I am so frustrated right now...

Old 06-28-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry I am so frustrated right now...

I know I mentioned this briefly in a post earlier, but I feel a severe need to vent about it, so please bare with me...

Here's the complete update on the house...

Wednesday afternoon, my agent called me and told me that the seller's agent told him that the electricity was on and that the water would be on first thing in the morning, that she would go over there herself first thing to make sure it was taken care of.

So, we called and scheduled our inspection for 1 pm the next day.

One pm Thursday comes. Everyone (me, my husband, my parents who wanted to see the house, hubby's mom who also wanted to see it, and our agent) shows up to the house to discover that no utilities are cut on STILL. The inspector pulls into the driveway a few minutes later. My dad goes around to the side of the house to make sure it's not just that the power box needs to be turned on, and we discover there is NO METER! Just a piece of cardboard in its place!

Well, our inspector is going out of town for the weekend. Not that I blame her, I am glad she will enjoy her trip, but this means the soonest we can get the darn thing done is next Wednesday! We are supposed to close on the 13th of July... and now the inspection won't be done until the 3rd?!? We're almost definitely going to have to push it back if anything is found that needs to be fixed

Furthermore, I don't understand why this agent is lying to me and my agent about this stuff. Her lame excuse was that the seller contacted the WRONG POWER COMPANY and that THEY DID NOT TELL HIM IT WAS THE WRONG COMPANY; rather, they supposedly just smiled and took the order! What a load of b*&% s#@%! First of all, the companies will tell you if your property is not in their computer. Secondly, he owned the house long enough to renovate it, and he wants to tell me he didn't know which power company he was using? Please...

And my dad, who has decades of experience in construction, home improvement, etc, pointed out that there are no smoke detectors in the garage. In GA, this is a violation of code, according to him. What if the seller refuses to pay to replace the smoke detectors? We won't be able to close if the house isn't up to code, right? Surely he's not likely to refuse to get the house up to code, is he?

*sigh* I just need someone to tell me it'll be okay!

Sorry... had to get it out.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will be okay. Really. Might ask the broker about a drop in commision, tho'? LOL
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I'm already determined that the seller's agent will be paying for the inspector's extra trip fee. And as soon as we close, she is getting a nasty complaint sent to her broker, as this is not the first wrinkle she has caused. She rescheduled the appraisal twice in one day, and then when the appraiser got there and she wasn't, she told him to use a credit card to break into the house! He refused, and she kept him waiting a whole hour beyond that phone call! Inexcusable, considering he bent over backwards to meet with her when she wanted to.

Kinda sad that she's getting paid to do nothing, and she's doing a poor job of that too.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tell the broker!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It'll be ok. If this house takes a while to be up to code, then its a worthwhile wait to have a safe house.
I have a friend who's in the mortgage business and she has horror stories to tell. Often the seller is desperate and broke, and while they need to sell, they don't have the $$ to get needed things done.
So, I guess my point is that you are not alone...hope things start moving along for you.
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 06-29-2007, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I called the power company today and found out that there is STILL no work order to turn on the power at the house. I called my agent and told him that if it's not taken care of, that Matt and I cannot afford to sit around and wait because if the house does not close we will be homeless (we can't go month to month on the apartment because she's already rented it to someone). I further told him that we would have to pull out of the deal, and that if we had to pull out that I was quite confident that someone else would want our money if this seller does not.

My heart is breaking because I was getting so attached to the idea of that house. But if it's not inhabitable (ie it does not match code) I guess there's nothing I can do but protect myself and my husband.

My mom said that I should threaten to sue everyone involved if things are not taken care of... because the house was misrepresented. It never should have been on the market if it's not liveable. There's no mortgage company in the country that will make a loan on something where they can't ensure that there is homeowner's insurance. Plus, I don't think it would be a good idea to live somewhere not up to code, since those codes are in place for a reason.

I'm getting more and more frustrated because the agent hasn't called back yet. I know it's only been an hour, but this is such a big deal to me...

This makes me want to eat everything in sight! Ugh...
Old 06-29-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

live is so right, tell your agent that things just aren't acceptable, that there should be a decrease in commission, whats the saying, money talks and bull---- walks. hit them where it hurts them most. If the seller wants you to pay, fine then the price of the house should be less.

good luck and don't fret so much, its a house, I'm sure you've been through worse.
that which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the biggest problem is that we will have nowhere to go if this doesn't go through, unless we happen to find something else that will close just as quickly. Time is ticking, and these people are stalling as long as possible. We have to be out of our apartment in one month, and as far as I'm concerned, we have nothing lined up at the moment, unless the seller wakes up and decides to cooperate.

I don't mean to be so overly emotional... I know there are other houses out there and it will be okay one way or another... I just get so tired of being jerked around.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

If it were me.. and I have bought and sold a LOT of property, I would find another apratment and pull out of the deal TODAY. Do not pursue this house. You are being lied to and led straight down the proverbial garden path.. and the thing at the end of that path ain't no bed of roses.

This house has a LOT wrong with it.. and there is something else in this that they are not telling you if the Meter has been removed. That is not normal. It will not be inhabitable by July 13th.. probably not by July 31st.. maybe not before September! This house sounds like a Forecolosure.

You have to believe me on this.. there is a reason for all this too. There is likely a BETTER house waiting for you.

The absolutely WORSE thing you can do is to put yourself in a "must buy" situation in Real Estate. They got you and they know it. WALK AWAY is my advice.

