Senseless Death

Old 06-07-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Senseless Death

I am really struggling with a senseless death of an 18 yr old girl. She was abducted from a Target parking lot in broad daylight. There was video footage of her being forced into a car. She graduated from high school 2 weeks ago in Overland Park, KS and they found her body yesterday after an exhaustive search involving hundreds of people.

Her mom is from Des Moines. I know people who know her, and apparently the man who grabbed this young woman and ultimately killed her got information about Kelsey from her MySpace page.

Our children are exposed in so many ways now, with the advent of cell phones that take pictures and send videos etc etc... and I think there is a false sense of security with information they share online.

If you have kids who send instant messages or text messages or who frequent MySpace or YouTube, PLEASE talk to them about sharing personal information. You never know who is reading it or what they can learn.

The other thing of note is that they located her body from a "ping" from a cell phone tower. The lesson is that you should always have your cell phone with you, not in your car etc. The technology is such that even if you're disabled in some way, your phone can still help in locating where you are!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19065065/from/ET/

Prayers for Kelsey, her family, and all of our children.

Cats
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I seen on the news here in Missouri about Kelsey. I seen her sister give an interview. I am so sorry for this beautiful girl. She had a whole life ahead of her. I offer my prayers for her.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

prayers for her & all the people who love her. i have 4 teenage grandchildren & all of them have a my space web. their moms do not see the danger of it.something else i have no control over.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

we were just discussing this horrible tragedy here at work. i'm am so sorry for all this young girl and her family. my prayers are with them.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So Sad. It makes me sick to my stomach too.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This story hit so close to home for me, my 18 year old daughter just graduated alittle more than 2 weeks ago too............and I think about things like her walking in a parking lot at college or shopping and the horrible things that happen........I try very hard not to dwell on these reports because they raise my anxiety
but when I heard this report I felt so horrible for this family.............
Just like other evils in life we tell our children we warn them and we try to protect them..............but life is what it is and we cant control it............Goodness I hate that part so much
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

My prayers go out to all impacted by kelsey'stragic and unnecessary death...It's so difficult to get through such losses; so hard to understand.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

My heart aches for this family and all the people who loved this young woman.
What a senseless tragedy. Sending prayers up for all of them...

Old 06-07-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is senseless. Tonight I am going to talk to my nieces about their myspace and make sure they understand that not everyone is their friends or nice people. I did make them remove thier age and where they live awhile ago. I also see kids post their phone #'s to their friends to call them its so true they dont understand that not only their friends view that stuff. Scary world out there.