Memory Loss?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Memory Loss?

As most of you know, my sister has been out of rehab now for over a week. She has done amazingly well in her recovery; has not slipped yet and is so much more mature now than she was 6 weeks ago... it's almost like she's a different person.

Having said that...

Does anyone know if it is normal for her to have severe memory issues in recovery? My parents and her friend all tell me laughingly that she is terrible about remembering things these days, but I still have kinda a hard time not taking it personally when she "forgets" certain things, like the fact that we are supposed to be going to lunch again tomorrow and she has yet to call me to tell me what time to come... which wouldn't be a big deal, except that it's an hour and a half drive each way, so I kinda need to know...

I have always been really bad about being too sensitive and taking things too personally, but to me, if someone has tried to call me to set up plans, I will generally try to return their call, especially if it's something I'm wanting to do...

Then again, she was the one who suggested tomorrow, and she did so enthusiastically, so surely she doesn't mean to do this...

Sorry. Sometimes I find that just typing here helps me to think things through lol.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had trouble with remembering things early in my own recovery too. A counselor said it is not uncommon. called it a "brown out" and said the effects of addiction in our lives, the stress and pain can affect memory for a time.

It always helps me to be less sensitive and to stop over analyzing things when I think about focusing on what is my "stuff." Sometimes it gets amusing...I ask myself a zillion times a day...Greet is that really your stuff? No....then drop it, lol.

You'd like to have lunch...she either has a different personality than you and waits til the last minute or maybe she is just wrapped up in recovery or maybe she did forget... Perhaps instead of fretting about it, give her a call. Hugs
Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lady, My daughter has memory lapses also. I also have wondered about that. We both know that drugs do cause brain damage, so I'm thinking that part of this comes from the damage. I also think in my daughter's case she has been so dysfunctional for so long that it is going to take time to change all of these behaviors. Drug users are usually very irresponsible.......that comes with the addiction. It will take time for her to turn her old behaviors around..........give her time.
Enjoy your lunch with her.........you sound like a very supportive sister.

Hugs...........Lo
Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. She called right after I posted this lol... *opening mouth and inserting foot* of course, I think mom and her boyfriend had reminded her, but that's ok

Thanks for the support
Old 07-18-2007, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

greets post is on the right track to me...just call her.hugs,