Members, Newcomers, Lurkers, and Friends...

Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

well by now you should be a non smoker. i hope last nite did not set you back. i am saying a prayer for you.it will be hard but you can do it.go to the stop smoking forum S.R. has.good luck, hope
Old 07-23-2007, 06:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Happy Day ONE!

Good luck. There are many others on here who have struggled with smoking and stopping and I'm sure they'll be along to share their stories.

I am sorry to hear about your drama, but I'm really impressed by your recovery - turning off the phone and not running to rescue him was a shining example of living in recovery.

Hugs
Cats
Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Book, best wishes as you move through life as a non-smoker. You have done your homework and you are ready.

DramaQueen, thanks for sharing the timeline of health rewards from quitting.
I quit smoking when I was still in college. I guess I was never really hooked on nicotine. At that time I was dating the man who became my husband. He was teaching health and physical education. He sent informative literature describing the hazards of smoking. I gave up cigarettes and reaped the health rewards. I am still married to the guy 39 years later.

Book, remain focused on your goal.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

good luck, im 41 and ive smoked since i was 20. ive tried to quit a million times, last time in feb, i used chantix then and it lasted about 60 days. ive had better luck with the patch and when i try again thats what ill use. i think all the times i tried i just really didnt want to. i want to want to, i just don't. thats addiction.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

linda,

just checking in - how did you do last nite???? - how is jason? - ok i hope...

one day at a time, one day at a time....

good luck...

love,
s
Old 07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

Day 1...

Just checkin' in with a thanks for all the support.

HappySoul- thanks alot. I get all my pics at photobucket.com
I am a picture postin' fool. lol

Dolly- I quit once before too. Lasted about 10 months.
Then one day my bil came to Pa., to visit. We were going to take him out to dinner.
As soon as he got into my house, he lit up. I got a smokeless ashtray out of a cabinet for him to use. After 1 draw, he says, oh are we leavin'. Out went the smoke. Almost whole, mind you. I snap the lid down, put it away. I thought about that d*mn thing for a week. Then...
Well, you know. Yep, I'm nasty. What can I say? lol
Thanks for the encouragement.

Tropix- thanks for the reminder. lol

Marle- I know what you mean, sweetie. That man/child will drive me nuts, if I let'em.
But I was determined and still goin' strong.
He and his dad went golfing yesterday. Golf outing-a reason to get sh*tfaced and act stupid. His dad dropped him off at his gf. (older gal, remember)She has her kids a couple days a week. When she left her hubby, (before jay came into the pic, i guess)she couldn't afford to take care of her girls. Whatever! So they stay with her a couple days a week and when they do, Jay stays with his dad.
Anyway, apparently his dad was gonna drive, yes drive around all night and drink. Idiot! Jay said drop me off at Lisa's. Dad did. Then went ditch diving with his brother's van. Uh, okay. Well, he calls Jay and says he doesn't know where he is and to come get him before 5-0 shows up. 5-0? ******!
Jay calls me cryin'. What if something happens to him. I should have stayed with him. Can you come and get me and take me to the hospital? My dad is driving me crazy.
Duh, Jay. Stop drinkin' and hangin' out with the menace to society.
Anyway, I text Jason when I got off work today and asked, "how r u? still wanna go to the hospital?"
His reply: "No. I just need to stay away from Mark (he said that instead of dad, he must be as tired of him as I was 15 years ago)as much as possible. He drives me insane. Everytime we drink bad sh*t happens".
Really? Your kidding?
"At 2:30 this morning, Jason, you told me you were gonna go find a new bf.
Just to get you on the same page as me, we're not friends. Don't ever think of me as your friend. That's what's wrong with you now. I'm your mother and if you ever scream and cuss at me like you did last night...no more contact. Got it"?
So, that is that. I have stopped smoking. My son is at his gf's, (new bf)and Mark (exah) is still an alcoholic after all these years.
Anyway, Marle, long story short...too late. lol
Don't let anything deter you. If your ready, just do it.
I can't do it alone, so I'm doin' the Nicoderm patch. Whenever I get the urge, I just give my arm a nice rub. lol Doesn't help.
love ya,

DQL- have printed out your timeline. it will be very helpful when i'm saying to myself...wtf? lol thanks and hugs to you.

Hope- I refused to let last night screw me up. I am at the "Determination Station" and plan on riding this train the whole way. For life. Thanks for the support and prayers. love to you.

Cat's- It never easy turning off that phone, I have to tell ya. It sucks the big one.
I have no choice. I have always been one to never let personal bs interfere with work. I had to work this morning. There was no way I was gonna get calls all night and be kept awake. Hubby would have been livid too.
I've worked 3 jobs my whole life. That's one thing I can say for myself. I take great pride in that. I don't call off sick. I don't show up late. I have to be forced to take vacations. Just always been that way. Don't know where it came from.
I know my kids didn't inherit that gene. lol
Thanks for the love. Back atcha.

Lake- 60 days? whaaa happened? lol
You had it beat, my man. Beat! Better luck next time. Keep tryin'.
Hugs,

itiswhatitis- see above. lol
your a sweetie, thanks.

