Emotions Anonymous

Old 07-16-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Emotions Anonymous

(I was surfing the net today and ran across EMOTIONS ANONYMOUS I cracked up when I saw their name) as I had never heard of them and thought it was a joke. But nope .. its the real deal... If your interested in learning more about them or locating a meeting in your area .. you can google them and look one up .. I'm all for it!

Their program has been known to work miracles in the lives of many who suffer from problems as diverse as depression, anger, broken or strained relationships, grief, anxiety, low self-esteem, panic, abnormal fears, resentment, jealousy, guilt, despair, fatigue, tension, boredom, loneliness, withdrawal, obsessive and negative thinking, worry, compulsive behavior and a variety of other emotional issues.

As an anonymous program, EA respects the confidentiality of its members at all times. As a spiritual program, there is an emphasis on a higher power. Experience has shown the EA program works equally well for those with or without religious beliefs or affiliations.

EA provides a warm and accepting group setting in which to share experiences without fear of criticism. Through weekly support meetings, members discover they are not alone in their struggles. We may each have different symptoms, but the underlying emotions are the same or similar.

Their program was founded in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1971. As of 2007 there are over 1000 EA chapters in 35 countries, including the United States. Emotions Anonymous is supported and maintained by member contributions and each member and group is encTheiraged to share in the financial support of Emotions Anonymous.

About Their Meetings: EA is not a medical or psychiatric service, nor does it provide personal or family counseling. Leadership of group meetings rotates and is non-professional. The leader's function is simply to conduct the meeting, not to serve as an authority. Their meetings are structured to assist individuals who want to achieve and maintain emotional health by understanding and utilizing the Twelve Steps of Emotions Anonymous in their daily lives.

Their program has been known to work miracles in the lives of many who suffer from problems as diverse as depression, anger, broken or strained relationships, grief, anxiety, low self-esteem, panic, abnormal fears, resentment, jealousy, guilt, despair, fatigue, tension, boredom, loneliness, withdrawal, obsessive and negative thinking, worry, compulsive behavior and a variety of other emotional issues.

As an anonymous program, EA respects the confidentiality of its members at all times. As a spiritual program, there is an emphasis on a higher power. Experience has shown the EA program works equally well for those with or without religious beliefs or affiliations.

EA provides a warm and accepting group setting in which to share experiences without fear of criticism. Through weekly support meetings, members discover they are not alone in their struggles. We may each have different symptoms, but the underlying emotions are the same or similar.

The program was founded in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1971. As of 2007 there are over 1000 EA chapters in 35 countries, including the United States. Emotions Anonymous is supported and maintained by member contributions and each member and group is encTheiraged to share in the financial support of Emotions Anonymous.

About Their Meetings: EA is not a medical or psychiatric service, nor does it provide personal or family counseling. Leadership of group meetings rotates and is non-professional. The leader's function is simply to conduct the meeting, not to serve as an authority. Their meetings are structured to assist individuals who want to achieve and maintain emotional health by understanding and utilizing the Twelve Steps of Emotions Anonymous in their daily lives.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm in EA

It is kind of unfortunate that people think EA is a big joke -- it happens a lot. There's also some good information about EA on wikipedia (I can't post the link to it, but just google for: wikipedia Emotions Anonymous).

Anyway, I'm in the EA program. It seemed like I had a lot of the same problems that Addicts/Alcoholics and their friends/family had, except there was probably only 5% of it that I could trace back to drugs or other people I know using drugs. It was mostly about me being depressed. When I get depressed, everything goes wrong. I don't drink or use because of it, I just avoid people, responsibilities, etc, until things get really bad. I very frequently get suicidal. I also realized that I tried to keep my depression secret like addicts might do about using, and related problems.

It was the same growing up. My parents didn't get drunk and hit me, they just hit me. I think being heavy fundamentalists was part of all of that. And I definitely also have Co-Dependent problems from growing up in my household, and I should probably be going to CoDA meetings too.

But, I decided that EA might be a good program for me. So far it has been, though I have my complaints. But I think it's like Gandhi said -- be the change you want to see in the world. So, I'm trying to be the change I want to see in EA.

There also some EA literature in blog form here, google for: Emotions Anonymous justfortodays
Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a pretty cool thing. I know there are a lot of people out there who suffer from emotional turmoil without being able to control it.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I surely wish there were such a thing where I live, not even close within 50 miles. I would love it too.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

I think EA is a bomb idea! I didn't know it existed until today
Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did not know either... very neat