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you Big Sis. Your recovery is shining so brightly. I am happy that he finally admitted he needed help and didn't want to live the way he was. I pray that this time he really gets it and gets his act together for all of you.
I am so proud of you for doing what you are doing for YOU!!! You made a choice that is best for you now and said this is what I want. Next week, month etc, you can change your mind and know you are doing what is best for you at that time.
Stay strong, and keep shining.
Hugs
Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Good for you and him!
blessings,
susan
Old 07-27-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keeping you and him in my prayers. Hoping his actions match his words and he follows through. Good for you that you know the difference and you are keeping yourself a safe distance away. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On a tear

Trust your gut, Sis... your instincts are good. Cece said it first - trust the actions, the words are ... just words.

But a little hope can sure buoy us up, I know. ((hugs))
Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well... He went! He said it went very well. He seemed to really like the counsellor and has made himself another appointment. He also mentioned that there are groups that he and I can attend together and asked if I would be interested in going with him. I told him that I would. Still apprehensive.. but one step at a time.