Not In A Good Place.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Not In A Good Place.

Ive been sitting here trying to find a way to start a thread with out someone thinking Im off my rocker or just plain stupid. So Im just gonna lay it out here.
Ive been under alot of stress lately and I sometimes think Im losing my mind. I do fine during the day mostly as I have plenty to keep me busy. I cant stand a moment of down time. I hate it. I was left to my self thye other day for a few hours and just hated it.

Well the last couple of weeks, I havent been able to sleep at night except a few hours here and there. I have a 2yo son who wake frequently at night and I refuse to take sleeping pills as I may not here him if he needs me, or really I hate taking them because it makes me so drug down the next day. Also when I have bad dreams at night I cant wake up from them.

At night my family is usually in bed by 10:30 and 11pm here. I never can go to sleep before 3 or 4 am. That gives me 4-5 hours of total quiet and aloness. I have tried to use that time to either pray or meditate hoping for a sense of peace or calmness. I cant find it. I will hear voices in my head, laughter, music, or other stuff. I cant take it anymore. I think Im losing it. I dont know what to say for myself. I will sit on the couch and stare into the darkness waiting for what I dont know. Its not paranoia, just staring off into the dark.

I really dont want to post this, but am wanting someones input. I cant go to the doctor either as I have no insurance. And there is no free clinics in my area either. Please, someone, tell me they do this too.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
President

Can you spend that time doing other things??? Reading a book, watching TV, writing, working on the computer, cleaning, whatever???? It sounds like you may not be able to fall asleep in conventional terms, but almost like your brain is shutting off a bit and taking a rest. JMHO!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read alot during this time to get my mind somewhere else also hoping it will make me sleepy. I dont like watching tv very much. My house is really pretty clean short of using a toothbrush to clean grout in my bathroom. I dont move around the house to much as I dont want to wake up anyone inmy house. Paul is a light sleeper too and knows when I get out of bed. My kids will hear me too. Plus I am a reocevering meth addict and even though I am clean and have been for a year and a half, I dont want to give the wrong impression to my family.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rozied

Dear Gwen, I am so sorry you are having these problems. Sometimes when there is nothing to occupy our minds it plays tricks on us. I don't know whats causing you to hear these things in your mind....................maybe as the last post said if you should watch tv or listen to music etc etc then it might not happen. I really don't think your losing it as you function well the rest of the time.
I sure hope you feel better,
Diane
Old 06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well sounds like an over active brain. Just because your sitting there with no stimuli for your brain to process does not mean it is still not processing. It could be due to pyschiatric issues maybe something is going on but I doubt it. YOu sound like your just staring into nothingness and your mind is just kinda working to entertain itself. I think to change this you have to stop staring at things...stop turning off the lights and sitting as that would drive me insane...play a game, watch tv anyway...something light and funny, good for the soul...I have had a few problems with sleeping but not much I generallay lay down and I am asleep in less than 5 minutes. The human brain is a amazing and hard to understand organ. What you see as crazy and abnormal I see as of course your hear things...hell I would too i am sure...its ok but stop sitting in the dark for that cannot be good for you...almost sensory deprovation if not worse...I once thought I needed glasses caused my vision was not perfectly crisp. I concentrated on it for so long my eyes truly bugged me and felt terrible. I went to Opt. and he said I had 20/30 vision. He insisted that i did not need glasses but my mind was driving me crazy so I needed them to make my eyes feel better. Well I got them, they were perfect, everything was perfectly crisp no haze around edges or nothing...that lasted for about a month and both my mind and my eyes could care less. I beleive I caused my on problem concentrating on it perhaps you are too..take care Gwen.

Last edited by Noah812; 06-19-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Gwen, That does not happen to me often but I have had similar experiences. It is like I am in a light sleep but I hear voices that sound crazy in my head. Another thing that happened to me about 3 years ago was when I would start to fall asleep, I would jerk myself awake because I felt like I was dying. I would lie awake and have the most awful feeling like I wanted to jump out of my skin and run away. I now realize that what I was feeling was most likely anxiety. My daugher had just turned 18, had broken up with a boyfriend and was starting to go to woods parties. I did not acknowledge my fears openly so they took a toll on my sleeping. I hope that you find an answer to what is troubling you. I think the number one problem in our nation is sleep problems so just know that you are not alone and you are not crazy. One other thing you might investigate is PAWS. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

GwenMarie, Night is the worst time....when your mind won't be quiet and your thoughts just race away like a runaway train, demons are conjured and unwanted scenarios abound. I'm not all for pills, running off to the doctor etc. especially in your case you have to be careful what you take. However, have you gone to the health food store and tried some natural remedy like Valerian root or Chamomile or Meletonin? SInce you have been clean for a long time your body might be more receptive now to natural cures. You also might be experiencing PAWS(post-acute withdrawal symptoms), although i didn't think it could occur so long after being clean. You might do a Google search on it. Have you gone over to one of the other boards to see if others in your stage of sobriety have gone through a similar thing?
Another thing, try cutting out caffeine, chocolate, or anything else that might make you jittery or äwake. Do you exercise regularly? And I mean at least 4 times a week of 30-45 minute aerobic activity (brisk walking is great). There's nothing like exercise to help with a a regular sleep pattern.
I hope you work this out. My feeling is that it won't last forever, you're just going through a rough spell.
Hugs & peace
Sandy
Old 06-19-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

