Marijuana

Old 06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Coming form an ex total pot head..
As drug is a drug is drug is a drug.

maybe if said it this....a buzz is buzz is a buzzzz..
getting high is getting high

well..i never got a DUI..that didn't prevented me from going to AA.
And of course i functioned well for many, many years getting drunk and high.
I go to school with blood shot eyes and sit in front of the class
and get an A+ in my math,science and eletronics classes easily.
The only reason why I had to stop smoking pot was becuase i went into
the usaf..So it was just a matter of substition to alcohol to catch a buzz.
I functioned for years and years just drinking..

but ultimately it was only a matter of time when i started getting high
again at work. I did that for a longtime too, then I did meth..
Well...my employer didn't complain when i was willing to bust my butt
12 hours a day zooming around tweek out of mind getting all kinds of
work done. I go to happy hours after work and party my butt off too..

The problem I had with getting clean and sober was..
In my perception, I thought an alki was a wino and an addict was a hype.
I had a great job and I sure as heck didn't stick a needle in my arm or
was hobo living in an alley.
I went round and round with it..until i actaully started reading the books
and educating myself to the nature of the disease of addiction.
The facts...not my perceptions or opinions...

I can probably go out and get stone or drunk and nothing bad would
happen to me at first. Maybe it might take 5 to 10 years for me to hit
bottom again..but why go down that road I've traveled already?
It's not if I'm going to hit bottom....that's a given...
It's just a matter of when and how much I'm willing to suffer.
it dosn't happen overnite..I'll justify it all day long if I use.

oki doki..i'm a mellow person to begin with..no I wasn't mean when i was high
I love enjoying my buzz...the problems is..I also suffer from a lot of depression
MJ and aclohol side effects are depression becuase it's a downer type of drugs.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

My XABF was an addict from Age 12. He used EVERYTHING short of a needle. No idea what he would have been if he had stuck with Pot but he did Coke and pills and LSD and all kinds of stuff. Spent most of his life, to quote him, "f**ked up on drugs."

So, I can honestly say that EVERYTHING he did was that of an addict. I read the Stickies at the top of this forum and with the exception of violence, he was EVERY BLESSED ONE of those things. Lies, cheating, emotionally unavailable, uncaring, self centered.. Oh you all know the list.

He SAYS he was "only" doing pot during the time I knew him. However, sometimes he was so hyped I think he had a line thrown in there on occasion.. (sometimes he would fall asleep after sex.. and other times it seemd like sex actually made him MORE hyper?)

I don't know.. I do know he was a scumbag who took me for a helluva a ride and put me at risk financially, legally and physically (STD's).

I do know he smpked pot all the time and he was an addict thru and thru. My experience would direct me to stay wy from weed or anyone using it. I have only my experience to go on.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Pot was the in thing to do when I was young. But yes, they don't get alcohol violent,
but there is amotivational syndrome. Laughing...that wears off....what I have seen is that they get absolutely neglectful. And who can pass a drug test to support a job and family?
I could take a toke today if I wanted to. But feeling healthy, it doesn't feel good. Some of my friends smoke. That is none of my business.
But don't be having pot parties at my daughter's home where she could lose her child!
Actually, I watch people smoke on a semi-regular basis. I can see and hear the difference in their voices.
I do think it is insane that alcohol is legal and pot is such a crime. Never heard of someone crossing the center line and killing a family of five because they were high on pot. Lots of stories of sitting at a green light...duhhhhed out tho'.
For me it is simple...it is a depressant. I take anti-depressants. Why shoot myself in the foot?
I see both points.
But I am afraid that I have seen too many ruined lives over pot, that I just don't want to be a part of it.
From experience.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

PS....blast away. Here is an example of possible hypocrite. I am having a glass of wine now.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

if it makes any difference I have my shrink's permission to drink socially.
She is the one who monitors me and administers my drugs.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I would agree with everyone simply because each situation is diffrent. There are diffrences in using pot and then there are situations where pot is used for more than just a innocent relaxing buzz. A lot of addicts will use pot or booze to take the edge of of the hit. There are people that are here among us to better describe it but i have seen people do that and it is used as a tool many times to cut the edge. I dunno...personally I have no problem with me and pot ( i dont use it, job) so maybe I should prefface things with we are all diffrent with diffrent reactions to things. It makes me relaxed in small doses a and makes me hungry...Also addicts will at times smoke thier drug of choice in thier blunt, a primo i think, takes the edge off...i dunno but a buzz is a buzz is a buzz...some buzzes are not like smoking a joint it appears to be and the after effects are totally diffrent. For those who have been harmed by pot user I am not taking away from that...its terrible I just think in most cases there is already more drugs involved we are just not aware or told...One more thing a friend/disabled vet friend of my from the first gulf war uses pot to control pain. It does a good job he says and he does not take his synthetic morphine (what they get people off of herion? he hate that) but the VA want him on narcotics...My friend is dying of degenterative spine, tumors on his organs and uncontrolled internal bleeding and he is 37 and fully millitary retired from his condition...there is a good use in cases for pot...but overall it is a drug and should be treated that way....JMHO

Last edited by Noah812; 06-05-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by liveweyerd View Post
For me it is simple...it is a depressant. I take anti-depressants. Why shoot myself in the foot?

