SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   CATskill (OT) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/126870-catskill-ot.html)

Elana 06-23-2007 05:30 PM

CATskill (OT)

1 Attachment(s)
With the impetus from Dolly's thread (Happy happy Happy!) Atka and I went to Catskill and took photos of the Cats that have been installed along main Street. Each cat has a "sponsor" and I believe they are for sale (very expensive), but I don't know.

If you are in the area this summer you might want to take a walk down Main Street in CATskill, NY

This first one has rip van Winkle on his back..(Rip Van Cat?)

Elana 06-23-2007 05:32 PM

Of course.. for everyone here....

1 Attachment(s)
Because we ROCK on SR, here is Sophisitcat.....

And WE are so Sophisticated are we not!?

Elana 06-23-2007 05:35 PM

Cat of a Different Color

1 Attachment(s)
This is a cat who is really showing off his stripes!

It was a beautiful day out there and after we took photos of every cat, Atka and I walked over the Bridge and I bought her a child's Vanilla Ice Cream Cone. She was completely focused on this and I believe that if a bomb had gond off next to her, she would have ignored it!

marle 06-23-2007 05:41 PM

Sounds like a great day. I took my little Petey for a walk too. Usually he is pretty timid but today he really was a brave guy. How is it feeling to be a dog owner again. I bet pretty good:) Hugs, Marle

Elana 06-24-2007 03:52 AM

Being a dog owner has its pluses (she goes with me and can keep up!). I have missed having a dog and one that behaves as well as Atka does is a joy. I enjoy the training too.

However, a dog is way more responsibility that cats.. and Dogs follow different house rules (in my house) than the cats. No Dogs in the bedroom, bathroom or kitchen, No Dogs on the Furniture and Dogs must sleep in their crate (or bed) at night. Cats have rules too, but their rules are not a strict.

I really like this dog. She is serious and works well, but will play when it is appropriate.

She has learned her location in the "pack" as well. Cats first, then me.... :D

The cats laid down the law from day One, tho the kitten, Oliver, and she, get along well. Both are young and I keep my eye on them in caseeither gets too rough!

I like dogs and cats a lot. They are different for sure.

barb dwyer 06-24-2007 04:02 AM

A month ago I had one cat.
today, I have two.
Littermates.
one is a manx.

I don't know what I'd do without 'em.

I loved this project.
the one we had here in butte was cows.
which was dumb.
butte was never a cattle town.
it's a mining town.

they do an ice sculpture thing every winter, though.
that's really nice.
thanks for the pix!

dollydo 06-24-2007 04:10 AM

Great photo's (as usual)....are these cats made of paper mache?

Elana 06-24-2007 04:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is paper mache on them.. on some of them.. but I think the base cat is fiberglass and the paper Mache is applied over it.. as there are two base cats. One sitting and one standing.. and all are the same. The surfaces are different. Here is one that is beads.....

Elana 06-24-2007 04:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And some appeared to be painted and coated with weather proof clear coat.

dollydo 06-24-2007 04:33 AM

Yes, they would have to clear coat them o the UV rays would fade them. Reason I asked was I have done alot of things with paper mache, like make a flamingo, it was fun.

I am a miniaturist, and have learned to make many things out of paper & cardboard, even built a dollhouse out of a carboard process one time...everyone thought I had used wood until they picked it up, weighed nothing. I use to teach classes at local
retirement homes, cardboard was easier and lighter for the elderly to work with and we didn't need any tools, just our hands...it was amazing how crafty these people were.

patchoulli 06-24-2007 06:12 AM

I love sophisticat. thanx elana

Elana 06-24-2007 06:47 AM

I have never used paper Mache. I would love to learn tho. The thing I am wondering is yhow they got every cat to be exactly the same (a molding process I am sure) if it is Paper Mache.

I have done sculpture is Plaster and in stone and wood. Wood fights you in most directions... the results from Stone I like the best and plaster is.. well cheap? Tho I have seen plaster sculptures sell for upwards of $1,000.. I guess I don't like to put all the effort and time into a medium that is easily destroyed.. like plaster.

marteen 06-24-2007 06:52 AM

Those are so wonderful! Would love to have a couple of them but I bet they are very expensive.

I have a 20 lb. Maine Coon cat - his truly is a gentle giant. Best-natured cat I have ever had. Would get another one in a heartbeat.