Marijuana

Old 06-11-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
The World Is Yours

Marijuana has been an on going problem for myself ever since high school. its been two years since graduating high school and ive been inn an out of college have gotten busted several times with it..... its funny everyone talks about those recreational smokers like KIMM but ive yet to meet one in real life... of course theyre life might seem good and perfect externaly but no one knows wat goes on internaly... i live in new york and i've been privileged enough to grow up in not a wealthy but well off family... so ive gotten the chance to interact with various kids my age... and ive met kids that attend top schools in the nation like Columbia and NYU that smoke pot and one would think hey these kids go to top school it must be ok.. but when u really hang out with these kids and see wat theyre like theyre actually far from ok.... i think the biggest problem with marijuana over the years has been the perception from celebrities coming off making it seem like its fine.. but really its not.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nice0502 View Post
Marijuana has been an on going problem for myself ever since high school. its been two years since graduating high school and ive been inn an out of college have gotten busted several times with it..... its funny everyone talks about those recreational smokers like KIMM but ive yet to meet one in real life... of course theyre life might seem good and perfect externaly but no one knows wat goes on internaly... i live in new york and i've been privileged enough to grow up in not a wealthy but well off family... so ive gotten the chance to interact with various kids my age... and ive met kids that attend top schools in the nation like Columbia and NYU that smoke pot and one would think hey these kids go to top school it must be ok.. but when u really hang out with these kids and see wat theyre like theyre actually far from ok.... i think the biggest problem with marijuana over the years has been the perception from celebrities coming off making it seem like its fine.. but really its not.
I don't think people's internal problems are a symptom of marijuana use. I understand what you're saying though about people seeming fine on the outside but not being fine on the inside.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Pot's harmless, huh? I got an ex in jail now for breaking into someones house and stealing because he wanted money to get high....no motivation to work, cause he was always high........addiction is progressive, doesn't matter what the drug is.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jwife22 View Post
Pot's harmless, huh? I got an ex in jail now for breaking into someones house and stealing because he wanted money to get high....no motivation to work, cause he was always high........addiction is progressive, doesn't matter what the drug is.
I don't think anyone has actually said that pot is harmless. We're just discussing people's experiences with it. I'm sorry about your ex.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Dunno----guess I got the impression of that when I kept reading that some think its okay to smoke. Its illegal, plain and simple. JMHO

Oh don't be sorry about the ex. I broke up with him long before that cause I could see the path he was headed down....he got what he deserved.......

Last edited by Jwife22; 06-12-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: added something
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Dunno----guess I got the impression of that when I kept reading that some think its okay to smoke. Its illegal, plain and simple. JMHO

Oh don't be sorry about the ex. I broke up with him long before that cause I could see the path he was headed down....he got what he deserved.......
It's my personal opinion that just as some people can drink alcohol occassionally without becoming an alcoholic, some people can also smoke marijuana occassionally without becoming an addict.

That's not to say that marijuana doesn't ruin lives....because it definitely CAN (just like alcohol) but for the average person smoking it occassionally is not a problem (just like alcohol).
Old 06-13-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
The World Is Yours

average person what exactly do u consider an average person????? i think im pretty average and look at where pot got me.... need less to say im only 20 and got my whole future ahead of me but u get wat i mean.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Ok, if you have a pot addiction don't smoke it. If you don't have an addiction to pot and occassionaly enjoy some smoke, smoke it. Other wise people should worry less about everyone else who isnt addicted to pot and concentrate more on taking care of those of thiers who are. There are many pot users that just do not become addicted to pot. If you believe its bad people...its bad...if you believe its ok...its ok. I do not think it is that bad, that is a belief in my world and in your own individual worlds it is up to you to decide. BTW all drugs taking illegally without a legal prescription from a doctor, or not filled by a pharmacist to the inteded patient is as illegal as getting crack from a street dealer. You get charged the same for taking or possesing someones elses Oxys as crack. This is just a diffrence of opinion.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nice0502 View Post
average person what exactly do u consider an average person????? i think im pretty average and look at where pot got me.... need less to say im only 20 and got my whole future ahead of me but u get wat i mean.
By "average person" I meant someone who has no addiction issues/behaviors.

The "average person" can have a few drinks on the weekend without becoming an alcoholic. The "average person" can smoke a joint every once in a while without becoming an addict.

I didn't mean to imply that anyone specific wasn't an "average person" ....mostly it's just an expression that people use.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:51 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

The "average person" can have a few drinks on the weekend without becoming an alcoholic. The "average person" can smoke a joint every once in a while without becoming an addict.
I suppose I just don't get this. Alcohol is legal for those of age. Marijuana is not. To me this statement implies, its okay to do herion (cocaine, crack, meth, etc.)every once in a while as long as you aren't an addict. JMO
Old 06-14-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I suppose I just don't get this. Alcohol is legal for those of age. Marijuana is not. To me this statement implies, its okay to do herion (cocaine, crack, meth, etc.)every once in a while as long as you aren't an addict. JMO
IMO not everything that is legal should be legal and not everything that is illegal should be either. I am generally someone who follows laws and rules, however, I am also someone who doesn't think something just because someone else tells me to. If they made a law tomorrow stating that gum chewing is illegal (which is the case in some countries) I wouldn't consider gum chewers criminals. I supposed my point here is....just because some guys in government tell us something is "wrong" doesn't mean it necessarily is (and please don't take this as me implying that murder, rape and robbery is okay because that's not what I mean).