I can relate. I go through this all the time. I can't sleep. My brain never shuts down. I'm too tired to get up and do anything, yet not tired enough to go to sleep. I do get on the computer and play games. Sometimes that relaxes me enough and I start to get tired. You have had a lot going on lately. It doesn't suprise me this is happening to you. Sometimes talking about what goes through your head helps. It releases it sort of. Noah should know..........he has had to watch me up at all hours......and so very tired the next day. I'm sorry I don't have much advice to offer, but if you figure it out.........PLEASE let me know.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I found something made by "Bach Flower Remedies" called: "rescue sleep" it is in a small spray bottle. I think I paid about $6.00 for it at a health food store. A few sprays in my mouth and in just a few minutes I am asleep and I wake up feeling refreshed instead of drugged....

I used to be a meth head years ago and I did not sleep well for several years although I drank massive amounts of liquor. I think sleeplessness may go with the territory. I hope you will try the Bach Flower Remedy...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

gwen...............
sleep is very important for you heres something that is usually recommended for those who have sleep issues.........

Good “hygiene” is anything that helps you to have a healthy life. The idea behind sleep hygiene is the same as dental hygiene. Dental hygiene helps you stay healthy by keeping your teeth and gums clean and strong. Sleep hygiene helps you stay healthy by keeping your mind and body rested and strong. Following these tips will help you sleep better and feel your best.

Dental hygiene can even be a part of your sleep hygiene. It is easier for you to fall asleep at night if you have bedtime “rituals.” These are things that you do every night just before going to bed. Brushing and flossing your teeth is a good example of this kind of ritual. Both your dentist and your doctor will approve if you do this every night.

Here are some tips for how you can improve your sleep hygiene:

Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
If you are not sleepy at bedtime, then do something else. Read a book, listen to soft music or browse through a magazine. Find something relaxing, but not stimulating, to take your mind off of worries about sleep. This will relax your body and distract your mind.

If you are not asleep after 20 minutes, then get out of the bed.
Find something else to do that will make you feel relaxed. If you can, do this in another room. Your bedroom should be where you go to sleep. It is not a place to go when you are bored. Once you feel sleepy again, go back to bed.

Begin rituals that help you relax each night before bed.
This can include such things as a warm bath, light snack or a few minutes of reading.

Get up at the same time every morning.
Do this even on weekends and holidays.

Get a full night’s sleep on a regular basis.
Get enough sleep so that you feel well-rested nearly every day.

Avoid taking naps if you can.
If you must take a nap, try to keep it short (less than one hour). Never take a nap after 3 p.m.

Keep a regular schedule.
Regular times for meals, medications, chores, and other activities help keep the inner body clock running smoothly.

Don’t read, write, eat, watch TV, talk on the phone, or play cards in bed.

Do not have any caffeine after lunch.

Do not have a beer, a glass of wine, or any other alcohol within six hours of your bedtime.

Do not have a cigarette or any other source of nicotine before bedtime.

Do not go to bed hungry, but don’t eat a big meal near bedtime either.

Avoid any tough exercise within six hours of your bedtime.
You should exercise on a regular basis, but do it earlier in the day. (Talk to your doctor before you begin an exercise program.)

Avoid sleeping pills, or use them cautiously.
Most doctors do not prescribe sleeping pills for periods of more than three weeks. Do not drink alcohol while taking sleeping pills.

Try to get rid of or deal with things that make you worry.
If you are unable to do this, then find a time during the day to get all of your worries out of your system. Your bed is a place to rest, not a place to worry.

Make your bedroom quiet, dark, and a little bit cool.
An easy way to remember this: it should remind you of a cave. While this may not sound romantic, it seems to work for bats. Bats are champion sleepers. They get about 16 hours of sleep each day. Maybe it’s because they sleep in dark, cool caves.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

((Gwen))

I bet your mind is fighting with fear right now. I think you are facing some time away from home soon and maybe your brain is afraid to shut off for fear of missing something?

I have periods of insomnia like this. Most of mine is based on anxiety. When my life gets unmanageable I can't sleep, or don't fall asleep until 3-4 am even if I have to get up early. My therapist once suggested to me if I couldn't all asleep to scrub the kitchen floor or the bathroom...something I hated doing. He guarenteed I would be back in bed asleep in twenty minutes. I didn't try it ( I really hate scrubbing floors!!) but it seems like it might work.

