the kid wants to go inpatient.... need resource!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the kid wants to go inpatient.... need resource!

kid wants to get off methadone... been on it two weeks. She went to hospital, but they said they couldn't help. She is on two high of a dose. She is living God knows where...
She has her old "almost" sponsor with her. She asked if I could look up some places. So far, there are two, but in Florida. We are in NJ.
Any thoughts? By the grace of God she is still covered under my insurance for around 3 wks of inpatient.
thanks, jeepgirl
Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know much about getting off methadone, but I would suggest calling your insurance company and asking them. Or if that doesn't work, tey calling the United Way-they have resources and referals for pretty much everything you can imagine!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

A google search brought forth many.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...thadone+Rehabs
You'll have to look though for something that fits your needs.

I honestly suggest you give her a few numbers and let her do the footwork. It'll let you know if she's ready or not. Don't waste your time if she's not willng to do the footwork. It's her recovery.
(I know it's easier to say than to do. I've been in your shoes.)

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Shalom!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jeep, I just PM'd you a couple of possibilities and phone numbers in NJ. I don't know anything personally about the first one but it is affiliated with a hospital. The second one I have personal experience with and they were there when needed and had some very good staff...many addicts in recovery for years so they know the disease. Sending lots of prayers that this is her time. Hugs
Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

>I honestly suggest you give her a few numbers and let her do the footwork. It'll let you know if she's ready or not. Don't waste your time if she's not willng to do the footwork. It's her recovery.
<

Is someone in her situation able to do the footwork? If not is it ok to do it for them or to help?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Jeep,
I called a narcotics hotline and the angel on the other end gave me a list of numbers that could take my son under the circumstances.
She ended the call with telling me that he was in her prayers, and he would have to set the deal up.
I made the calls regarding whether or not they could take him (I was a little better at asking the right questions), but he had to make the call, and take the appointment when a bed opened.
Don't be discouraged with a waiting list...get on the list.
Adding my prayers that this is her time
((((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 06-06-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your insurance company can give you a list of facilities that are covered. You/she can call/pick which one. When Kasey called last month the one I selelcted didn't have a female bed, but I put her on the waiting list and took her to county detox. Less than 48hrs later they called w/ a bed! She is still there. Sometimes things open up when they are supposed to.
God bless
susan
Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Finding the numbers is helpful I think...It is difficult and frustrating to get through the system for anyone....we are not a society that cares well for those with mental health issues and substance abuse problems. I know that you will let her do the legwork... with laws the way they are, it is impossible not to...Medical facilities and treatment centers must speak directly with the patient and won't do anything but let you know if they offer the service. Like Cece, I found weeding out the ones that couldn't help at least made it less frustrating for my daughter to call for help.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On a tear

If she is ready, it should all work out exactly right.

You and she have long been in my prayers, Jeep. And those continue.

(((JeepGirl)))
Old 06-06-2007, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jeep, No number, but lots of prayers coming your way for you and your daughter. I pray she finds what she needs and that this time it sticks. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

My AH went to Arms Acres in Orange Co, New York, Westchester. It's in Carmel, NY. They take women, lovely acreage etc. I thought it was beautiful, AH was a poop head about it all. But he was clean for 7 mos. after that...as long as he ever has been.

((Jeep))
Old 06-06-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

PS. Jeep...one thing I've always noticed about your AD is that she KEEPS TRYING, over and over. I'm glad that she does. It's not easy, but I will pray this is her time.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Jeep,
No advice from me, just hugs and hope....
Old 06-07-2007, 03:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

Originally Posted by Easeful View Post
>I honestly suggest you give her a few numbers and let her do the footwork. It'll let you know if she's ready or not. Don't waste your time if she's not willng to do the footwork. It's her recovery.
<

Is someone in her situation able to do the footwork? If not is it ok to do it for them or to help?
Hi, easeful...
Jeep's girl wants to get off methadone. If I'm not mistaken, she has a mental health issue too. That's not unusual. And it does make things harder. But, in the end, she has to do it for herself anyway. I can tell you, I made myself sick trying to get help for my son when he just wasn't ready.
Today, I support my son's positive efforts. And the rest of the time, it's "hand's off the addict!"
Hope this helps...

Shalom!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

jeepgirl - i don't know where in nj you are but not far from philly (about 20min?) is a good place in Malvern PA, its called the Malvern Institute - my rah spent 2mos there years ago and i have been told by numerous professionals that its one of the best in the state. hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
let it grow!

your daughter is lucky to have you. prayers to your family - k
Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thank you all for your good advise. She was living on the streets, using, and started at the methadone clinic in Newark out of desperation I think. After two weeks of getting mostly cleaned up, she decided that it wasn't such a great idea to be where she went to get drugs.
But, she is on parole (another strong incentive) and can not leave the state. She asked them today, as she found a place to go to in Florida.
She said she was happy actually that they didn't let her go. So, she is figuring things out, and I am pleased that she got picked up for a meeting tonight.
She will have to keep going to the clinic until she is tapered down, or something else works out. Honestly, it is giving her a motive to make a change. So, all is good.
Thank you good people,
jeepgirl
Old 06-08-2007, 06:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
let it grow!

please keep us posted, jeepgirl. meanwhile, i'm praying big time for your daughter. blessings, k
Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi, (((Jeep))),

Well, South Florida is the Recovery Capital of the Known Universe. There are links from this site to facilities in every state, though.

My AS had to go from methadone to suboxone ( a form of buprenorpine, which is also a methadone altermative) because he could never get titrated down from methadone without getting wildly sick.

He is now detoxing outpatient with suboxone, and again, because it's Florida, there are about a zillion doctors who now do this outpatient. There should also be links from this site to the list of approved docs (they have to get approved by the feds) who can do this in any state. Son says when you ask if they take insurance, they laugh hysterically.

It's all fyi -- I have always felt better when i had mounds of information -- even if my son/brother/cousin/uncle/etc never wanted any help. Iit made me feel cozier, while I sat back and waited for them to ask (image of nitelite holding her breath and turning blue while waiting)
probably a(nother) codie thing...

prayers for you both~nitelite