AS Quacking from Rehab

Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AS Quacking from Rehab

I went to deliver money and cigarettes to as yesterday with 2 daughters. When we got there he had just gotten back from seeing a psychiatrist, who is taking him off his zoloft and putting him on something else. As told him that he's having anxiety attacks.
He seemed fine yesterday.

Today, we received phone call from him saying that the medication is not working, he can't sleep, and when he finally goes to sleep they wake him up early for meetings (boo hoo). He quacks that he could recover better at home. At least he could sleep, and then he would go to a psychiatrist and meetings. Also quacked that he could easily get drugs there, and that there's terrible things going on there. One of the stories is probably true though, he said a guy checked into the rehab and molested one of the girls last nite. I told him that bad, but if you were not there you would wind up on the street or jail witnessing alot worse. We told him he was not giving us good enough excuses to leave. We told him to work the program, and to try to think positive. I know if he came home now, it would be the same thing all over again. Kind of like that movie "Ground Hog Day".
Old 05-23-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rozied

Hi My name is Diane & my son is a 40 yr old addict. I have not met you before & can't even start to aswer unless I know more about your AS. I know my AS has used every reason under the sun to get out of rehabs & half way houses. He is still in active addiction & still has not reached his bottom even after losing everything. He has spent the last 5 yrs in & out of jail. If your AS was serious about his recovery I don't think he would be coming up with all these excuses to get out. That is just my humble opinion.
I hope he stays & gets the help he needs but if he is in rehab for any reason but because he wants to be it won't help.
You & yours have my prayers,
Love,
Diane
Old 05-23-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh yes...the quack of the rehab duck is very loud and consistant, huh?

My son did some of the same, but eventually settled in when he relaized it wasn't being heard.
It always struck me odd when he would refer to the others there as "them" as if they were so different from him.
Hang in there...the longer he stays, the more he will hear
(((hugs)))
Cece
Old 05-23-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Louise,
Nice to meet you.
I'm the mom of 2 adult addict sons, who, for today are sober.

And, yep, I heard every single excuse in the world when they were in Rehab on why it wasn't going to work out.

Including..."Some guy put his shoes in the dryer, it was noisy, I HAD to leave"

Just a chuckle...you're doing great. Glad he's in Rehab.

Hugs,
Old 05-23-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On a tear

H Louise - another mom, here.

Both my kids did rehab -
daughter: 3 completed, 1 kicked out, 1 completed recovery house, 1 kicked out Oxford House... she is currently clean.(grin)

son: 1 completed, 1 Oxford House completed... he is currently still using.

I got the phone calls, the tears, the anger ... then, after worrying ALL week, SEVERAL times... I would get there to visit on Sunday and Lo! What problem? It was solved and she was on to the next.

If I was doing this today and the calls started... I would be FAR more willing to not answer.

((hugs))
Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BigSis has a good point. Don't answer the calls. His problems to solve. Only upsets you and really can you do anything about it. Sending some hugs, I know it is hard. Hugs, Marle
Old 05-23-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Originally Posted by Louise54 View Post
He quacks that he could recover better at home.
You're right! Quack, quack quack.
Any excuse to get home and start the problems all over again.
But, you sound like a strong person. You're standing your ground, evidence of boundries you have set and stuck to!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

WoW moms united gettin' the message out because when we 1st go through this it is like learning a foreign language. But many of us know the language now and we're speaking it. The behavior we have to learn to use is the opposite of the mothering that feels natural. This forum is the modern day Dr. Spock for mothers with addicted sons and daughters.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace Hope Love

Thanks to all the mom's who have shared their stories, courage, strength and faith. I am praying for everyone. Including each of us!/M
Old 05-23-2007, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Louise, Hang tough! There were the times when my AD was in that she did the same thing. I would talk to her and eventually she would grin and bear it. Not so sure about the grin, but you get it. I accepted all of her calls........kept them positive. When the negativity started I would let her talk then gradually end the call.
The next time I would talk to her her last crisis was old news. I say try to keep the lines open. Let him vent if he has to..........just be a listener.

He'll get through this and so will you.
Blessings...........Lo
Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad he is there and safe. Maybe this time something, someone will be the right thing at the right time. Ya'll are in my prayers,
susan
Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My As Is 20 And Hes Been A Rehab Duck Too. Hes Currently Fresh Out Of A 10 Day Jail Stint Awaiting A Court Date For A Drug Charge. I Wish He Were In A Safe Place Like Rehab, Quacking, Or Not. Hang In There, Hes In The Best Place Right Now. Ill Pray For Him, My As, And Me And You
Old 05-24-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If it wasn't so sad it would actually be funny. He had my daughter on the phone once and then me and I past him on to his dad. He can't sleep, horrible things going on, police dogs, arrests, and on and on. I think with us just telling him to hang in there, no we are not picking him up. Just keep trying, he is getting the message. When he was in another rehab a while back, it was kind of close to home, and he could walk. This place is in no man's land, so he's kind of stuck. With them, trying to find the right medication, he may be there longer than we thought.

As far as we're concerned, the longer the better. The family is going away this weekend, and he can't remember our cell phone numbers, so it will be a weekend of peace. Have a nice holiday, everyone.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

And Moose, the shoes in the dryer is funny. I did get a chuckle. If I get another phone call, I'll ask him if he's sleeping near the washer and dryer. Lol.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
trying to mend

hugs and prayers sent your way to keep your family and your AS strong through this and praying for his recovery as well.