how do i pay my lawyer

Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do i pay my lawyer

So i gave my lawyer a $5000.00 retainer on my credit card. I just got a bill for another $4500.00. How am i supposed to pay for it?? just keep putting it on my credit card??? I dont know what else to do....
Unless he waits for payment until we sell the rental house, but I dont know when that is going to sell.

I have no family members to borrow money from....

any suggestions....

this is just something else to worry about...sometimes i just want to give up.
It is all just too much to handle...I have a great lawyer, but I cant afford him. If I dont use him, then what options do I have? What happens to the FRO?? I guess I can call a womens group and maybe they would have some answers for me... I can try that today....
Old 07-17-2007, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

Well... the credit cards are in both names, eh? So perhaps if the court splits the bills, this will only be HALF yours to deal with?

I vote with putting it on the card... or else figuring out how to use one of those Do It Yourself Divorce books. That is what I did - and I am NOT seriously suggesting it to you... not when you are up against a lawyer, and have little kids in the picture.

You've heard the suggestions before, time for a part time job to help support yourself. Supporting yourself IS where his addiction will likely take you - whether you continue in the marriage, or not.

What I had/have to remember is to not compare today against WHAT MIGHT BE, but to compare today against REALITY....

* He "might" magically get sober and your life will continue on in bliss and happiness.

* He likely will continue in his addiction and get worse and worse over time, dragging down with him every one who comes in contact with him.

PS - you might read some of the other threads here at SR and see if you have something to which you can respond... you may feel a bit more connected and less alone in this thing. You have already been through some "stuff" and have experience to offer others here. I found doing that helped ease MY pain a little.

((hugs))
Old 07-17-2007, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you have it written in your papers that he is responsible for your lawyer fees? I guess I would do the credit card also. Is the rental house listed with a realtor, I would stay on top of that.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

Drained - Been there done that. I had to magically produce $20,000 for my divorce. He even petitioned the court to have me pay his attorney fees also.

My suggestion is to talk to your attorney, ask him if he is willing to wait for his payment, if not, then put it on the CC. Maybe he can petition the court for your husband to be responsible for those costs. Either way, your attorney will have the best suggestions for you there.

B
Old 07-17-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

If the rental house is paid for and has no mortgage, ask him to put a lien against it. When it sells he will be paid. Fact is, having a lien on it may put it in a court ordered sale.. and that may be what has to happen if AH is living there.

The mortgage holder is usually the first lien holder against a property. Beyond paying the mortgage, any sale profit (more than what you paid initially for it less improvements) is taxed as a capital gain because it is not your primary residence. If you have enough equity in the rental house, that may be how the lawyer gets paid.

How is the deed for that house written? Both your names on it? Maybe you could sign over your 1/2 interest depending on how you hold title. Tenants by entirety is the common way a hsuband and wife own property and in taht case neither can dispose of their interest except thru joint action. This ownership means that death of one person the title passes automatically to the other person. However, not all joint ownerships, even between husband and wife, are indisposable by an individual. Some of those holdings allow one person to sell their part interest to someone else.. of course, this means the new title holder would be holding it with your AH... so you may not get as much $$ for it if you can sell or transfer your interest.

Just a thought.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i agree with frankly, talk to your attorney he may be willing to let you make payments om your balance until something changes.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
President

Sometimes you can barder (barter??? can't spell it). You provide a service and they reduce/cancel out the money owed. My lawyer friend will often defend clients for free in exchange for work done around the house. I know xabf distributed flyers in exchange for his bill and got signatures for petitions. I got my lawyer at a reduced price because he was a friend of a friend, and in agreement to distribute his business cards. Ask him if there's any possible way to do any of those!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jen

Luckily, my attorney allows me to make monthly payments. Maybe this is an option for you. I know, I know.........it's a ton of $$ but as the others posted, ask your atty to have your spouse be responsible for 1/2 the atty fees.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Jen
Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Talk to your lawyer, he's likely had this come up before and its common to petition the other spouse to pay attorneys fees after matter is final, especially if there's a big fight.

My boss on occasion does pro bono work for special credits, however its additional and I do from home, therefore the pro bono client is requested to provide a service to me. Ive had yard work done, house cleaned and even restaurant coupons from the clients
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

no time to read others replies.......but if he makes more money than you ........your lawyer can ask that he pays your fees...........but I think that usually happens at the end of things..............ask Cinder she knows better
Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Call your lawyer and ask if you can make payments. Most will let you, also ask if you file for divorce if he can ask that your husband pay for your legal fees you might get it from the judge. If not it could come out of your settlement. I would not put it on my CC since you might need that for something important down the line later.
Good luck
Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

My ex and I decided to make the agreements ourselves. We had to because we have no money! It worked out perfectly.
I once heard a TV judge say, if you two can't figure out together how you will divide your money, then the lawyers will get it all!