Freedom is participation in power

Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Freedom is participation in power

As we celebrate this Independence Day, remember how blessed we are to live in a country that is one of the world leaders in terms of our health, education and ability to make a difference.

If we wish to preserve our freedoms and if we see room for improvement, it is all up to us, the people, to be active citizens.

Every movement for change has started at a grassroots level. Look at the civil rights movement, women's suffrage, labor unions, etc. These people faced impossible resistence, but they preservered.

There is a book that has been highly recommended to me that I am going to get and read when my school semster is over this summer.
It is called "Civics for Democracy: a Journey for Teachers and Students." by Katherine Isaac. It explains how people can make changes in their governments and it does it in a way that is not dry and boring (that's what I have been told). It outlines how people have done it in the past and how they can again.

Here is a part of a review:

["Techniques for Participation," comprises the third section of Civics for Democracy. Here Ms. Isaac encourages students to become active citizens by first thinking and acting on a small-scale level. She offers logical and practical instruction on how to write a press release and start citizen groups. A segment entitled "Background Research" makes suggestions for using alternative press and television indexes, data bases, and documents of the Federal Governments.

Ms. Isaac has succeeded in writing a textbook that challenges both teachers and students to actively accept the responsibilities of citizenship.]

There are things people can do. People have done incredible things in the past. We still can.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
-Margaret Mead

Ok, I'll get off the soapbox now, Happy 4th!!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Raerae..

Yes we are so truly blessed to live in such a wonderful country.
God Bless America.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I walked to my car one evening from a man who works in the same Agency as I. This man was obviously not born here (I believe he was Hindu).

It was near election time and he was absolutely aghast that election day everyone was not rallying in the streets and voting. He could not understand the apathy of Americans.. and he was really upset. He said in his country they would give anything to be able to vote.. to have choices and the freedom to choose.

I was happy I could tell him I had voted in every election since I got the OK to when I turned 18.. back in.. OMGosh.. WAY Back the first yoer they lowered the voting age from 21 to 18.....
Old 07-04-2007, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah! I always vote! I know that not everyone on here is female, but it is important to remember that only less than 87 years ago females could not vote! We take freedom for granted in this country, but we shouldn't!! There are so so so many countries where there is NO freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of expression.
Let freedom ring, my fellow Americans!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tropikgal2 View Post
only less than 87 years ago females could not vote!

that is the main reason i make sure i vote in every election!! Happy 4th everyone.