It is a structure. You have learned something.. you know you want to be a home owner and not a renter. After you find a palce to live, go out and look for a house when there is no pressure to buy today.

I would bet a lot more is wrong with this house you are looking at that a meter and smoke detectors.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree that there are more things wrong with this house than you can see. They are stalling for a reason, and it isn't good. Find a place that will rent to you month to month and start looking again. Can you stay with family for a short period of time and put your things in storage? Even if it is for a month you could help them with food etc while you are there and you won't be a rushed to get everything done.
I will say a prayer that your HP will lead you to the right house. You are having problems with this one for a reason, only your HP knows why at this point.
It might cost you another 20,000 to fix it, and I'm sure you weren't planning on that.
Good luck,
Hugs and prayers coming to you
Old 06-29-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In my experience, power on work orders are one thing, work orders to install a meter, is a whole nother. If it has no meter, there is a reason.
Im attempting to sell a fixer upper house (course not gone happen this time of year in Florida) electrical isnt up to new codes, but would pass an inspection as it still is not a danger. Here, the only reason to remove the meter, would be if they are ripping all inner wires out, including main wires to house and to inside, and they didnt even do that at my place when half were replaced after the hurricanes. So what Im getting at, is since he's dont this remodel and likely electrical work, its NEVER been tested or even hooked up.

On a side note, smoke detectors, while a violation and requirement especially in a rental, will not stop you from getting insurance. When an insurance adjustor does a walk through, they usually just make a note that you have 30 days to install a $12 smoke detector.

I think, you do need to be ready to go elsewhere, it sounds like the remodel work was never finished
Old 06-29-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My agent just called me. He said that the electricity will be on in time for the inspection (Wednesday morning) if he has to find a way to do it himself. Here's my game plan...

I will try to not stress it this weekend, as there is nothing else I can really do at the moment.

Monday afternoon at 3:00, if the work order has not been put in for Tuesday yet, I will got pay the seller's agent's broker a visit. If that does not work, then by Wednesday we will pull out.

Furthermore, if the seller is not willing to do what it takes to get the problems up to code, Dad said we could contact the govt authority in charge of building permits and have them send an inspector out so that they will not be able to continue the sale on the house until everything is fixed (I would hate to see someone else get stuck in our position)...

The power company did say that when the work order is put in to turn on the power, a new meter will be put in during the same trip. At least that makes me feel like we may be able to get the inspection done...

If the only things wrong are the smoke detectors and a dangling box in the garage, I wonder how much it would cost to fix?

I told the inspector what was going on, and her theory is that the seller let the utility bills get behind and is trying to stall on having them updated b/c he's short on cash...She said that sometimes the electric company will do that. Maybe she's right, and that's all there is to it (hopefully)

I am definitely prepared to pull out next week if all does not go well. My agent knows it, and if the seller's doesn't know it yet, they will soon
Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

IMHO, he should be marlketing the house as unfinished, or As IS.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

right... and he is not. If we had known the house was not up to code, we would not have made an offer in the first place.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Lady,

Here's my 2 cents worth. There's more to this story than you're seeing. Too much deceitfulness going on. Gut feeling is seller got in financial bind and he has no $ to spend on getting the house up to par. Meter removed? He got behind in payments.

You know, I'm with Anvil on this one. Could this be your HP telling this just might not be the house for you? I know that in the past (before I started working recovery and the 12 steps), I tried to force things and they always turned out to be a disaster.

Sure you want a house, but when so many things are not going right, it could just be a sign that this is not the house for you. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it's just my gut feeling.

If it were me, I'd step back, pray about it and ask my HP to show me what is right. And then I'd pay attention. (Oh, and that's where I've gone wrong in the past. Asked HP for help and then didn't listen to his guiding....ole self will run riot, me wanting what I want when I'm being led in another direction by my HP. Has ALWAYS turned out a disaster.)

I know you don't have another game plan at this minute, but there are other places to live even if you don't know where that is right now. If you don't feel 100% good about this place, then I'd say "no deal". As I've always told my girls...."When in doubt...........DON'T!"

As always, take what you like and leave the rest as far as my 2 cents. Probably worth just about that...

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 06-30-2007, 09:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hangin' In...

Something else my husband pointed out, though, is that the language of our contract does not specify how much time he has to turn on the power, just that from the date he does, we have seven days to do an inspection and three to negotiate repairs. So, my question would be, if we back out before the closing date because he didn't turn on the power, are we in default, or is he?

My thinking is that since it's supposed to close on the 13th, if the power is not on by the 3rd then he should be in default, as there is no way we could have our contract allotted time to complete everything, which would put us at being able to back out at the end of business on Tuesday.

Husband is afraid we'd be sued if we back out before closing date, but closing date would only give us two weeks to make other arrangements, so I really don't want to wait that long.

Thanks for your advice, and I really hope you don't mind.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, we put down 500 bucks and the check has already been cashed.

Thank you so much for your advice with this! I know this is not exactly related to me recovering from anything in particular, but being able to talk this through is actually helping me to remain calm which is helping me to not binge as much... thank you so much for your help.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
President

I would spend the next couple of days (that you would spend fuming and worrying about this transactions) looking at other houses. Ya never know! Maybe this is HP's way of telling you that there's a much better house out there for you! Just a thought!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

very true... b/c even if we have to wait until the 13th to withdraw from the transaction, two weeks is still enough time to close on a house that is vacant and in good shape, right?
Old 06-30-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
President

Exactly, and at least you would be ahead of the game and already know what you want to do!