Wish the 10 weeks were already over. I know we shouldn't wish our time away, but...
I find myself looking around like I forgot something. Then it hits me.
I forgot to smoke.

Hugs and support to all,
Linda
Old 07-23-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Linda, I am cheering for you girl. There's a quit smoking forum here
at SR with lots of helpful info and support. I like your Determination Station thinking. Hoooraayyy.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My prayers are with you!! I quit about 16 years ago, never regretted it. You will see that you will actually be able to taste your food!! I have had problems with asthma, but after ah and his butts moved out, and the house aired out, no more breathing trouble, no shortness of breath, either.
And if that's not incentive enough, ah's favorite saying is cigarettes are worse for him than that coke or crack......hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
Good luck Bookmiser!!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

(((Book)))
Great for day ONE!!!!!!!! One day at a time, right. You can do this!!!!
Terri
Old 07-23-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

((Linda))

Just popping in to cheer you on!! You can do this!!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Books, Sounds like Jason is really testing your willpower. I hope you don't let that interfere. Good luck, you can do it since you really want to.

Best of luck and hugs.............Lo
Old 07-23-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You can do it. You've made a first huge step by telling others. I quite about 8 years ago. I used the patch. I found I couldn't sleep with it, so I would have one all ready on my nightstand for the moring. I would put it on before my feet would touch the floor. Then do shower, hair makeup befroe I came downstairs. I sat in a different room than I was used to for my coffee. Since I associated cigs & coffee. Emptied & cleaned the car ashtray. Would have some fire balls & tootsie pops to help get through a craving. Went for walks, knited, sketched, kept my hands busy. Oh and brushed my teeth. The clean feeling would help.I also found that by the time your on step 3 you can just buy step one patches & cut them so you get more. You can so do this.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

How are you feeling by the way?? I'm really thinking about giving them up. I don't think I'll ever be completely ready so I have to start somewhere..........just like with the 4th step lol.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

Kris,

It's really not how I'm feeling now. It more about how I was feeling.
Like a slave. No joke.
Cigarettes, to me were such a habit and had such a hold over me.
I was starting to get physically ill everytime I lit up.
I would think, "why am I still doing this?"
After 30 years, I was smoking only about a pack a day.
Probably because I didn't smoke in my home. My husband has never smoked.
So I would go into the bathroom or outside.
I wish now that I'd never smoked in the bathroom. It's a trigger when I go in there now. I have to fight the urge and think about how much better I'll feel. Eventually. lol
The patch gives vivid dreams too, btw. You'll love it. lol
Yesterday wasn't too bad. Last night before bed, though, I thought about it alot.
So I ate twizzlers. You know, to make my mouth happy. lol
I don't put the patch on before I shower. I know it's all in my head, but I think that if it gets wet, it won't have the same amount of juice in it. lol
Silly, I know, but remember...I'm an addict to it.
Looking forward to going to work. lol
Tonight, hubby and I are gonna walk for an hour. Yippy! Not.
Btw, he kissed me last night. Alot! There are perks to this thing after all. lol
Talk atcha later.
Love,
Linda
Old 07-24-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Ohhhh, I'm sooooo envious. I've kinda set a date myself for Sept 1st. I say kinda, cause not sure if I'm gonna do it. I know I've felt such guilt over being a slave to this, not much different from my daughter's addiction really. Only I can do mine in public, although not so much anymore...lol.

Anyway, cheering you on my friend. Keep us posted!!
NSW

P.S. Just quit diet coke about 2 mos ago and that was much easier than I thought. After 1 day of terrible headaches, I had it licked, and I thought ....smoking might just be about that easy...lol. But scared to try it for some reason
Old 07-25-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((NSW))))))

Good for you.
I know what you mean about the no smoking in public.
That's another reason for me to quit.
I live in Ohio. No smoking within 30 feet of any public place.
You get caught? You get fined.
It was beginning to really bug me. lol
Nah. I'd just go outside and hope no one was watching. lol
That was how I began to feel. I didn't want people seeing me smoke.
It became embarrassing to me. I thought I was the only one in the world with this
nasty addiction.
I'm so glad I chose to stop on my own before the state forced me to.
Thanks for your support. Your gonna get it back come September.
Love to you,
Linda
Old 07-25-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It gets easier everyday. Deep Breathe when you have a craving. Never take another puff--say it to yourself over and over again. You can do this.

Each time I wanted a cig during my first two weeks, I would stop and throw my hands up in the air and yell "SUPERSTAR" (Mary-Katherine-Gallagher style) , yes, this is hilarious--and I would laugh, and feel good about myself--and it got me through the moment. There is also a book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", which was a tremendous help to me.

Good luck to you.

LALISIS - Free and Healing for Six Months, Eight Days, 20 Hours and 42 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 32 Days and 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9493 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,674.33.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

{LALISIS - Free and Healing for Six Months, Eight Days, 20 Hours and 42 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 32 Days and 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9493 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,674.33.}

Wow! That's amazing. I love that you've done a timeline on how long you've been free and healing. What a cool way to look at it. Plus the nicotine delivery devices had me crackin' up. Thanks for the laugh.
Kudos to you, my friend. Never change. lol