Guidance on forum please

Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Guidance on forum please

Can someone tell me or dircet me to what certain letters, such as RAH, AS, AH etc mean? I'm clueless on that.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It can be a little confusing trying to decipher the language of the forum. There's still a few that I haven't figured out yet. But to start the list...

AS = Addict Son
AH = Addict Husband
AD = Addict Daughter
ABF or AGF = Addict Boyfriend or Addict Girlfriend
R = Recovering (RAH = Recovering Addict Husband)
Old 07-24-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

R = Recovering
A = Addict or Alcoholic

H,W,S,D,S are used in short for husband,wife,spouce, daughter, son

BIL,SIL,MIL,FIL ... in laws.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

And EXABF or AGF or AW or AH means...well... ex
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

DIL=daughter-in-law
OMG=Oh my God
LOL=laugh out loud
IMO= In my opinion
Can anyone think of any others?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

ROTFLSHIFOMSABMB

Rolling On The Floor
Laughing So Hard, I Fell Off My Stool and Busted My Butt

Know someone that happened to *LOL*
He was laughing so much he fell off his stool by the computer and landed on his butt, breaking his tailbone.

Said it only hurt when he laughed *LOL*
Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have been getting a lot of questions about what things mean and how it all works. I hope this might help, and I’m sure that others will jump in and explain what I have missed:

Al Anon (and Nar Anon) terminology

Al Anon (www.alanon.org)

For over 50 years, Al-Anon (which includes Alateen for younger members) has been offering hope and help to families and friends of alcoholics. It is estimated that each alcoholic affects the lives of at least four other people... alcoholism is truly a family disease. No matter what relationship you have with an alcoholic, whether they are still drinking or not, all who have been affected by someone else’s drinking can find solutions that lead to serenity in the Al-Anon/Alateen fellowship. (taken from the Al Anon website)

Meetings:
You can often locate a meeting in your area by looking in the white pages of your phone book, or sometimes in the blue government pages. (You can also do a search from the Al Anon website: www.alanon.org)

FTF: Face to Face. This refers to a meeting- Al Anon, Nar Anon, Codependents Anonymous or whatever meeting you might be going to.

Working a program: If you go to a Face to Face Al Anon meeting, you will hear people talk about working a program of recovery. Just like the alcoholics who attend AA or the addicts who attend NA, members of Al Anon have their own program. In Al Anon, you learn about the 12 steps (taken from Alcoholics Anonymous), the slogans, the serenity prayer, getting a sponsor. All of these things are highly recommended if you want to find the recovery and serenity that other members of Al Anon have found. The fundamental issue is that WE work our OWN program, and the Addict or Alcoholic works theirs.

The suggested opening for Al Anon meetings:

We welcome you to this Al-Anon Family Group Meeting, and hope you will find in this fellowship the help and friendship we have been privileged to enjoy. We who live, or have lived, with the problem of alcoholism understand as perhaps few others can. We, too, were lonely and frustrated but in Al-Anon we discover that no situation is really hopeless and that it is possible for us to find contentment and even happiness, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not.

We urge you to try our program. It has helped many of us find solutions that lead to serenity. So much depends on our own attitudes, and as we learn to place our problem in its true perspective, we find it loses its power to dominate our thoughts and our lives.
The family situation is bound to improve as we apply the Al-Anon ideas. Without such spiritual help living with an alcoholic is too much for most of us. Our thinking becomes distorted by trying to force solutions, and we become irritable and unreasonable without knowing it.
The Al-Anon program is based on the suggested Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, which we try, little by little, one day at a time, to apply to our lives along with our slogans and the Serenity Prayer. The loving interchange of help among members and daily reading of Al-Anon literature thus make us ready to receive the priceless gift of serenity.
Al-Anon is an anonymous fellowship. Everything that is said here, in the group meeting and member-to-member, must be held in confidence. Only in this way can we feel free to say what is on our minds and in our hearts, for this is how we help one another in Al-Anon.

The 12 steps:
Step 1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives had become unmanageable.
Step 2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
Step 3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over the care of God as we understood Him
Step 4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves
Step 5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs
Step 6. Were entirely to have God remove all of these defects of character
Step 7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings
Step 8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all
Step 9. Made direct amends to such people where ever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others
Step 10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it
Step 11. Sought thru prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out
Step 12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

The Slogans:
Easy does it
First things first
How important is it?
Just for today
Keep an open mind
Expect a miracle
Keep it simple
Let go and Let God
Let it begin with me
Listen and learn
Live and let Live
One Day at a Time
Think

Sponsors: a sponsor is a person who is actively working a program of recovery who helps you to work your own program of recovery. Usually, you meet this person at a meeting, and you ask him or her to be your sponsor. The sponsor/sponsee relationship is one of mutual help and support, and its basis is TRUST. This is the person who can help you work the steps, with whom you can share your day to day events & feelings, and who can be brutally honest with you – with love.

This is from the section on Sponsorship from the book Al Anon, How it Works:

Sponsors cannot make the Al Anon program work for others. Each of us, sponsor and sponsored alike, must apply the Al Anon Steps, principles, and practices ourselves. And even the most dedicated sponsor cannot be available all the time. It is important to remember that a sponsor is only one of many voices in Al Anon. If help is not available in the first place we look, it is our responsibility to reach out to other members. Our needs are important. It is up to us to make sure that they are met.

A: This is our way of referring to the Addict or Alcoholic in our lives

AD: Alcoholic/Addict Daughter
AH: Alcoholic/Addict Husband
AS: Alcoholic/ Addict Son
ABF: Alcoholic / Addict Boyfriend
AW: Alcoholic/ Addict Wife
ASO: Alcoholic/Addict Significant Other
EX AH or EXBF Ex Alcoholic/Addict Husband or Boyfriend (or wife or girlfriend)
STBEXAH Soon to be Ex Alcoholic husband etc
RAH Recovering Addict Husband etc

CAL: This refers to Conference Approved Literature. There are many terrific books on recovery from a multitude of things, as well as many wonderful daily inspirations etc (please reference the book/reading lists at the top of the various forums for more information) . The CAL designation only matters if you are at an Al Anon meeting or conference. Within an Al Anon meeting, this is the only printed material that will be referenced. It includes the various pamphlets, daily readers such as One Day at A Time, Courage To Change - One Day at A Time in Al-Anon II, Hope for Today, Al Anon – How it works, The Dilemma of the Alcoholic Marriage, and more..
Old 07-24-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cat...Do you have a really long lay over???

Seriously this is wonderful...looks like stickie material to me...Thanks so much for putting it all together in a nice package! Hugs and safe journey...I know you will have a blast!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

S could also mean sister...
Old 07-24-2007, 09:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Question

What does JMHO mean?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

JMHO= Just my humble opinion
Old 07-24-2007, 11:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

What does OT mean?
I had thought that R as in RAH meant raging, I am glad there is not as much anger out there as I thought.
EXH = experience strength + hope
While asking quest. I haven't figured out out to put a quote in the response? Help please
Old 07-25-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

OT is off topic.

While asking quest. I haven't figured out out to put a quote in the response? Help please
To put quotes on, the easiest way for me is to use quick response. Copy and paste the section you want to quote. Then highlight it with your mouse and click on the last icon on the right above the "quick reply" area...the thing that looks like a little cartoon balloon for people talking. Or...if you are a non-mouse type of person, copy the area you want to quote and put [QUOTE] in front of and after that phrase.

Is that clear as mud? I'm not very good at explaining how to's