Just be gentle with yourself and remind yourself that things will return to normal in a few short months. I'm sure you are anxious and its understandable, but you have been through bad before and come out all right. You can get thru this! Hugs!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Gwen,

I take melatonin every night about 1 hour before I go to sleep. I have used this for the past 7 years with excellent results. Do not feel sluggish in the mornings either. It is a natural vitamin that our own bodies produce, some more than others. My adhd sons' psychiatrist is the one that told me about it. He suggested it for my son which was only 14 at the time so I know it is ok. It worked for us and he no longer and hasn't in about 4 years taken any but myself, take it faithfully every night and feel real rested the next morning. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Your sub-concious mind is the controller of both your concisious mind and your body.
Your concious mind believes what the sub-concious mind tells it. So, everynight before you go to sleep, right before, feed your sub-concious mind a thought like "I will be
calm tomorrow I will sleep". Now this needs to be done every night, until you are sleeping on a regular basis. It will sneak up on you, then move onto your next thought until it is resolved. Your heart beats because of your sub-concious mind, everything functions due to your sub-concious mind.

Give it try, what have you got to lose? Only another sleepless night.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gwen,

Excellent advice above me!!! I just posted this recently so I hope I do not seem redundant.

For the past few months I have been doing a technique called EFT which stands for Emotional Freedom Techniques. I started to do it when I was feeling alot of anxiety about my ABF. When those feelings came up I would tap on them and I started feeling better. Now I am more able to stay focused on what I need to do for myself.

It works for colds too. I had a cold that just wasn't getting any better ALL last week, so I started tapping on it Sunday night. Slept really well without taking any cough medicine. A little bit of a cough started when I woke up Monday. So I tapped on it. It's Tuesday, no coughing and no cold medicine since Sunday! I feel really good actually.

It's free and the website is www.emofree.com

Lithloren
Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thinking of you. I bet you have too many thoughts running through your head and can't turn them off. The issues you are facing, plus the way Paul is acting at home are upsetting you more than you think. I don't know the answer, but you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you feel better. Call if you ever want to talk.
susan
Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

I have trouble falling asleep, too, although not as much as I used to. TV doesn't help me; I usually read when I can't sleep, and it is usually recovery books that I have read before. I figure if my brain is going to be working overtime I might as well give it something positive to do.

I hope you feel better soon; being consistantly tired is rough. Prayers and hugs!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((((Gwen)))))))))

I just wanted to send you hugs and support tonight.
Your not crazy. You just have alot on your mind.
Try listening (headphones) to relaxation cd's or new age music.
I sometimes sleep with a mask over my eyes to block out the light I know is
coming the next morning. Do you have a cat? Sleeping with my cat curled up against me always puts me to sleep. You need a teddy cat.
Pleasant dreams tonight, sweetie.
Love ya,
Linda

This might help too. Very soothing. I love mine.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello All. I wanted to pop in here to thank you for the suggestions. I do meditate, read, and have a fan in my room for some noise. I have a history of sleep problems, nightmares, and insomnia. I know this is only temporary. I dont need medication or anything. I cant say I dont need therapy, but all in time. I do practice the some of the meditation such as concentrating on each breath I take, shutting out all other thought. I will try some of the other things mentioned above from the health food store though. I will also be cutting back on the caffine too.

And Noah, I will quit sitting in the dark too!

Liesagain,
I have been told of someof the things you posted but not all of them. Thank you for the post. I will try some of those too.

I will pop back in here in a few days to let you know how it goes for the next few days. I have taken Ambien before. It does wonderful for a good while. But after so long it gave me horrid nightmares. I also found that after taking it, I couldnt remember what I said or did about an hour before I would sleep. I caution anyone taking them. It is addictive too. And it shows up on drug screens. I couldnt take it while in rehab. It was very hard getting off of it. I have also taken Benedryl and that really really knocks me for a loop. I dont like being so out of it. So that isnt an option for me either. Maybe for short term use but not for the sleeping problems I have. So I will try some of the things post above here and let you all know.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I kind of scanned the posts real quick before I had to chime in another thought> Alcohol, although it is a depressant, is the WORST thing for sleep. Alcohol prevents your body from going into that REM sleep you need to recharge your batteries. Chronic alcoholics never ever get a good night's sleep even though they may seem "dead to the world"; it's not the same. Have you ever noticed that after drinking, you may seem to drop off to sleep instantaneously but then wake up just a couple or three hours later and lie awake for (what seems like) a long time before you drop off to sleep again? Well, that is the alcohol disrupting your sleep patterns, alcohol-induced dehydration makes it worse. The more alcohol you ingest, the worse it is.
You must have not only REM sleep, but also the deep, deep sleep that "paralyzes" you. Have you ever kind of half-ways woken up, but not been able to move and it scares the living daylight out of you and then you drop back off to sleep and you think it was a dream? Well, it wasn't. Your primitive brain is awake and "on alert" all the time--a protective feature leftover from our caveman days to keep us from being eaten/attacked in our sleep and this is what "woke" you up---something in the room moved or made a sound. It is actually extremely rare to awake by yourself in this stage of sleep. On the other hand you, at that time, are in the deepest sleep you can achieve, the kind that REALLY recharges your batteries: all function is shut down except for your metabolic processes. YOu do not dream at this time. Alcohol also prevents that.
So my advice is no alcohol at all if you are trying to get on a normal sleep schedule.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Gwen, I have used Sleepytime tea.........supermarkets have it. Another one is Tension Tamer Tea. Both very relaxing. Try it and sleep tight sweetie.

Hugs..............Lo