sponsor

Old 05-25-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sponsor

I have been struggling with the necessity of having a sponsor. but after this weekend I realized I need a sponsor.

i have a woman in mind but i'm not sure 1 how to ask her 2 what kind of committment it will mean for her to have me as "sponsoree" because lets face it i'm a codie just like that rest of us here and i don't want to be a burden on her.

She is a married to her rah for over 30 years and has been working on her own recovery for 25 or so. on wednesday night i realize that she could be a great sponsor for me because we see things and have similar ways of dealing with things except she is much better at dealing with herself than i am.

anyway any words of advise on asking her to take me?!!!

thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

polly,

just go for it - honestly ask her and let her know how much you admire her - the worst she could do is say no - but she would appreciate knowing how much you think of her...

love.
s
Old 05-25-2007, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cmc

Maybe you can go out for coffee and talk about it with her. Alot of people will ask someone to be their temporary sponsor and that way you both can test the waters and see how it works for you both. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I asked and she was very supportive. we talk for about an hour. she is bringing step 1 to work on tonight. she told me i will only get out of it what i'm willing to put in.

i'm nervous but excited at the same time. i know i need this help to work on myself. i'm glad i took the first step towards selfcare.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats. Im hoping to find out who the sponsors are at my alanon meeting this week. I know some, but we clash, so time to broaden out a bit. Im hoping to ahve one before the upcoming N Florida convention, so I dont feel so alone...

(..alone...-yep still a codie, had to check)
Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i totally know what you mean. there is a convention in St. Augustine in a few weeks and i would like to go but 1. i don't have someone to go with and2. it is alittle expensive.

i met with my sponsor and she gave me step work. there is about 8 questions that i look at andthey are very hard to answer and will require alot of effort for me to be honest.

but i look forward to working my steps. Since last week i have never felt better and stronger. sort of like i can do this. i can get throught this in one piece and really come out better than before addiction.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

(((Polly))) Excellent job!! Good for you...I'd love to hear more about how this goes for you. Thanks for sharing this.