I have a friend who is on antidepressents and he also smokes pot. he says it removes his anxiety. But like you said, they counteract each other don't they? How can i convince him of this?

Pot used to relax me, but over time it started to give me anxiety-so i stopped...i guess I'm just weird.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Liveweyered your not being hypocritical your a grown woman making her own choices...thats what life is about...free will to make those choices...thanks for the post
Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm coming into this discussion late, but had to throw my 2 cents worth in. My husband's pot habit was directly responsible for the breakdown of our marriage and everything that goes along with that. Like some, he is a daily and extremely heavy pot smoker - has been for decades. Is he addicted? Absolutely. I could not compete with a baggie full of green-gray leaves. Isn't that pathetic - what a kick in the head. He loved it more than anything else in his life - he allowed it to take him (usually with me in tow) to places neither of us should have been. Around people neither of us should have known. He knew what the risks were - he's been tested at least 3 times at various jobs. He drives while smoking and high. He knew that eventually I would have to ask him to choose. And he did. He chose drugs. Pot first...crack second... All I know is that this benign little natural substance has complete and utter control of him. And he lost everything we had together because of it.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

a drug is a drug...period. i do not understand it either.it about like alcohol only it is legal.it tears families a part.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Mj

I lost a cherished relationship over pot when I asked my xabf to confront his addiction. I didn't demand that he quit cold turkey, I didn't threaten to leave if he didn't stop in the near future. I just wanted him to get into some sort of program or therapeutic setting so he might discover why he opted for this daily escape. He wanted out of our relationship soon after I made this request for him to seek a healthier way of life... for both of us if we were to be together (and after he reluctanctly went to two counseling sessions).
I think choosing pot over your girlfriend who loves the hell out of you and wants to be with you is a testament to its ability to suck people in. I think the subtlety of its effects are what deceive people into subscribing to its harmlessness. Just because you can function under its influence and go about your day and you can't overdose on it does not disqualify it as a potentially toxic substance. Yes, the biological tendencies of the user may dictate how it effects the individual but I will say this from personal experience: When you see someone you love with unfulfilled potential unable to live without it on a daily basis, life their life like they are 21 but they are 35 and walk away from a woman who loves them because they refuse to face reality and themselves, its potentially devastating effects become crystal clear.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Pot has ruined my son's life. He smoked throughout his high school years and didn't bother going to classes because he felt so much better getting high. He never graduated. I confess that I never quite got it because I used to smoke when I was in my 20's and when I stopped smoking, I simply stopped. However, his counselors say quite clearly, "It's not your mother's marijuana," meaning the stuff is more powerful than it used to be when I was smoking it. They say that it's often laced with other drugs and clearly packs a more powerful punch than the marijuana of old. In fact, in one of his former rehab programs, which was an adolescent program, the kids were there because of pot.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

my ah is very involved in the cannibis-culture. we are going through a divorce and we had a court day today about visitation and his drug issue with cocaine. anyway, he informed me plain as day the "marijuana is his first love....and the love of his life. it never lets him down like people do". That's a real way to put your family first isn't it??
Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

I think we all know, or have heard of, people who really dig wine. They collect wine, they go to wine gatherings, go on wine vacations to visit vineyards, etc. There are people like that who are not alcoholics. They are people who love wine.

I think there are people who smoke pot who are like that. They dig pot.

What is the difference between someone who enjoys a substance and one who is addicted? We know it when we see it, don't we? It's hard to put into words. Is there damage? Is the family unhappy? Is the person harming him/herself? Can they go without it? Can they go without it without making a big show about going without it?

I am not a puritain - I think it's perfectly ok to use a chemical to feel good as long as it's not a problem. Three glasses of wine on a Friday night? Go ahead. Two joints at a party? Go for it. But growing in the basement today is as bad an idea as moonshining was during prohibition ... it's an illegal act that puts the family at risk.

Someone can take a valium one night and enjoy 12 hours of sleep and I don't have a problem with that. Ordering illegal valium on the internet cause you desperately want it? That's a problem.

ok now I'm just rambling.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WantsOut View Post
I think we all know, or have heard of, people who really dig wine. They collect wine, they go to wine gatherings, go on wine vacations to visit vineyards, etc. There are people like that who are not alcoholics. They are people who love wine.

I think there are people who smoke pot who are like that. They dig pot.

What is the difference between someone who enjoys a substance and one who is addicted? We know it when we see it, don't we? It's hard to put into words. Is there damage? Is the family unhappy? Is the person harming him/herself? Can they go without it? Can they go without it without making a big show about going without it?

I am not a puritain - I think it's perfectly ok to use a chemical to feel good as long as it's not a problem. Three glasses of wine on a Friday night? Go ahead. Two joints at a party? Go for it. But growing in the basement today is as bad an idea as moonshining was during prohibition ... it's an illegal act that puts the family at risk.

