Quick question...

Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick question...

Has anyone ever gone through the 12 steps of al-anon or nar-anon at the same time that their A was going through the 12 steps of AA or NA?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

actually, from what I understand, tons of people do it this way and have success with it. Just don't veer from your 12 steps in the event that your A veers from his or hers. My parents are going to meetings twice a week currently, and both are actually at the same time and location as a meeting my sister goes to.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, not uncommon. I would suggest, however that you let your recovery be yours and your addicts his. I personally think it can be uncomfortable to go to the same open meetings....much harder to share from the heart. It's different if there is an "anon" meeting at the same time as NA or AA (like Lady's folks and her sister), but the same meeting together often...I just think it is harder to be open.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

yes - I have - actually my AH was working on his before I started on mine.

It is totally different tho - For me, the steps are a guide to learning what is good and healthy for me; improving my relationship with my HP and learning to give support to others who have walked with similiar path.

It doesn't really matter what is going on with my AH - it still affects me, but it doesn't control me.

As the same with him - he has the choice to continue his recovery regardless of what I do - my actions may affect him, but if he is truly focused on his recovery the lose the power to control him as so does the active part of the disease.

Just my e, s, & h,
Rita
Old 07-26-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I started Alanon/Naranon at the same time that RAH started in NA. After my 5th step I ended up in AA as well as Alanon. I finished my 12th step in Februrary of this year. RAH has gotten up to the 8th and sputtered out.

My experience has been that the more RAH works his own program and I work mine - the better. He actually has barely scratched the surface of the steps and it is showing in our relationship. He is 2 years sober and a dry drunk/dry addict.