That said, I honestly feel that if alcohol is legal then marijuana should be as well (but that's a WHOLE other can of worms!! lol). As I mentioned before it is really not looked at as that big of a deal where I live. Generally if you have a small personal amount on you then nobody cares.

I'm not sure where ANY of my posts have implied that it's okay to do cocaine, crack and meth. I have stated VERY CLEARLY that I'm referring to marijuana (which is a MUCH different thing).
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

We'll just agree to disagree. I believe mj is a drug that can lead to harder drugs and that is why it is illegal. I tend to try to stay within the boundaries of the law so that my record stays clean. I'd have to have a pot possession on my record, it would surely limit my job opportunities.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

ok, ok, ok, i was going to avoid this, but... i can't.

i agree with wantsout more than anything. if you can smoke herb and enjoy life, beautiful. i can't, 'cause i'll end up getting drunk somewhere on that road and then i'm dead. but, if someone else can, go ahead! i loved herb! i LOVED it. i loved everything surrounding herb, the music, the communion of smoking together, living with kids who'll get stoned and eat lasagne with you while you watch "I love the 80's", etc. i'm not gonna lie, i had a LOT of fun. but-i couldn't stop. and that, THAT is the difference. any addiction is bad news, be it marijuana, cocaine, meth, alcohol, sex, exercise, food, t.v., work... anything can be taken too far. kids who i smoked with, including my best buddy sam, don't have that problem. sam quit smoking 'cause he got tired of it. so did will, so did leo... i never would have done that. i never would have gotten tired of it. i still want to smoke herb sometimes, i still get cravings and it's been a while now.

so-addiction sucks, marijuana is great, and that's all i have to say. i wish i wasn't an addict and i could get stoned every now and again. hahahaha! THAT is how i know i'm an addict!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I just got back on here today.. been so busy of late...

I can only add this.. my experience is similar to Jwife's with MJ. I don't want it around or ppl who smoke it around me. My choice and my booundary.

However, this conversation came up at a party not too long ago and I said I wanted nuthing to do with any guys who smoked it or did any other illegal drugs. I also don't need an alcohlic for a relationship either (been there and done that.. doesn't work well).

anyhow, the comment that came out of this was, "If that is your boundary, expect to spend a lot of your life alone!" I did not respond but I thought to myself, "Isn't it a shame that mind altering drugs and alcohol have become so accepted in our culture."

I agree, my boundary on this has truly had me spend a LOT of time alone. However, that is OK with me... as I never again want to be hurt like I was with my XABF. If that is all that is left over when you are my age, then alone is looking darn good.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

We'll just agree to disagree. I believe mj is a drug that can lead to harder drugs and that is why it is illegal. .
I firmly believe that when it comes down to what the 'gateway' drug is-I think it is alcohol. Most people start out by drinking.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

If it messes with my mind..it's not for me.

I refuse psudophedrine too, I'm not messing around. It's the only way I can stay sober.

If you can smoke up and keep it in check more power to you. For me it's as simple as saying no mind controlling substances in my life. Quitting smoking is my next step.

One day at a time.

Blesses.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I tend to be of the same school of thought as some in that if its illegal, then its not for me. It just simply isn't worth the consequences. Do I like it? Oh, who even knows...I smoked back in HS, which was most likely the equivalent of pulling grass from your yard.
But even if I did enjoy it, I'm not the type to trust something that someone else "says" is this or that.
Not real trusting in today's world.
But...I'm also not one to take another's personal inventory. Its pretty cut and dry (no pun inteneded, I swear ) for me...don't want it in me or around me, so I'll take measures to take care of me.
Whatever someone else wants to do is up to them.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:16 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Elana,
You won't spend most of your life alone! That is a ridiculous statement someone made to you! There are plenty of others out there who either have had experiences that have led them to the same decisions as you, or people who just aren't into alteration of the mind. It is perfectly acceptable and healthy for you to choose this boundary! And just so you know, I'm right there with you!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:19 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I was just reading this info about the dangers of marijuana and how it affects the body and the brain. It is so sad that so many people choose denial about the harmful effects that it has on you. When I tried to point this out to my XAAH, he just dismissed it as propoganda that "the man" is putting out there to try to keep him from getting high. He and many other potsmokers I know actually believe that it is not harmful and has no adverse effects mentally or physically. If only I could convince him...
Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher View Post
I was just reading this info about the dangers of marijuana and how it affects the body and the brain. It is so sad that so many people choose denial about the harmful effects that it has on you. When I tried to point this out to my XAAH, he just dismissed it as propoganda that "the man" is putting out there to try to keep him from getting high. He and many other potsmokers I know actually believe that it is not harmful and has no adverse effects mentally or physically. If only I could convince him...

the fact is that with ANY drug your efforts to try to CONVINCE the addict of anything are pretty much pointless....if they want to do it, they are going to do it-no matter how many facts you drop on them.