Someone can take a valium one night and enjoy 12 hours of sleep and I don't have a problem with that. Ordering illegal valium on the internet cause you desperately want it? That's a problem.

ok now I'm just rambling.
Very well said.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

My beloved ex "son-in-law" was the addict type. A heart breaking story that broke up an engagement and a family and involved all sorts of lying, deceit, resentment, neglect and argument.

Nevertheless, I do see people smoke recreationally without any addiction or negative consequences.

I have ethics. I know it is illegal.

I would really, really be interested in knowing more about the statistics, culture, crimes, and drug habits of Holland. As Amsterdam is well know. How do things work out in other societies with other laws?

For example, I was astounded to learn while in South America from a dear friend from Columbia that chewing coca (sp?) leaves was like us drinking a cup of coffee.
The children chewed it like gum! No one thought anything about it.
Today's reality in Columbia........they were all working for us gringos....picking leaves for our cocaine and it was so abundant and well-paying that now none of those of that generation are adjusted for legitimate and low-paying jobs.

Anyway....I am interested in Holland. I found it to be a far more civilized progressive society....not sure where to look for the info I want.

just a couple of cents...and I picked up two pennies from parking lots today, so you can throw this two cents on the ground.

live
Old 06-10-2007, 11:27 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I think I am beginning to see the light...

Originally Posted by Kimm992 View Post
I find this comment pretty offensive to be honest. In my response to this thread I never once pointed a finger or called anyone out on their opinion.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion on the subject and I am entitled to mine.

Clearly no matter what I say on the subject (or anyone else who disagrees with you) I will be written off as being someone who is into the drug and "in denial" about it....so there really is no point in debating my side of this.
Hi Kimm- here is what I said-
"Those of you who are on here justifying it, and excusing it as a lesser issue than the other drugs are exactly why I started this post!"

This is me exclaiming that the mentality expressed by some respondents was exactly the one I had noted which caused me to write the post in the first place. I really wanted to see the different responses, especially from people who have had similar experiences to mine.

How is this any kind of a personal attack on you or your opinion?
How is this disrespectful in any way?

I also did not call anybody out, point any fingers, or act like anyone was not entitled to their opinion. I believe everyone on this site is here to try to better our lives, and there is no reason to be grumpy with each other!

I know things can be misinterpreted when you can only read them, and you can't see body language/facial expressions, etc. so perhaps it would be good for all of us to assume the best from each other rather than the worst?

Thanks!
Pencil Pusher
Old 06-11-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher View Post
Hi Kimm- here is what I said-
"Those of you who are on here justifying it, and excusing it as a lesser issue than the other drugs are exactly why I started this post!"

This is me exclaiming that the mentality expressed by some respondents was exactly the one I had noted which caused me to write the post in the first place. I really wanted to see the different responses, especially from people who have had similar experiences to mine.

How is this any kind of a personal attack on you or your opinion?
How is this disrespectful in any way?

I also did not call anybody out, point any fingers, or act like anyone was not entitled to their opinion. I believe everyone on this site is here to try to better our lives, and there is no reason to be grumpy with each other!

I know things can be misinterpreted when you can only read them, and you can't see body language/facial expressions, etc. so perhaps it would be good for all of us to assume the best from each other rather than the worst?

Thanks!
Pencil Pusher

Sure.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liveweyerd View Post
My beloved ex "son-in-law" was the addict type. A heart breaking story that broke up an engagement and a family and involved all sorts of lying, deceit, resentment, neglect and argument.

Nevertheless, I do see people smoke recreationally without any addiction or negative consequences.

I have ethics. I know it is illegal.

I would really, really be interested in knowing more about the statistics, culture, crimes, and drug habits of Holland. As Amsterdam is well know. How do things work out in other societies with other laws?

For example, I was astounded to learn while in South America from a dear friend from Columbia that chewing coca (sp?) leaves was like us drinking a cup of coffee.
The children chewed it like gum! No one thought anything about it.
Today's reality in Columbia........they were all working for us gringos....picking leaves for our cocaine and it was so abundant and well-paying that now none of those of that generation are adjusted for legitimate and low-paying jobs.

Anyway....I am interested in Holland. I found it to be a far more civilized progressive society....not sure where to look for the info I want.

just a couple of cents...and I picked up two pennies from parking lots today, so you can throw this two cents on the ground.

live
It would definitely be interesting to see stats!!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I think the bottom line is that marijuana is often thought of as harmless, where no drug is harmless to those with addiction problems ~ alcohol, caffene and nicotine included. But to those who are able to be responsible with any of them...live and let live.
Maybe those of us who have lived with and suffered because of a pot addiction get testy because we're sick of pot being called harmless, like it didn't really cause the problems we faced. It's our perception that we're being attacked, probably because the pot addicts in our lives conditioned us to believe there was nothing wrong with their pot smoking. Once bitten, twice shy.
My AH used to get up several times at night to smoke on our deck. Towards the end, he would slam the deck door to wake me up each time, and say loudly (with kids within earshot, thankfully asleep) "Yum Yum, I love the taste of pot. I'll never stop smoking pot. It's my only pleasure."
Sad.