Language of Letting Go - July 3

Old 07-03-2007, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - July 3

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Directness

So much of our communication can reflect our need to control. We say what we think others want to hear. We try to keep others from getting angry, feeling afraid, going away, or disliking us. But our need to control traps us into feeling like victims and martyrs.

Freedom is just a few words away. Those words are our truths. We can say what we need to say. We can gently, but assertively, speak our mind.

Let go of your need to control. We do not need to be judgmental, tactless, blaming, or cruel when we speak our truths. Neither do we need to hide our light. Let go, and freely be who you are.

Today, I will be honest with others, and myself knowing that if I don't, my truth will come out some other way.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann.
I REALLY needed this today.
I am beginning to realize that so many of boundaries are crossed because I do not speak my mind directly. I do not say what I mean, nor do I mean what I say.

I have been so afraid of abf lashing out on me, not loving me, and so on and so on that I have always bent my truth instead of steadfastly sticking to it and saying, "this is how i feel. deal with it."

The longer we silence our voices the more difficult it becomes to find them again.
Thanks for reminding me that my first commitment is to myself and to honor who I am, regardless of the cost.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by HKAngel24 View Post
Thanks Ann.
I REALLY needed this today.
I am beginning to realize that so many of boundaries are crossed because I do not speak my mind directly. I do not say what I mean, nor do I mean what I say.
Our friend here, Hangin' In, puts it well when she says...."Say what you mean, and mean what you say..just don't say it mean."

I'm learning that the clearer I am when I communicate, the less room there is for "misunderstanding".

Hugs