Its "only" Pot.. FWIW

Old 07-27-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Its "only" Pot.. FWIW

British Study. Doesn't cite Pot as Causal. Read and take it FWIW.
My personal opionion is a drug is a drug is a drug.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3102653.shtml
Old 07-27-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I hate it when people say it's only "pot" - Hello it's only illegal
Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would be curious to see a study done researching the number of habitual pot users who end up with chemical imbalances, anxiety attacks, severe depression, bi polar and other mental disorders. My X is a long time heavy pot smoker who was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance. He also refuses to take his meds because he can't smoke and drink while using them. Perhaps thats where some of the "explosion" of pot related mental disorders lies? An addictive personality who can't control his/her pot might be "wired" so that the drug causes things to go out of whack.
We also need to acknowledge that todays pot is not your mother's pot. It's been laced with alot of chemicals and who knows what that may contribute to the mental disorder.
And, yup, a drug is a drug, and to an addict, pot is just as addicting and destroying as any other drug. I know, I lived it.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yesterday and this am msnbc had a similar article on the internet-most informative. I was thinking hubby was metally ill and told him so-along with his pot and other "recreational drugs" after 34 yrs. he is more than likely all that are mentioned in the articles. (SORRY-he left his pups here and they ate my glasses I could see with) so excuse the errors. Article said they were in a range of 50-200% of developing mental health issues.Just what we all needed to hear, but glad to know it. All the more reason to just "turn them loose"? Hubby would not go to a dr.he is definately imbalanced-grows his and friends pot somewhere-bragged 81 plants. Great state I live in-police don't care-state rep does not care-they have "serious" drugs to try to control. LOL
Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

...and our addicts use that to justify themselves..."See, the cops don't care, it's only pot..." Meanwhile our families are in chaos because of "only" pot.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chaos is an understatement. Just checked my rent house-only two houses from mine. Looks likd the whole "gang" is there and I know they are not playing Monopoly or checkers or video games. About 2 wks. ago I saw what they did with my own eyes-hubby just wanted me to see "what the real world is like". Best friend is a local cop-he rented the same house for yrs. Called him that night-wants to know what I want him to do-SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING!!!!!!!! I am so sick of hearing it is just "pot"! An evicition notice is one the way!!!!!!! I would call tonight but would do little good-just only pot. Tenants are friends of hubby's who when I thought he was okay last December-they would be ok. HAHA!!!! Bad state, bad laws, rural area, tiny town-I would get out except my healthy happy gram is still here-104 and going strong!!!! She has no clue of the mess. JUST VENTING I would go outside and scream but would wake the only neighbor up.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I remember the 70's when most of us were smoking pot. Eating entire boxes of cereal, and lying around doing NOTHING all afternoon.
It's a waste of life to be so unmotivated and so useless after smoking pot.
I absolutely HATE it now.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok, I stand corrected-I remember from the early 60s, I tried it. Hubby is a "pothead". He has gone to prison over pot,pills, methadone pills, and especially meth and mfg. meth-!!!! I am 100% certain that pot is not the only thing "his bunch" is doing. Whatever-? Would you smoke a joint with your child?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

My XABF was a major pot head. I was naive and did not know... never smoked it and never hung with those that did. No idea.... but man.. the actions.

He had been a coke head, but "said" he had kicked it because he lost his reputation. Hellloooooo... Pot is not a drug too? He replaced the cocaine with pot (likely financial reasons and he learned how to grow it, so could get hi for free!).

A little over a year ago he got an inheritance and things suddenly changed.. found a girl who did drugs and suddenly started to have to go on over night trips. these were to do drugs and sleep with her (I found a bill for the motel that he left on the counter in the bills to be paid pile).

I believe he was doing lines again.

I don't know. He is gone. He is still alive. He had a heart attack and now is working on his next one. Has many medical issues and uses drugs. I guess that is why it is called dope.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Plain and simple- A DOPE DOES DOPE!!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The pot in the 60's & 70's wasn't like the hybrid, chemically induced crap today. It was mostly "home grown" weed. I remember hearing that Tai Stix were mixed w/ pot in the late 70's. You don't know what the dealers have cut it with to make more $$.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My parents are pot addicts and my dad has depression. No kidding huh? This whole thread makes me happy, just to know that I am not alone and there are others out there like me, who believe it is an addiction and it is bad.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Let me grow up.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only who finds it completely ridiculous when someone says, "I don't do drugs. I just smoke pot." OMG. . .get a clue! That's the stupidest $#!* I've ever heard! Drugs are drugs including alcohol and nicotine though they're not illegal. . .yet. . . and I can assure you that when the cops pull you over and see you have marijuana in your possession they're not going to say, "Oh. It's just pot. Nevermind, let em go."

Last edited by newblue82; 07-28-2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-28-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Alcohol is bad. It is legal. If you drive and drink and get caught you have big trouble.
Pot is illegal. It gets you hi. It may or may not be as bad as alcohol (I never used it so I do not know). If you smoke and get hi and drive and get caught it is big trouble.

Hellloooo..... drug is a drug is a drug is a drug....
God how it all sux.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caileesnana View Post
The pot in the 60's & 70's wasn't like the hybrid, chemically induced crap today. It was mostly "home grown" weed. I remember hearing that Tai Stix were mixed w/ pot in the late 70's. You don't know what the dealers have cut it with to make more $$.

i keep hearing that, but I think the pot i smoked in high school was stronger than what is common now. Back then it was all red or gold, and there was hash oil, which was really strong-and I don't think they even have that around anymore....
Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Steve grew his own. sold it. bought it. resold it for a profit. I found out the whole story as he was moving out. The dealers called here after he was moved and b4 I changed my phone number.

My High electric bills that I had when he lived here have been severely reduced.. from $300-$400 every other month to around $100... and if I repleced the refrigerator and stopped using the clothes drier, it would be less......

I know nuthin' about the way pot affects a person... or how coke does or any of that. Alcohol makes me thro up if I have too much.

I could never make it as the Town Drunk or as a drug addict. Everything makes me thro up!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

my ex son inlaw has done pot for about 30yrs now. i can not tell he has done it.i guess that is because i have probley never seen him when he was not high.pot is a drug & i wonder what he would be with out it.i have never figured out how people can think it is not a drug.i have heard so many horror stories about pot, here & other places also.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One of my antidepressants warns...do not use with pot as it can cause a psychotic reaction!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pot, weed or whatever else you want to call it-is an illegal drug. I hate it as U can tell from post. If anyone believes that smoking it does not increase the chance of using other drugs-they are wrong. Smokers can only get so "high" from it and then want to go to another plain of high and it goes on and on!!!!!!!! Not true for a good % but does happen more than most realize. I know this for a fact!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elana View Post

My High electric bills that I had when he lived here have been severely reduced.. from $300-$400 every other month to around $100... and if I repleced the refrigerator and stopped using the clothes drier, it would be less......

I know nuthin' about the way pot affects a person... or how coke does or any of that. Alcohol makes me thro up if I have too much.

I could never make it as the Town Drunk or as a drug addict. Everything makes me thro up!
I think i heard that is one way they catch people growing sometimes-by noticing a spike in electricity usage. One house is town got caught just because of the strong pot odor coming from it because they had so many plants growing!

Elana, Consider yourself lucky that those 'career options' are out of the question for you!!