Suboxone question...

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone question...

My husband has been on vicodin es for years for his back. He has to go to work furlough for a DUI he got a while ago and needs to stop taking the vicodin. He wants to take suboxone however he is not sure if this shows up in drug tests and also wants to know how long you have to take it for. Once he's off the vicodin he doesnt want to take it ever again either. I appreciate all the help you can give us.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rozied

I am sorry but I don't know. If anyone does I wish you'd post also. Does Suboxone stop opiate withdrawal without being an opiate & addicting itself?
I would appreciate knowing about this myself.
Thanks for posting this.
Diane
Old 05-20-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It depends. Some use Suboxone to not have the withdrawals. The Addiction special on HBO covered suboxone and said a minimum of two years for most addicts. Some will need it for life. Opiates like Vicodin block receptors for dopamine and when an addict stops the opiates one of the problems is the dopamine no longer works and the addict feels no pleasure from normal life. That is why relapse is so common with opiates. If your husband just wants to avoid the withdrawals then a short term course with suboxone will work. If he wants to avoid relapse and is really committed to getting off opiates then a longer course of suboxone may help him. Marle
Old 05-20-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. Do you know if it's an opiate though? He is worried about it showing up on the drug test they give him when he turns himself in to Work Furlough. If it does show up then he cannot take it at all. We are going to set up an appt for him for this week or next so we need to know the whole deal yanno? I appreciate your help.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here is a website that may answer all of your questions. They will even send you info in the mail. www.naabt.org Hope that helps. Marle
Old 05-20-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up suboxone guy

Hello, I am currently taking suboxone, and it will show up on a drug test if they test for opiates. Depending on the dosage level it will stay in your system for a day or so, it could be detected by a drug test a few days after he takes his last dose, depends on how sophisticated the test is and accurate. If he is using the suboxone to get off of vicodin it will help the withdrawals, because sub is a partial opiate. How long he stays on sub is up to him and his doctor, obviously the longer he stays on sub the longer the withdrawal process will be to get off of sub. Depending on his vicodin habit, he should be off vicodin in 7-10 days, providing he goes on suboxone. Withdrawal off sub is not that bad it depends on dosage amt and for how long he is on it! If you have any questions I will reply, been on drugs and off drugs for thirty years, also have a medical education background! Good Luck! Detox Guy
Old 05-20-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Attention ROZIED yes suboxone is an opiate, partial opiate and it is used for most opiate withdrawals! It is addictive, but not like most opiate drugs on the market or the streets. Detox Guy
Old 05-20-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The questions that you have asked are ones that should have been asked and answered by the physician prescribing the drug. Being in the health care professional as well as the wife of an addict, I'd say your questions need to be answered by your physician or get a new one. This "substitute" needs to be closely monitored, and could put his health at risk. Good luck, hope it works for him.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

cantbelieveit, I agree that suboxone should only be used under a doctor's supervision. My daughter and many other addicts will use sub when they can't get their DOC. Unfortunately suboxone is becoming too easy to get off the streets. Marle
Old 05-20-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My husband hasn't gone to the dr. yet. He is making an appt tomorrow however we just wanted to get some info on it and see if it is something that will help him and something he is even able to do. Thanks for all the info
Old 05-20-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If he has been clean for 72 hours, he can go on Naltrexone which (combined with will power) is a successful recovery drug. It is not an opiate, it blocks receptors. Another version of Naltrexone is used for alcohol addiction.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sub is a synthetic opiate. I has worked well for many who had no hope or life with the drug addiction of opiates.
If you choose the Naltrexone route, just make CERTAIN they do not cheat and take something prior. This will cause a full blown violent withdrawl. This happened to my ex. We detoxed him, and he took something and started the Naltrexone, and was violently ill......two times the regular detox. It was terrible.
Choose a good doctor....they will guide you well.
Good luck.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wolflvr Hi! Okay he has to be in withdrawal first, before he takes the suboxone. Anotherwords stop taking vicodin for a couple of days,be in withdrawal first, then start on sub, if he takes sub while on vicodin it will put him into immediate withdrawal,not good! You got to be in withdrawal , 2-3 days better, before start taking sub. It will for mostpeople take him 7-10 days for his body to eliminate the vicodin, how he feels and how long he wants to be on subox is up to him. REMEMBER! Longer he stays on sub the longer to get off sub, titrate your dose level and you should be okay! Anymore questions, contact me, no problemo, Detox Guy
Old 05-21-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Detox Guy: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cool

good luck! anytime! Detox Guy