Update on our son

Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Update on our son

This is Momma D. Much has happened over the past 4 days. Our son came home on July 4th, angry and not wanting much to do with any of us. After many hours of talking, he decided he needed to leave to think. He packed his bags and left. Before he left, I told him he was not allowed in our house while we were gone (we had planned to spend the entire week at our cottage). Everyone left, but I stayed back for some alone time and to try to get a little sleep. Thinking we were all gone, he tried to break in and actually was successful by breaking a basement window. I called the police and he was arrested. We signed a 72 hour no contact order so he was unable to contact us to bail him out. He did contact everyone else he knows, but noone bailed him out. After spending 3 days in jail, he was arraigned and because of what I said about him to the police about his drug habit, 1 of his conditions of release was to not be in possession of any drug (without a valid prescription) or alcohol. He finally came home last nite- still angry and not believing that we loved him or we wouldn't have let him sit in jail for 3 days. We did a lot of talking and he says he NEVER wants to go back to jail so that is enough to keep him off of drugs. I know he still needs help with his addiction, but it may come in the form of a court order when he finally goes to court. We are going to contact the DA today and see if he starts rehab now if that will help when it comes time to the court date (this is his request). He says he wants to move on with a drug free life, but I'm armed with enough research and information to know it will be very difficult without some professional help and support. He is allowed in our house only drug free. We did a test last night and the test was negative for opiates, but not completely for the THC (which I know stays in your system longer) As long as he is here, we will continue with the random drug tests. I hope and pray he is on the right track for a clean and sober life. I do know that as much as we want to, we can't make him better, but we will be here to support, encourage and love him in his efforts. Thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement, suggestions and hope we have received from this forum. You are all truly wonderful people. We will keep posting and praying with everyone here.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

he needs to make the calls to get into rehab...

sorry you had such a stressful time, addiction is very chaotic.

you going to alanon?

blessings, k
Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Your story reminds me so much of how it was with me and my son too, and my heart and prayers go out for you both.

Parent is right, he is the one who should be making the calls to rehab. Most rehabs insist on that. I helped my son find the places and phone numbers as he has a reading disability, but he knew how to dial a phone and I let him.

It's hard going through this, and I know meetings literally saved my life. Try some if you can, I promise you they are worth it.

Hugs
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

prayers to you and as

my as is 20 and your story sounds as if hes living at your house. same things, the things addicts do. my son broke in too, my son went to jail too. right now hes in an oxford house, only two weeks though , so we will just wait and see. the only reason he agreed to go is because i wouldnt bail him out of his second charge without him going. so well see, im not expecting a lot. im always hopeful as i know people recover everyday, i have learned not to get too hopeful.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Prayers that he follows through and this is the beginning of brighter days.
He may want to call a few places and get on a list for a bed. It took my son four weeks to get in one that had a county bed available.
It was a long wait at the time, but worth it in the long run.
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

*hugs and prayers your way*
Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i hope this is the beginning of the end of drugs. i will agree with the others, let him make the call.my prayers are with you all.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

The more he does on his own the better his chances of recovery so remember that one...(((((((((BIGHUGS))))))))) to you and your family....
Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing all of the right things for you and him. I hope this is his time. I agree with you for having him arrested for breaking in.......I would do the same thing. They have to get it that that kind of behavior is just not okay.
Keep up your good work.

Blessings on you and your family...........Lo